Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Share your experience on GMATPrep tests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Share your experience on GMATPrep tests [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 07:54
Today, I took my first GMATPrep test and scored misirable 640 :twisted: (Q46;V32), while I expected to reach 700+

I got:
- 17 quantative questions wrong, which resulted in 46 (I expected that Q section would be easy, but it was quite similar to GMAT challenges :x )
- 11 verbal questions wrong (7 wrong RC, 1 wrong CR, 3 wrong SC), which resulted in ONLY 32 (may be this low score is because I made two mistakes in the first 10 questions? Or, it is because the requirements are stricter for verbal part than for math part? Please, express your thoughts on this issue)

Can anybody tell how many wrong questions he/she got wrong on GMATprep and got 39+ in verbal part?
AND
How many wrong questions he/she got wrong on GMATprep and got 50+ in Q part?

I have my GMAT appointment on September, 4th. Can anyone suggest how to improve my verbal results further???
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 08:23
I don't think you can justify the score by looking at the number of questions you get right or wrong. You have to look at the difficulty level of the questions.
I took the GMATprep test three days ago and scored 710 (50Q 35V)
I missed 6 question in Quant (note: all 6 questions I missed are DS questions)
I missed 15 questions in verbal (note here I missed more verbal questions than you. But my scaled score for verbal is 3 points higher than yours. I missed 1 ( I think it was question number 3) in the first 10 questions.).
So I really don't know what to compare here. One thing I notice thought is that besides the first 10 questions, if you get the very last two questions right, your score will be a little higher (maybe 10 points) than if you get the very last two questions wrong.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 11:04
second eileen. you really CAN'T correlate the scores with how many you got wrong. You can roughly guess, but that's about it. The difficulty of the questions you got wrong really determines your score. I got 8 wrong and got V44 once, and 10 wrong and got V38. Go figure!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 23:25
Thanks for replies, any other opinions???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2007, 03:08
Vlad77 wrote:
Thanks for replies, any other opinions???

what kryzak said...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Share your experience on GMATPrep tests [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2007, 05:22
Vlad77 wrote:
Today, I took my first GMATPrep test and scored misirable 640 :twisted: (Q46;V32), while I expected to reach 700+

I got:
- 17 quantative questions wrong, which resulted in 46 (I expected that Q section would be easy, but it was quite similar to GMAT challenges :x )
- 11 verbal questions wrong (7 wrong RC, 1 wrong CR, 3 wrong SC), which resulted in ONLY 32 (may be this low score is because I made two mistakes in the first 10 questions? Or, it is because the requirements are stricter for verbal part than for math part? Please, express your thoughts on this issue)

Can anybody tell how many wrong questions he/she got wrong on GMATprep and got 39+ in verbal part?
AND

I have my GMAT appointment on September, 4th. Can anyone suggest how to improve my verbal results further???

vlad,

another interesting thing to note is that supposedly (i say supposedly because the algorithim is a trade secret) the algorithim also takes into consideration the TYPES of questions you got wrong. So if all your mistakes had to do with SC, you are less 'well rounded' and receive a lower score... if all your mistakes on Q had to deal with circles then its worse then getting a variety of mistakes on different topics.

moral of the story:

don't worry about it. your first GMATPrep score is not miserable. it is a great place to start (i started at 640) and i think you can improve and break 700 by september 4th if you put in the hours and effort!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Share your experience on GMATPrep tests [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2007, 07:59
anonymousegmat wrote:
Vlad77 wrote:

I got:

AND

vlad,

another interesting thing to note is that supposedly (i say supposedly because the algorithim is a trade secret) the algorithim also takes into consideration the TYPES of questions you got wrong. So if all your mistakes had to do with SC, you are less 'well rounded' and receive a lower score... if all your mistakes on Q had to deal with circles then its worse then getting a variety of mistakes on different topics.

moral of the story:

don't worry about it. your first GMATPrep score is not miserable. it is a great place to start (i started at 640) and i think you can improve and break 700 by september 4th if you put in the hours and effort!

Thanks, trying to do my best :-D !!!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2007, 08:03
I agree with anony. 640 is not a bad score to start with. A bit of amrt prep will take you to your desired score. Good luck.
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2007, 21:47
wow...you can go 20/37 in quant and pull a 46? I had no idea!

it looks like verbal is a bit tougher though. I always thought it was the other way around.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2007, 22:02
trahul4 wrote:
I agree with anony. 640 is not a bad score to start with. A bit of amrt prep will take you to your desired score. Good luck.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 17:24
The only thing I have to add is that I would focus more on verbal in the time you have left. While you could probably bring your quant score up (sounds like that's your area of strength), I think you'll get more ROI in terms of your total score by bringing up the verbal.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 23:06

Last edited by Vlad77 on 18 Aug 2007, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 23:06
Robin in NC wrote:
The only thing I have to add is that I would focus more on verbal in the time you have left. While you could probably bring your quant score up (sounds like that's your area of strength), I think you'll get more ROI in terms of your total score by bringing up the verbal.

Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 00:41
From what I understand the algorithm is highly complex. However, it is quite good at what it does, and grade your abilities in comparison to others :-)

Anyways, it works like so: It starts the first question off at a medium difficulty, and scales the difficulty up and down depending on whether you get it right or wrong. After about 10 it's maxed out.

Anyways I got 760 today(GMPrep1 or 2, forget which one), 50Q, 44V, and 8 & 8 wrong on each, so the # of questions you get wrong has nothing to do with it. The scoring is pretty accurate. I was at 740/750 a few days ago, and I've put in a lot of studying and boosted my Q from 46-48 to 50 or so; my mental stamina was off today.

Another thing I'm sure it considers is if you get the last ones wrong at the end, it's probably because of time, and that is not penalized as much as if you were to get them uniformly wrong throughout the test.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 01:00
looks like you're ready to take the test! (or did you mean you got a 760 on the real test? I couldn't tell) :)
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 01:22
kryzak wrote:
looks like you're ready to take the test! (or did you mean you got a 760 on the real test? I couldn't tell) :)

hah, I've set a lofty goal, I'm nowhere near 820 yet :-( But until then I'll be here for a while :-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 01:39
Ahh, 820... you have a lot more work ahead of you! :P Good luck!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 10:37
how is the percentile calculated? performance over a year?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 10:59
bmwhype2 wrote:

With current computer technologies it can be done daily or even after each taken test :shock:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 17:26
Vlad77 wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

With current computer technologies it can be done daily or even after each taken test :shock:

agreed. i'd go so far as to say today's test takers might even affect tomorrows test.i.e. someone in an office runs some query and sees that all 700 level test takers got Question ID#XXXXXX wrong , and now it is worth more points.
  [#permalink] 21 Aug 2007, 17:26