Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shocked to see a drop in Quant from 47 to 43

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Shocked to see a drop in Quant from 47 to 43 [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 18:23
Dear Folks,

I am out of my mind since yesterday when I took my GMAT.

I don't know how and why my quant score dropped to 43.

15 days ago, when I took the GMATPrep, I scored 47 in Quant in both the tests.. On Manhattan tests, I was always at 44.

Except for 4 questions, I don't think I had problems with any of the questions on the test. I was nervous and slightly unsettled initially when quant began but all was well after that.

I am planning for a re-take in a month.

After reading Karishma's and jumsumtak's posts on other threads, I realize that the only thing I did not do for Quant is trying to know different methods to reach an answer. I have always tried to learn new concepts that were missing from my kitty; have 100+ notes(quant +verbal) that I have made.
I have always had problems with tough questions on Quant but I was expecting atleast a 47/48.

Talked to my friend who experienced a similar thing. He was scoring a 48/49 consistently on Mocks but on the real deal, he scored a 42.

Also, Does GMAT score indicate to business schools how smart the applicant is?

Frankly, I believe GMAT can't decide the fate of somebody's career. . If you have the passion to win, you will with or without MBA..

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5027 [1] , given: 164

Re: Shocked to see a drop in Quant from 47 to 43 [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 19:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sachin9 wrote:
Dear Folks,

I am out of my mind since yesterday when I took my GMAT.

I don't know how and why my quant score dropped to 43.

15 days ago, when I took the GMATPrep, I scored 47 in Quant in both the tests.. On Manhattan tests, I was always at 44.

Except for 4 questions, I don't think I had problems with any of the questions on the test. I was nervous and slightly unsettled initially when quant began but all was well after that.

I am planning for a re-take in a month.

After reading Karishma's and jumsumtak's posts on other threads, I realize that the only thing I did not do for Quant is trying to know different methods to reach an answer. I have always tried to learn new concepts that were missing from my kitty; have 100+ notes(quant +verbal) that I have made.
I have always had problems with tough questions on Quant but I was expecting atleast a 47/48.

Talked to my friend who experienced a similar thing. He was scoring a 48/49 consistently on Mocks but on the real deal, he scored a 42.

Also, Does GMAT score indicate to business schools how smart the applicant is?

Frankly, I believe GMAT can't decide the fate of somebody's career. . If you have the passion to win, you will with or without MBA..

MBA courses are quite rigorous. B schools measure whether you will be able to take the rigor using your GMAT score. The idea is that your basics should be in place so that you don't struggle on little things since there will be plenty of big things to worry about. Probably, in the future, there will be tech to conduct detailed profiling of every individual that applies but the reality of today is that scores of these tests play a role.

Sorry to know that you did not get the score you expected. Honestly speaking, it happens to a lot of people. Many people see a dip in the actual score (as compared to their mock scores). The simulated tests are taken in a more relaxed environment and you know that the score you get will count for nothing so you are not that stressed out. The real test can be more unnerving. Since you cannot review the actual GMAT, you will never know what went wrong. Your best bet would be to review the sections you had trouble with in the actual test and practice.

As for working on multiple methods to get to the answer, I would suggest you to not worry too much about it. Use the methods that work for you since there is a time crunch (if you taking the test again in a month). If you do not fall short of time in the section, it's ok to use the methods that already work for you.
I suggest people to look for alternative solutions because of three reasons:
1. the logical solutions save time
2. they help you understand the concept well
3. different methods are useful for different questions
4. you can use the extra time towards the really tricky questions
Since time is less, go through alternative solutions that you see but you should use whatever works best for you.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shocked to see a drop in Quant from 47 to 43 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 03:26
thanks karishma for your kind reply .

What do I do now?
I don't know how to improve my score.

Should I buy the GMAT Prep Question Pack 1 and work through them?

Or should I buy the GMAT Club tests ?

I just want to improve as much as possible. .

Do you think I can improve in RC from whatever competency level I have achieved so far by reading the economist and trying to mirror the process for tackling RC questions?

SCs were way too strange in the actual exam. I am, however, good in SC. CR is an area in which I have problem. I got 34 in Verbal. I am not sure if I can improve beyond this score in a month's time as I have spent more time on verbal than quant.

I guess I can achieve a 47-49 in Quant provided I do some quality work now. Please suggest about Question pack 1 and GMAT Club tests

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Re: Shocked to see a drop in Quant from 47 to 43   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2013, 03:26