Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shipping Clerk: The five specially ordered shipments sent

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 377 [4] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Shipping Clerk: The five specially ordered shipments sent [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 01:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

60% (03:18) correct 40% (01:40) wrong based on 97 sessions
Shipping Clerk: The five specially ordered shipments sent out last week were sent out on Thursday. Last week, all of the shipments that were sent out on Friday consisted entirely of building supplies, and the shipping department then closed for the weekend. Four shipments were sent to Truax Construction last week, only three of which consisted of building supplies.

If the shipping clerk’s statements are true, which of the following must also be true?

A. At least one of the shipments sent to Truax Construction last week was specially ordered.
B. At least one of last week’s specially ordered shipments did not consist of building supplies.
C. At least one of the shipments sent to Truax Construction was not sent out on Thursday of last week.
D. At least one of the shipments that were sent out on Friday of last week was sent to Truax Construction.
E. At least one of the shipments sent to Truax Construction last week was sent out before Friday.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA is E

Comcorp Shipping Clerk: Last week, no shipments of building supplies were sent out on friday. The five specially ordered shipments sent out last week were sent out on Thursday, and each of those specially ordered shipments consisted entirely of building supplies. Four shipments were sent to Truax Construction last week, none of which consisted of building supplies.

If the shipping clerk's statements are true, which of the following must also be true?

a. All of Comcorp's shipments of building supplies last week were specially ordered.
b. None of Comcorp's shipments sent on friday of last week was sent to Truax Construction.
c. None of the shipments sent by Comcorp by Truax Construction last week was specially ordered.
d. None of Comcorp's shipments sent on thursday of last week was sent to Truax Cons
truction.
e. All of Comcorp's shipments of building supplies last week were sent out on thursday.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA is C

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 20

Re: SOS - shipment order supplies ;-) [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 01:59
Hi nusmavrik
I believe B is not a good option to rely on. What if there were more specially ordered shipments apart from the one talked of being sent on Thursday ..
B. At least one of last week’s specially ordered shipments did not consist of building supplies.

So E makes more sense.

For the second question, I went with D. Waiting for others to ans. :(
Manager
Manager
Schools: Top Taiwanese university
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SOS - shipment order supplies ;-) [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 07:02
yeah E seems more reasonable, all shipments sent on friday were budiling supplies, and at least one of the shipments to traux construction was not for building supplies, thus at least one of those, since the company closed for the weekends, wasn't for building supplies
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SOS - shipment order supplies ;-) [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 09:17
This post received
KUDOS
I got E and C.

1) The prompt says that all but 1 shipment received by Traux was building supplies. If the only shipments on Friday were building supplies, the 1, non-building supply shipment must have been sent before Friday (so option E).
2) All special orders were building supplies & all special orders were sent on Thursday. Truax didn't get any building supplies so none of its orders were special.

Hope that helps a little.
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS, Harvard, Booth, Stanford, ISB, NTU
WE 1: S/W Engineer

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: SOS - shipment order supplies ;-) [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 09:22
Comcorp Shipping Clerk: Last week, no shipments of building supplies were sent out on friday. The five specially ordered shipments sent out last week were sent out on Thursday, and each of those specially ordered shipments consisted entirely of building supplies. Four shipments were sent to Truax Construction last week, none of which consisted of building supplies.

If the shipping clerk's statements are true, which of the following must also be true?

a. All of Comcorp's shipments of building supplies last week were specially ordered.
b. None of Comcorp's shipments sent on friday of last week was sent to Truax Construction.
c. None of the shipments sent by Comcorp by Truax Construction last week was specially ordered.
d. None of Comcorp's shipments sent on thursday of last week was sent to Truax Cons
truction.
e. All of Comcorp's shipments of building supplies last week were sent out on thursday.

IMO D. All the specially ordered shipments were building supplies and sent out on Thursday and Truax didn't receive building supplies. Hence D.

I can't get why C is correct. IMO, the argument says Truax didn't receive Building supplies. Also, it says the specially ordered 5 shipments were building supplies. Converse is not true.. All building shipments are not specially ordered. They may or may not be specially ordered. Hence one cannot definitely state that none of the shipments that Truax received last week was specially ordered.

I guess I'm confusing! :lol: :P I'm confused too! :| :roll:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SOS - shipment order supplies ;-) [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 11:05
I would go with E and C.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: SOS - shipment order supplies ;-) [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 10:46
Second one is actually easier. Anyway IMO E & C

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: SOS - shipment order supplies ;-) [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 15:13
I will go with E and D

For me, the first question was more difficult than the second one.

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

Re: SOS - shipment order supplies ;-) [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 16:47
E and D for me...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: SOS - shipment order supplies ;-) [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 18:04
E and C.

1. B is wrong because the last shipment to Truax could be from Monday, Tues or Wed, therefore it doesn't nessecarry from Thursday, the special delivery shipment.

2. D is wrong because we only know that SPECIAL SHIPMENT is shipped on Thursday but Thursday could also ship NORMAL shipment like every other days as well, SPECIAL SHIPMENT is just a bonus, therefore the package to Truax could be sent from Thursday.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SOS - shipment order supplies ;-) [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 05:43
E and D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 20

Re: Shipping Clerk: The five specially ordered shipments sent [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 07:15
Very good questions.
E & C...

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 299

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Shipping Clerk: The five specially ordered shipments sent [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2014, 08:22
A very minute difference for the second one between (D) and (C).

And as mentioned by posters, (D) takes it too far than (C).

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: Shipping Clerk: The five specially ordered shipments sent   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2014, 08:22