Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 01:43
INSPIRING GOING BRO.....

When going gets tough, tough gets going.........

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 321

Kudos [?]: 1273 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 01:57
Quote:
Thats excellent score. I don't think you need to wait till December 29th to take the test. You could reach 770/780 with consistent preparation. On the same test, I scored 550 with verbal 27. RC seems to be killing my verbal score.

Thanks Dreamy, I sure hope I can hit that score. I won't be able to prepone my test because my college is not a testing center and with only two weeks left before finals, traveling anywhere close by for the GMAT is nearly impossible. And I didn't want to take the GMAT right after finals or at 8 am, so 29th December it'll have to be. As for RC, I totally understand. I just get bored with RC passages and what helped was active reading while taking notes physically. The act of writing keeps you wired to the passage. Try doing that next time, but make sure you don't waste more time than necessary.

Quote:
Wow, that's an awesome score, except for you I actually haven't read of anyone scoring that high on Knewton yet. Their scoring algorithm seems to be quite different from that of GMAT Prep. I'd say that with only 5 mistakes in the Quant section you'd get at least 49 (rather 50) on GMAT prep (even if you make the errors rather in the beginning of the section, make consecutive mistakes, etc.). Just my guess, I'm still waiting for someone to crack the code of the GMAT Prep software and let us know how the scoring really works :-D

Thanks, stanford2012. I was really shocked when I saw the score too. I had a feeling that I wasn't doing too well. And remarkably enough, every time I felt like that on a CAT I scored really well, so I am hoping the streak continues. I am hoping to get a 51 on the Quant. I have only touched 50 so far, but hopefully, minimizing careless errors and focusing on the harder concepts will get me there :). Did you check out BSD Lover's thread on the Un-Scientific Analysis of GMAT Prep? It's floating around somewhere, just look for it on the GMAT Prep thread :)

Quote:
Three words:

You

Are

A

Monster.

(Let's not count "A" as a word).

Thanks mistereko :D (P.S - I loved Mister Eko. And the whole of LOST. SIGH)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 221 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 03:51
This post received
KUDOS
In that case, let me rephrase:

Four words:

YOU

ARE

A

SMOKE

MONSTER.

Posted from my mobile device Image

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Manager
Manager
Status: He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 08:45
Great score Whip .....
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 14:31
Nooooooo I'm not the smoke monster. I'd rather be .... Sawyer :P

Intern
Intern
Schools: London Business School, INSEAD, IE, Warwick Business School
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 00:48
Hi Guys,

I did a mistake of registering for GMAT with Princeton Review, due to my hectic work schedule. I took their Diagnotic test got 380 initially, and upon their advise of delivering 650 + result in 45 days took exam on 30th Nov 2010. During the course they messed up my books, I was given 10,11 and finally 12 edition (5 days before acutal exam) and teachers kept changing.

I got 460 Q 34 V 38 in actual exam on 30th Nov 2010. I am depressed and dont know what to do

The Princeton review charged me like gold but didnt fulfill any of their promises. I am planning to redo the GMAT March or April,

Can some one guide me on achieving a good score with a good well defined study plan
Manager
Manager
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 09:55
whiplash2411 wrote:
Nooooooo I'm not the smoke monster. I'd rather be .... Sawyer :P

Well, most people would ;). I'd go for Locke though! My man!

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: CMU (Tepper) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q V
GPA: 3.05
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 11:30
srjaidev wrote:
whiplash2411 wrote:
Like I mentioned I am bilingual in English partially because I used Wren and Martin as a grammar textbook since when I was in 4th grade or something and we stopped using it before high school (9th grade). I think and speak in English except when I am with my parents (My dad will kill me if I don't speak in Tamil at home - retains the culture, he says).

I wouldn't advise reading it fully as the only thing. It's better to just grasp the important points in it. That book is not an introductory grammar book, it's more of a comprehensive book for everything grammar related.

Whoa! I was in the same situation till my 7th grade! I was in Dubai then and I spoke Malayalam with my mother only (also with my friends' mothers, but that's very rare). I tell my friends that I "think" in English (I honestly do!) and they ask me "how does one 'think' in a language"... what do they know about thinking, huh? :P

The biggest advantage because of this is idioms, I suppose.

BTW.. 19 years?!?!??! I was at the brink of leaving engineering to become a professional CS player at the age of 19! :-D

What CS team did you play for?

* The opinions expressed here are my personal views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my school, the Tepper School of Business.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 15:31
zEx.

vixer wrote:
srjaidev wrote:
whiplash2411 wrote:
Like I mentioned I am bilingual in English partially because I used Wren and Martin as a grammar textbook since when I was in 4th grade or something and we stopped using it before high school (9th grade). I think and speak in English except when I am with my parents (My dad will kill me if I don't speak in Tamil at home - retains the culture, he says).

I wouldn't advise reading it fully as the only thing. It's better to just grasp the important points in it. That book is not an introductory grammar book, it's more of a comprehensive book for everything grammar related.

Whoa! I was in the same situation till my 7th grade! I was in Dubai then and I spoke Malayalam with my mother only (also with my friends' mothers, but that's very rare). I tell my friends that I "think" in English (I honestly do!) and they ask me "how does one 'think' in a language"... what do they know about thinking, huh? :P

The biggest advantage because of this is idioms, I suppose.

BTW.. 19 years?!?!??! I was at the brink of leaving engineering to become a professional CS player at the age of 19! :-D

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: CMU (Tepper) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q V
GPA: 3.05
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 16:24
USCTrojan2006 wrote:
zEx.

What was your name?
I led an invite team in source. Never got that serious in 1.6..

* The opinions expressed here are my personal views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my school, the Tepper School of Business.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 18:20
USCTrojan2006 wrote:

Nothing big/famous. I was part of a team from college from 2nd year and also did some free-lancing during major tournaments down south (of India ie). Anyway this is not the topic for this discussion :P. Glad to hear there are other CS 1.6 enthusiasts here :)
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 160

Kudos [?]: 827 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 07:36
I left my CCNA because of cs 1.6 :P

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 18

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 03:07
Hey whiplash, how is the GMAT prep going? Are you done with your exams at university?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.91
WE: Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 12:49
Good luck! With those scores you're ready to take the test well before December 29. Keep up the good work, but make sure you don't burn out. I actually moved up my test a week once I started getting good scores to make sure I was peaking at the time of the test. Not suggesting it, but something to be aware of.

Amazing Knewton diagnostics score! I got 570 on this stupid test.
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 00:00
Thanks guys!

Stanford2012: Last final is tomorrow morning at 8. Then I'm flying to California for winter break. Gah, can't sleep. Hope this doesn't happen for the GMAT.

CharmWithSubstance: I've read your debrief! Thanks for the kind words. I am aiming for 750ish, won't retake if I get 730. Can't move my test up because

1. I wanted a noon or later slot. All other slots are 8am. The center is like an hour and a half away. Can't risk it :(
2. I haven't even started the OG yet :D

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 08:16
all i can say is good luck to you;-))
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 18:13
Took MGMAT CAT 3 today and scored a 730. Kinda disappointed with my Verbal score since I had a really high hit rate on CR and RC and my hit rate on SC dropped to like an 85% because on most of the questions I got wrong, I identified and corrected one error and forgot about the other. Should remind myself to take more time to work on Verbal (Finished it in 55 minutes).

Split was Q50 V40. I got 12 questions wrong in Quant, and it was really really tricky. Random questions about regular hexagons and inscribed circles and then something about a three dimensional plane with a cube and an inscribed sphere and I was literally going, "WHAAAA?"

I looked at the assessment reports and the accuracy by range is as follows:

PS - 730
DS - 730
SC - 710 (meh)
CR - 720
RC - 720

Average wrong range is as follows:

PS - 750
DS - 760 (w00t)
SC - 750
CR - 740
RC - 730

Time to crank out the OG!
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 22:38
good going whiplash.. btw i see that you finished it in 55mins. Do you really want to finish it that soon in the real thing?

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 23:36
No! I am going to have to pace myself better since I found that I could have avoided some of the mistakes I made had I just sat down and worked through it a bit better. Usually I get to the 30th question and I have like 40 minutes remaining and then I am like "Crap, I should have paced myself better" - which is why I rarely get any wrong questions in the last like 15 or so questions. Need to ensure that for the first few, since it feels like it's more important.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 12:58
hey Whip great going...Keep doing good work...I'm sure you'll raise the average GMAT score by your great score. :)
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2010, 12:58