Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sharing my GMAT experiene! What to do with a 650 score???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Sharing my GMAT experiene! What to do with a 650 score??? [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 06:37
This post received
KUDOS
Hello Guys,

I am surfing frequently on this intresting forum recently, but with a little participation to the discussions.
I want to share with you my short GMAT experience, and ask for your precious advices.

Actually, after some interrupted months of preparation to the GMAT, I decided to pass the test. I've done that yesterday. My decision to take the test was basically based more on my agenda than on my readiness to pass the test, as the coming 3-4 weeks I'am awsomely overloaded (business trips, client visits...).

My interrupted prepation was as follows taking into account that I'm not-native english speaker and arabic&french educated:

-One year ago I've began with GMAT from zero, I worked for 2-3 months with the OG12 and the big book of KAPLAN. I've solved the online tests of KAPLAN and got high scores: 720-740 the tests were pretty easy and uncomparable to the GMAT prep tests. After that I changed my work and relocated for another country which obliges me cut my preparation.

- 4-5 months after, I studied during 2 months the Manahtan books (SC, CR, Number prop, Word trans) and Powerscore CR bible without taking any online test. Similarly, obliged by work to cut my preparation for 2-3 months.

-Finally, these past two months I was pretty focused on the preparation (2-3hr/day). I have gone through all the books again and solved the two Verbal and QUant official guides, and passed 4 MGMAT tests scoring in this order 650-660-670-680 and passed the two GMAT preps scoring 660 and 670 with 50Quant on both but was on both unfortunately obliged to interrupt the verbal session to answer a phone call for around 8-10mn and to resume after...

I've took the decision then to pass the test knowing that my performance can be more improved, but obliged by my agenda no other choice.

The day D, my test was on 13h00; I passed some long hours waiting 13h00 to arrive. I arrived to test center, it was like 2 poor rooms non isolated acoustically, windows opened, 4 persons in each room that don't begin their tests at the same time (which means while you are doing your exam someone come with the supervisor to begin his exam... not really fun)...
In the Math I've lost some 5mn on each of two questions and the worst id that I discovered direcly after confirming my answer that I answered wrongly, something that harm a bit the morale. To end with a Q47.
In the verbal session, as usual I take my time at the beginning and rush at the end, I answered my last three questions in 15sec to not have the test ending wth questions not answered. Having a V33.

A poor 650 Overal

Now, the problem is that I was aiming the european top MBAs within the top 10 (Insead, oxford, IMD, IE), but with such a score I think that I am severely harmed.
-For INSEAD I think it is out of question to be accepted with such a score
-For IMD and Oxford SAID, I don't know if it could be feasible or not, your feedback is the most welcomed.
-For IE it should be feasible I think, I am hearing that they're not so influenced by GMAT scores... But anyhow, I'm not so convinced by the IE, I feel that their ranking is a bit exaggerated, It's my own feeling, I don't know if I'm right or not... Maybe you have more info than me about this MBA prog thank for advising.

My profile is like this:
Engineering diploma from the Middle East, Master & Phd in Engineering from a high ranked school in France, 3 years of experience in a multinational in France, 1.5 years of project management experience in Africa (>10M$ projets). +650 GMAT.

I have two choices now:
- I apply taking into account that it is risky
- I retake the test although it is gonna be a hard task for me to prepare again, I am feeling suffocated by the GMAT preparation

Grateful to have your advices and feedbacks me Guys

Hope I was not too long and hope my experience coud be useful
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 77035

CAT Tests
Re: Sharing my GMAT experiene! What to do with a 650 score??? [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2010, 02:39
This post received
KUDOS
What to do with this kind of score ? That's what I'm wondering since I made a mess of the quand part and hence got a poor 640 Q38 V40 (while I have been scoring about 700 at home, and mostly about 47 in quant... :beat ).

The question here is: which one is the riskiest ? Apply with 650 or taking the test again without working on it while you have been scoring between 650 and 680 in the preparation tests ?

If you really can not work on it before the admission deadlines, I think you should keep this score. It still gives you a chance. Focus on your essays. The admission is not only about the GMAT score.

All the best!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Sharing my GMAT experiene! What to do with a 650 score??? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 22:41
Happy new year to all of you first

Thanks Geronimo for this reply! I am fearing that it be a quite risk to apply with 650!!

From your side are you going to retake? If you are touching the V40 I think It'd be better to retake
Intern
Intern

Re: Sharing my GMAT experiene! What to do with a 650 score??? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 22:46
Senior FORUMERS!

I hope to have your opinions!!
BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 76

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sharing my GMAT experiene! What to do with a 650 score??? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 03:55
Hi Miz,

Do you want to apply for the fall 2011 intake?

If you can wait for another year, you may take your time, take TOEFL first if you need it, and then retake the GMAT with improved English skills. That way you will improve your profile and have better chances. 650 is not completely bad, but if you scored closer to the average, it will only help you. If you could score 50 in quant, I think that with some effort in the verbal section you could bring your score to +700.

If you will retake, pay more attention to timing strategies. Read this thread:
timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: Sharing my GMAT experiene! What to do with a 650 score??? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 00:09
Hi,

I truly believe that 650 is par score to apply to a top b-school. Your work experience is fantastic, i say that because of the global exposure you have. If you can explain well to the admission committee as to why MBA in (your preferred subject), than I believe you stand a very good chance of getting in. Any GMAT score is good to me as long as you can get into a top b school, as GMAT score is not the only parameter schools look for. If I were you I would apply with 650 score, with strong focus on essays. Also because, you don't have enough time to prepare again and as you mentioned your interest levels are also down already inorder to prepare for GMAT again.

Wish you success !

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 77035

CAT Tests
Re: Sharing my GMAT experiene! What to do with a 650 score??? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 05:08
Miz wrote:
Happy new year to all of you first

Thanks Geronimo for this reply! I am fearing that it be a quite risk to apply with 650!!

From your side are you going to retake? If you are touching the V40 I think It'd be better to retake

Well, I only touched it that day. That's why I give myself one month more to work on it. It will be a tough month since I also have my essays... :crazy:

V33 gives you room for improvement, but you need time (and motivation) to make a real difference (getting at least 700).

It's not risky to apply with 650. Taking into account your profile, you won't be knocked out just because of it. It can make the difference, but at the end if they have to choose between files they estimate on the same level. So really focus on your essays and the way you want to tell them your story.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Sharing my GMAT experiene! What to do with a 650 score??? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 08:56
i think you should retake it. i got my first GMAT at 650 and a month later i got 750. I think the score depends a lot on 1) your mood on test day 2) the questions you get on the test day, though my first 650 score was absurd giving that i had consistently scored over 700 in MGMAT and Prep exams. I didn't spend time studying for my second exam as I was writing my essays but I was more relaxed and I think that helped a lot with the score.

I don't know about EU but US people only look at your highest score, so you don't have to report if you get lower score, which you probably wont. so there is really nothing to lose.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Sharing my GMAT experiene! What to do with a 650 score??? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 10:37
hey happy new year!!
i guess 650 is not too bad, but if you need a higher score you should try it again without investing to much time...650 is a good base to gain the score!!!
good luck
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 49

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: Sharing my GMAT experiene! What to do with a 650 score??? [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 05:49
yufenshi wrote:
i think you should retake it. i got my first GMAT at 650 and a month later i got 750. I think the score depends a lot on 1) your mood on test day 2) the questions you get on the test day, though my first 650 score was absurd giving that i had consistently scored over 700 in MGMAT and Prep exams. I didn't spend time studying for my second exam as I was writing my essays but I was more relaxed and I think that helped a lot with the score.

I don't know about EU but US people only look at your highest score, so you don't have to report if you get lower score, which you probably wont. so there is really nothing to lose.

Wow! That is an awesome improvement!

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 77035

CAT Tests
Re: Sharing my GMAT experiene! What to do with a 650 score??? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2011, 02:16
yufenshi wrote:

The difference is that he never got over 700 in the prep test (680 was his highest score...).
Although you don't have to report your lowest score, they can see it since they have access to all the scores you got in the last 2 years (I even heard about 5 years). So you may have something to lose.

Great score by the way !
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 11

Re: Sharing my GMAT experiene! What to do with a 650 score??? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 04:28
Well, I had 650 in my first GMAT attempt as well.

When I participated in online forum of Cambridge, although they told all that polite BS about holistic approach, they suggested I retake it. In the online forum of Oxford, I felt discouraged to even apply. So, although there can be some exceptions, I'd strongly suggest retaking.
Besides, your 650 is rather unbalanced with a very weak verbal part, which is one of the main criteria for Universities to decide whether your English is good enough to get you employed.

Hope it helps!
Re: Sharing my GMAT experiene! What to do with a 650 score???   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2011, 04:28