Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shocked with my Verbal Score in the real test - Need Help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 8

Shocked with my Verbal Score in the real test - Need Help [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2013, 23:59
I have been practicing for my verbals for about 3 months.I began with 20 on my verbals, gradually i went up to 30 in Gmat Prep Test, and finally I got 36 and 39 in my GMAT Exam Pack Test. I was led into believing that the Paid GMAT Prep Test gives you an approximate range of what you would achieve in you actual Gmat Test. This is where my shocker starts I got a 16 in real GMAT. I was shocked to say the least. As i started my verbal section i lacked concentration. I gave a myself a seconds break and then i was doing fine.However it was constantly running in my mind as to how i was doing. I saw a lot of question type i haven seen before. By the 14th question i got a bold face question and i felt relaxed as i thought i was doing well. Another experience was sentence correction. I always thought that the GMAT will be evenly distributed.But if i am not wrong i must have got atleast more than 20 sentence correction question and there was time i felt it was a sentence correction exam when in a row i got 4 SC questions.
Also i would like to mention i always had pacing problem in verbals and i always had to mark last 8-( questions and the same happened in the real exam too.I got a long Rc passage towards the end with 5 minutes left for my exam to end. I had to randomly mark all the question and i must have marked around 9-10 questions in a row ( but read the sc questions though) and there my verbal 16 the lowest i have ever seen and got(quant 49).

Now my question is - shall i consider a retake? if yes is it achievable to improve my verbals score to 30's in 1-1.5 months? what should be my approach as now i don't trust any of the exams so i don't even know how to gauge my performance. Also, i have completed all the materials from mgmat to egmat.
I need serious help and a productive plan to ace verbals.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.72
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 19

Re: Shocked with my Verbal Score in the real test - Need Help [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2013, 05:21
I know how it feels bro... after working so hard and then ending with a shocking score in verbal... it's not at all surprising to see too many SC questions.. I guess the reason is probably they were easy questions and since you were getting the other questions wrong, you got many of them... You do have to work on your timing and try to improve on your SC .. coz first n foremost SC can be improved in the timeframe you've mentioned and SC can save you lot of valuable time in the real exam if you are good at it... By checking out various posts, I can tell you that redo your Official guides and look at the explanations properly and in depth ... Have a thorough analysis of the correct as well as incorrect answers and don't think about getting the question right .. just try n see if you are learning new from a question or you are getting the thing that is tested in that question... I am also thinking of retaking and that's what I am doing these days ... Cramming official questions including gmatprep won't be of much help coz u will seldom see them in your real exam .. some have actually seen them though ... so you know which areas you are weak in ... improve on them .. and be in a positive frame of mind .. after all it's just an exam and with dedication you can surely nail it ....
Re: Shocked with my Verbal Score in the real test - Need Help   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2013, 05:21