Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shattered after today's GMAT :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 510 Q36 V25
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 105

Shattered after today's GMAT :( [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 02:44
Experts,
I really really need your help, i took my GMAT today and ended up with an embarrassing 510 (Q36, V25) . The IR section totally threw me off balance today and i found the quant section pretty tough ( barely got any number property sums - probably 1 , got around 75% DS questions , around 6-7 overlap DS questions)
Next came Verbal , would you believe it.. i got 5 RC's today- 4 short passages 1 Long , Questions 1-7 were RC , I got 5-6 identify the flaw in reasoning Qs, 2 fill in the logical conclusion. In fact, i thought i did really well in the verbal section and was disappointed after seeing my score. I really dont understand what my problem is. Find below my scores in my practice tests

MGMAT CAT-1 - 530 (Q37, V27)
MGMAT CAT-2 - 560 (Q37, V30)
MGMAT CAT-3 - 570 (Q37, V31)
MGMAT CAT-4 - 570 (Q40, V29)
MGMAT CAT-5 - 680 (Q44, V37)
MGMAT CAT-6 - 650 (Q44, V36)
GMAT PREP 2 - 530 (Q41, V25)

I ve pushed and pushed so hard , i just know there's some thing missing in my preparation. I just dont understand what it is. I really need your help. What am i supposed to do henceforth ? :cry:
I m not giving up, i know i can beat the Gmat. I m trying my best to understand whats going wrong with my technique.

Regards
Ajay
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 85

Re: Shattered after today's GMAT :( [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 03:36
thinktank wrote:
Experts,
I really really need your help, i took my GMAT today and ended up with an embarrassing 510 (Q36, V25) . The IR section totally threw me off balance today and i found the quant section pretty tough ( barely got any number property sums - probably 1 , got around 75% DS questions , around 6-7 overlap DS questions)
Next came Verbal , would you believe it.. i got 5 RC's today- 4 short passages 1 Long , Questions 1-7 were RC , I got 5-6 identify the flaw in reasoning Qs, 2 fill in the logical conclusion. In fact, i thought i did really well in the verbal section and was disappointed after seeing my score. I really dont understand what my problem is. Find below my scores in my practice tests

I ve pushed and pushed so hard , i just know there's some thing missing in my preparation. I just dont understand what it is. I really need your help. What am i supposed to do henceforth ? :cry:
I m not giving up, i know i can beat the Gmat. I m trying my best to understand whats going wrong with my technique.

Regards
Ajay

Hi thinktank,

First of all, i'm really sure that you will beat the Gmat since your perseverance and your motivation are strong enough to keep you confident.

Second, i can see from your practice that your quant level is between [37, 44] and your verbal level is between [25,37] but in the real thing you've got q36 v25, which means that you scored the min value on both probably due to nerves and stress of the exam and that is totally normal.

If i were you, i would take a break, just relax for a while and forget about the gmat for "lets say" a week or 2 depending on your application constraints. After that, i think that you must really know your level; what i mean is what are your weak areas in both quant and verbal ; i guess since you had 6 DS overlapping set question on the real thing and had 36 as a result then probably you must review the concept of OS and find your own methodology to tackle them efficiently in less than 2,5 minutes. That being said, i believe that GMAC tends to overcomplicate problems so that you have the impression that they are tough escpecially when you are under pression of the Gday but the problems are really not as tough as they might seem to be.

Finally, i would suggest you go for a second attempt only after you really feel you are ready to go (i.e once the result of your practice test will reflect the score you are aiming for).

Good Luck

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 66

Re: Shattered after today's GMAT :( [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 07:07
Expert's post
thinktank wrote:
Experts,

Regards
Ajay

Hey Ajay, first of all, I like the perseverance! Yes you can beat the GMAT. As indicated above, you probably got a little frazzled by nerves because you scored near the bottom of your range for both subjects. So you already know you can do better. Taking a little time off then coming back strong is a great way to get your motivation up again.

You also seemed to mention that you didn't get many questions on the subjects that you're strong in on your GMAT test. Unfortunately that's part of the game. You may have gotten a little unlucky, but try and turn those other topics into strengths for you. I took a practice GMAT the other day and had over 60% of quant as DS questions, so I think it's worth looking over the common traps and strategies for these questions because Data Sufficiency seems to be trending upwards with time. Turn those perceived weaknesses into strengths and you'lll be ready for anything on your next go around.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: Shattered after today's GMAT :( [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 08:56
Hi Ron/Rock750,
Thank you for your analysis. With regard to the Quant section , this is exactly what happened.. i was doing well in the first 10-15 questions.. spent a lota time in it and i had to rush in for the last 10-12 with about 18 mins to go. I got quite a few sums with regard to Averages ( Median, Range etc) . I was really panicking towards the end when it all started screwing up all of a sudden, my 32nd Question was to find the slope of the line. I knew i was done there :cry: this was followed by very simple sums. I did not have any test anxiety as such. I was very calm.

With regard to the break, Nope.. i am not taking a break.. i am an oiled engine right now and i don't want to lose the focus i have at the moment, i need to find a way as to how to go about this now. Let's say i take a topic right now.. i go through it.. i realize- i know this stuff! I am able to solve the sums that come along with the topic. It really screws up with the GMAT prep though, the questions are a bit twisted and im bowled. This has been my problem in all topics, what should i do to get over this ?

Coming to Verbal, i ve been breaking my head from practice test 1 as to why i m not hitting the 40 mark. I know i am capable of it, i just don't understand what am i missing out here. The SC's presented today were very straight forward, nothing complex and i was extremely confident after completing my Verbal section to be surprised at the worthless 25. I m really confused right now.. where did i go wrong ?! Trust me, i ve exhausted all the material available for CR, i know the answers by heart :? I got two CR's from the GMAT prep pack.. the exact same argument but with different options though.
What do i do now?

I do not have any time constraints about applications. I know i can take this down.. i need to fix the holes in my preparation.
Also Kindly suggest me, how much time is required for complete preparation before i sit for my second attempt. How do i go about scheduling my study
I m sorry for this long post. If there are any Specific Questions you have, plz do ask me.. this can really help me benefit from your experience.

Thanks
Ajay
Manager
Manager

Re: Shattered after today's GMAT :( [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 08:58
Hi rakeshd347,
Thank you for your reply, very impressive post. This will help a lot

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 40

Re: Shattered after today's GMAT :( [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 10:59
One thing I noticed is that I like to click outside of the screen before submitting an answer to get that little square box to not surround the answer anymore (but still leave the answer selected). It's a weird habbit i have leftover from an old job. Anyway, with reading comp the area that I normally click on to "clear" the selected will actually choose a new answer for me.

I did well on the verbal (i don't miss any verbal questiosn other than sentence correction) because I studied very hard for the LSAT two years ago. The LSAT books go much deeper into it, and so if you feel like you're missing out on critical reasoning or reading comprehension try picking up an LSAT study guide.
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 67

Re: Shattered after today's GMAT :( [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 11:29
I would say it was a bad day...bt ur scores were always to ur practice test scores.....5 RC is really a big blow fr any non native.....frget it...wats ur tgt score...if tis close to 600 or 650 take a months break and give it a shot

Archit
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Shattered after today's GMAT :( [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 03:32
Hi Archit,

I am starting to prepare for the gmat but i am not able to figure out which material i should go for,either OG or Kaplan as i have to build in-depth concepts.
Please suggest me on the same and on the study plan i should follow.

Keep Winning
Vivek|
Re: Shattered after today's GMAT :(   [#permalink] 28 May 2013, 03:32