Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [2]
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GPA: 3.93
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: The Earth organization, India
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Operations
 Q47  V34 GMAT 2: 680  Q48  V35 GMAT 3: 710  Q48  V38
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: SAP consultant-IT 2 years
WE 2: Entrepreneur-family business 2 years
Send PM
Re: Share your thoughts on my GMAT journey [#permalink]
Kudos
hey i got scores very similar to wat u have here, u should easily get the 650, i got a 47-34 5.5--> 650.

but dont expect a huge jump in the test day, be calm u should get a 40 verbal in gmat if u are managing it in the MGMAT. focus on the quant in the last 2 weeks., u might reach a 670 if u go in an awesome state of mind,
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
What an improvement! :-D

From 490 to 630! A 140 point improvement is definitely a reason to feel very good about yourself!

For a score of 650, you need 44 in Quant and 37 in verbal... Now if you can propel the Quant score to 46, a verbal score of 35 will get you a 650 :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
RHB wrote:
For me, critical reasoning questions are about eliminating choices rather than spotting the correct one right away.

I definitely agree with this. Process of Elimination helps in all three sections of verbal to a great degree. I am trying to use this stratgey more consciously now. Have you been actively marking off incorrect answers and eliminating them? Definitely try this because it was not only save you time but also eliminate unnecessary details.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Fuqua
GMAT 2: 650
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Send PM
Kudos
gmatdone wrote:
I have read your post. i am facing a lot of problem in RC. my accuracy level is only 40%. can you suggest me any good strategy. which books i should follow . normally i dont take any notes while solving RC. I have heard a lot about RC 99. can you suggest me is it worth doing it? can it help me improve my accuracy. my gmat is in 5 weeks.

thanks.

heygirl wrote:
I have been studying for a few weeks now and my GMAT test date is fast approaching :| - 2.5 weeks to go.

I had taken the real GMAT in Sept 2010 and tottaly bombed it(490 39Q,20V). I have managed to improve my VErbal score to 32-33 in my practice tests. My CR accuracy is still very very low. I get only 30% of the OG 12 Questions right.I have bought 2 books for CR - MGMAT CR and Powerscore CR bible. Both are great book, but, the books don't seem to translate into any strategy for me :oops:. I'm a non-native English Speaker and still managed to improve my RC and SC. Not being able to improve CR is really demoralizing to me.

My GMAT practice scores CAT are as follows:

MGMAT CAT 1 - 530 40Q, 22V <----1st week of Jan 2011
MGMAT CAT 2 - 540 33Q, 34V <----2nd week of Jan 2011
MGMAT CAT 3 - 590 42Q, 30V <----last week of Jan 2011
GMAT prep 1 - 630 43Q, 34V <----1st week of Feb 2011
MGMAT CAT 4 - 590 42Q, 33V <----mid - Feb 2011
MGMAT CAT 5 - 630 43Q,34V <-----taken last week
I took all CAT under official (timed) conditions except for not attempting the AWA. I even went to my local public library to take 3 of these tests in that environment.

Any thoughts on what I could expect in the real exam ?Unfortunately, I'm having amnesia with my past real GMAT experience :x . CAnnot remember my practice scores also that led to the 490.

I need a 650 for a sure admit in my target school. However, I'm pushing myself for a 680-700.

Please share your GMAT or GMAT prep experience for my situation so that I can make the best of the few days that I have.

aristotle prep SC, very handy, use it, learn it, great resource, and inexpensive
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Hey girl: would you say Aristotle are good practice books for RC and CR; I am suddenly finding a scarcity of material for these 2 topics, OGs and MGMATs are my pillar points, but I find though the material is good it lacks in quantity!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos
Just want to share my 2 cents here.

In the last two weeks of preparation, it is essential to take full-length practice tests to familiarize yourself with the real GMAT. But more importantly, you should analyse and learn from your problems. I read somewhere that you MUST know why a correct answer is correct and why a wrong answer is wrong. Well, I know it takes time, but it's worth it.

I think that SC questions in real GMAT are tougher than those in GMATPrep, but the concepts tested are the same :D.

If you want to do OG problems, I suggest designing mini sets to practice in timed mode. For example, for a quant set, you pick up 22 PS problems + 15 DS problems from OG; for verbal set, you choose 4 RC passages + 10 CR problems + 15 SC problems.

I personally think that you should devote the last 2 weeks to practicing full-length CAT tests, analyzing and learning from your mistakes, rather than do OG problems.

BTW, have you rescheduled your test date? If you feel confident and well-prepared, don't do that :P

Best of luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Kudos
windofchange wrote:

- Quant: Most people will agree that OG quant questions are easier than those in real test. However, the concepts/knowledge tested, in my opinion, are the same.
- RC: OG problems are relatively as tough as real GMAT problems.
- SC: SC problems in real test are trickier.
- CR: I think the level of difficulty is similar.

Keep on fighting till the end!!!!
Good luck! :D

windofchange, thanks for ur support here! I'm really happy to receive some kind of support.

I'm happy to know that CR and RC are of comparable levels in the real test with the OG. Quant does seem a little easy based on OG questions but I'm not too concerned of Quant(not aiming for a 50+). My target is to bring up the verbal score. I'm expecting 44 on the quant in the real test because all my tests upto now have indicated the same(including mgmat and gmat prep tests). I get stuck on word problems so will review that next week. I plan to set one day for GMAT quant word problems!
I'm concentrating on Verbal because I tend to forget strategy/rules if I dont keep in touch 8-) .

I agree with you on the quality over quantity thing. I did the same in my last GMAT attempt-Did not go anywhere,and scored miserably! This time I made it a point to turn all the questions that I get wrong into flashcards/concepts. This is really helping me.

About my CR strategy - I really don't know what exactly it is . But, what I did was : re-read through Powerscore CR and my flashcards(based on powerscore CR). Then, I started to see a pattern in CR questions. I did some 4-5 OG questions for practice. Ofcourse, it is very imp to master CR by question type. EG. LEarn the strategy for weaken question and do 4-5 medium level CR questions. This drills the strategy into us. This is what I did too. It took me almost 4-5 days for this. Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
heygirl,

I totally agree with you that we cannot get a solid score without mastering Verbal section. Thanks for your inputs :D.

If you run out of official CR problems, you can find more in GMATPrep CR.pdf compiled by Whiplash. However, be aware that your GMATPrep score may be inflated because of overlapping questions. I read somewhere that LSAT CR questions are quite good, you may want to try the free CR question bank of Aristotle https://www.aristotleprep.com/free-resou ... stion-bank.

Try your best! I am crossing my fingers for you ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
going by my experience, ur quant score will be higher than MGMAT. Gmat quant, although tricky, is not as difficult as MGMAT. Keep your fingers crossed for the verbal. :-). ATB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Hey girl, you are almost there, don't let these scores affect you! Great you are trying to calm yourself; at this point that's the best strategy, try to keep the daily routine of practicing few problems in next 2 days, but don't take any more CATS, 1 at the max, just de-stress, my sincere best wishes & good luck for the test.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Impressive Quant Score :beer:

Did you run out of stamina after the quant session or were you able to complete quant and verbal in good form?

Sometimes, test takers tend to perform well in the quant session but burn out early and perform less efficiently in the verbal section. This could probably explain the discrepancy in the scores.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
heygirl wrote:
Yes, I need to do a 5 CR and 5 SC daily. Will also glance through some OG problems for SC. I might take one more CAT on Friday too.I feel that after taking many MGMAT CATS , I kind of got used to the scoring used there. This helped me stabilize my scores to 630-640 in MGMAT CATS. So, will see if this strategy will help for GMAT prep too! We definitely need to get used to the screens and scoring of the GMAT prep. I noticed that GMAT prep, and probably the real GMAT too, does not allow us to take a guess on our scores :-D . For example, in my today's practice test, I did not see any combinatorics or complicated word problems(which I am bad at!!!).I saaw just one probabilty question and that was very simple,may have been a 600 level question. I literally cruised through the Quant section and guessed through only 2-3 questions. I thought I would land a 40 or 42 but was pleasantly surprised with a 46 :-). I had the opposite feeling for the VErbal section though :? and scored a 25.

Heygirl,
One CAT on Friday is a good idea. Do not burn yourself out :P. A set of 5CR + 5SC + 1 or 2RC is more than enough. One more thing, you may want to revise the flashcards you have made if you have enough time. Do not let the practice test score get you down, you can do better than that on the real GMAT.

Do not eat rich food and do get enough sleep the night before the test. I remember reading a post on this forum, which said that on the test day, we can activate our brain by doing some easy quant problems (but do not look at the answer key!).

Well, I am waiting for your 600+ debrief ^^.

Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
heygirl wrote:
I'm almost there. My G-Day is tommorow! :|
I reviewed the Powerscore CR bible yesterday. This really helped me retain the CR concepts . Also went through the Verbal flashcards posted by whiplash in the Verbal forum. Did not do any Quant practice/review. Also, too a GMAT prep test this morning and got a :arrow: 560 Q35, V 32 :x Lol, looks like my score is going lower and lower! I don't know what to expect tommorow but will still go in with a positive mind, This is my lowest quant score ever and the test exposed my weak areas :-( : I'm bad at those problems that combine avg,mean etc and some co-ordinate geometry and I got a lot of these on this test!

So target for today: review all my flascards and sleep early today! Tommorow will wake up and do 2-3 problem from Quant and 2-3 Cr/SC questions before I head to the centre. My test is at 12 noon.

Hey girl,
First of all, congrats on the verbal score :cool
I don't think the test is intelligent enough to reveal your weaknesses :wink: , so do not assume that these question types show up because the test "knows" that they are your weak areas :D.
So come to the test center and think that you are prepared to deal with ANY problems the test can throw at you :m16 . If you don't know how to answer a question, then use the POE, make an educated guess, and move on.
You should feel confident because you have done anything you can to prepare for the test. If I were you, I would do the following:
1. Do not think about the practice test and make (unnecessary) assumption
2. Relax and eat a healthy meal
3. Pray for the best

Keep on Fighting till the end!
:gl
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Kudos
windofchange wrote:
heygirl wrote:
Yes there is time for 2012admissions.however, on second thoughts I want to rethink my decision to retake The GMAT

You must be very tired after the exam, so have a break. Let us know if you decide to retake.
Have a nice weekend!

yes, im mentally tired more than anything else. not sure if i would want to retake though
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Kudos
After what seems like days, I realised that it is just over a 36 hours that I got out of the GMAT test center. I was in a terrible state of mind and am thinking of gaining my confidence and strength. Finally, decided to post here. Life has to move on. Never seen such a low score on any practice test, neither the diagnostic test, so definitely shocked, disappointed, disheartened, sad and depressed. As I mentioned, I scored a 480, 10 points lower than my last attempt that I took almost cold(3 weeks study), and I'm sure no one would be interested in a loser's debrief, so I'm going to do without it here on this forum.

I freaked out and panicked in the Quant section,ran out of time and the result was a Q 33. I was already exhausted with the AWA. I only wish I had practiced a few more essays so that I would not have to think that much. Another big mistake - I took a practice test 24 hours before my real test. That drained me out. Verbal was going ok , I thought I would be able to manage a 25 and I got a 23,pretty close. Somehow, I was able to guess the question levels in the test. I feel our intuition gets trained after taking a few GMAT prep tests - fantastic tests I believe.

Originally posted by heygirl on 27 Mar 2011, 20:38.
Last edited by heygirl on 28 Mar 2011, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I understand that you feel dejected but you are now better equipped for another attempt because you know exactly what went wrong: 1) you panicked, 2) timing and 3) not practicing AWAs enough. In a lot of debriefs I have read, people are absolutely shocked with their scores and have no idea where they went wrong. I am sure if you address the specific issues you listed, you will definitely do better should you decide to retake.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Kudos
ibbys , Entwistle , thanks ! I felt good reading your posts in the morning. atleast something positive in my life.

ibbys, i dont know if I want to go ahead with a retake now. No point in giving another GMAT test. I will have 3 GMAT tests to my credit then, in one calendar year.

Entwistle, May be 480 does reflect my potential and I'm just not a candidate for b-school. Perhaps, I cannot perform under pressure who knows? If I take another GMAT prep test this week I might score around 600 and that might make me feel even worse because it will confirm that I cannot perform under stress.

anyway, thanks guys for being there. I know I've disappointed a lot of people, more than I have disappointed myself.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts