Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shipwrecks are more likely to be found undisturbed at great

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 321 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member
Shipwrecks are more likely to be found undisturbed at great [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 00:53
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:54) correct 30% (01:08) wrong based on 495 sessions
Shipwrecks are more likely to be found undisturbed at great depths than in shallow coastal waters, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether they be archaeologist, treasure hunter, or sport diver.

(A) than in shallow coastal waters, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether they be
(B) than in shallow coastal waters, where archaeological remains are exposed to turbulence and are accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether
(C) as opposed to shallow waters along the coast, where archaeological remains are exposed to turbulence and accessible to anyone in scuba gear, including
(D) instead of in shallow waters along the coast, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and making them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, including an
(E) instead of shallow coastal waters, because it exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and make them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 34

Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 01:03
sondenso wrote:
21. Shipwrecks are more likely to be found undisturbed at great depths than in shallow costal waters, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether they be archaeologist, treasure hunter, or sport diver.

A. than in shallow costal waters, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether they be
B. than in shallow costal waters, where archaeological remains are exposed to turbulence and are accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether
C. as opposed to shallow waters along the coast, where archaeological remains are exposed to turbulence and accessible to anyone in scuba gear, including
D. instead of in shallow waters along the coast, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and making them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, including an
E. instead of shallow coastal waters, because it exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and make them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether

The idiom is "more than" so eliminate C, D, and E.

I'll have to go with B.

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [1] , given: 210

Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 01:41
This post received
KUDOS
Straight B - more likely... than leaves us with A, B and A has an incorrect which.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 02:32
B.... As explained by bsd. A also has the redundant "they be"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 05:35
guys - is the phrase "as opposed to" always wrong in gmat?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 11:31
This post received
KUDOS
straight B .
In A they is incorrect as the construction is ending with OR
In C more cant be followed by as opposed to
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 13:51
sondenso wrote:
21. Shipwrecks are more likely to be found undisturbed at great depths than in shallow costal waters, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether they be archaeologist, treasure hunter, or sport diver.

A. than in shallow costal waters, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether they be
B. than in shallow costal waters, where archaeological remains are exposed to turbulence and are accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether
C. as opposed to shallow waters along the coast, where archaeological remains are exposed to turbulence and accessible to anyone in scuba gear, including
D. instead of in shallow waters along the coast, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and making them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, including an
E. instead of shallow coastal waters, because it exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and make them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether

B

We need "than" to complement "more likely". C, D ,E are out. I didn't pick A because "they" [in red above] has unclear reference to me.
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 25

Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 13:59
domleon wrote:
guys - is the phrase "as opposed to" always wrong in gmat?

B,

I think it's "more likely .. than" usage in this case, "as opposed to" is not always wrong.

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 17:08
GmatPrep say: OA is B :lol:

Thanks!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 100

Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 16:16
The correct usage is more likely..than which leaves A and B.
I would appreciate it if somebody specify more clearly why A is wrong.
The usage of "which" in A is right IMO
>It refer to shallow coastal waters correctly
>It has a comma in front of it.

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2009, 22:47
tejal777 wrote:

IMO "shallow waters..."exposes.. Makes" is wrong.It should have been "expose ...make"

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 18

Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 04:34
sondenso wrote:
Shipwrecks are more likely to be found undisturbed at great depths than in shallow coastal waters, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether they be archaeologist, treasure hunter, or sport diver.

(A) than in shallow coastal waters, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether they be
(B) than in shallow coastal waters, where archaeological remains are exposed to turbulence and are accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether
(C) as opposed to shallow waters along the coast, where archaeological remains are exposed to turbulence and accessible to anyone in scuba gear, including
(D) instead of in shallow waters along the coast, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and making them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, including an
(E) instead of shallow coastal waters, because it exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and make them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether

I will go with B. Firstly, the idiom being tested here is "more...than", so we can safely discount answer choicesC, D and E.
Moreover, the relative pronoun "where" is more suitable here than "which" because it defines a place.
B correctly uses the idiom "more..than.." and the correct relative pronoun "where"
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 18

Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 04:41
tejal777 wrote:

A is wrong. Forget the idiom "more..than.." and also forget the use of "which" here. Lets just pick some error which is much easier to spot. How about going for pronoun ambiguity. A uses the pronoun "they", which is ambiguous as there is no clear meaning as to what "they" actually refers to.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 07:39

(A) than in shallow coastal waters, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and makes them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether they be ( Which refers to a thing rather than a place, Shipwrecks is plural, Them who??)

(C) as opposed to shallow waters along the coast, where archaeological remains are exposed to turbulence and accessible to anyone in scuba gear, including (wrong)
(D) instead of in shallow waters along the coast, which exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and making them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, including an (Wrong)
(E) instead of shallow coastal waters, because it exposes archaeological remains to turbulence and make them accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether (wrong)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 08:09
between A & B why A should be wrong?
Because in A, "They" which is plural is used to refer to "anyone" which is singular.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 01:08
looks B is the ans and looks preferable among the rest.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 01:12
Here, idiom "more ...than" is tested.

"where" is required for place - coastal waters.

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 76

Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 07:54
I go with B for the reasons already shown:
Idiom: more likely ... than, exclude options C, D and E.
A uses which when it should be where. The right answer is B.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 65

Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 14:13
I answered B, but B threw me off a little with the usage of whether.

so I ended up scanning other answers as well to finally come back to B.

Is it just me, or does anyone-else find it awkward too? Whether A, B, or C

".....and are accessible to anyone in scuba gear, whether archaeologist, treasure hunter, or sport diver."

I would've been more comfortable if this was written, "...whether he or she is archaeologist, treasure hunter, or spot diver."

Can you just omit subject and verb after whether and list a number of nouns like this?

Can someone help me with this? I have just never seen whether used in this way.

Thanks in advance.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: SC. Shipwrecks [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 08:34
I Got it right.

Ans: B :)
Re: SC. Shipwrecks   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2010, 08:34