Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 19:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 336

Kudos [?]: 1361 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 19:53
Thanks Pranav!

With just a week to go before G-Day, I'm all pumped about my preparation. So far my practice CATs are averaging from 730-770. I have the following to finish in a week:

1. MGMAT CAT 4
2. MGMAT CAT 5
3. GMAT Prep 2, v 1.0
4. GMAT Prep 2, v 2.0
5. Official Guide - Verbal Questions
6. Verbal Review Questions
7. GMAT Club Tests
8. Theory Sheet for Sentence Correction
9. GMAT Prep SC Document
10. GMAT Prep CR Document

I am almost done with the SC in OG and I plan to finish the CR in OG tonight and then take GMAT Prep 2 tomorrow and see where my score is. Depending on my strengths and weaknesses, I'll either go through the MGMAT SC briefly and work on the Verbal Review or go straight to the Verbal Review. Upon finishing that, I have 2 MGMAT CATs and one GMAT Prep left (not counting the older versions). I'm planning to take one every alternate day. This weekend I'll fully go through the GMAT Prep SC and CR document and track my scores on that. This will be crucial, I think. I'll also go through Chineseburned's guide on the AWA just to make sure that doesn't throw me off. Next Mon/Tues, I'm just going to review my weak areas, go through the rules from the theory sheet I made and Tuesday will mainly be relaxation day. Test is at noon on Wednesday.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 20:09
Why don't you keep GMAT Prep 2 as the last touch?
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 20:23
Nah, I want to go through the GMAT Prep SC document. If I keep GMAT Prep as the last touch, I won't have enough time to review the GMAT Prep document.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 22:43
very right whip! take GMAT Preps a week ago so you can review your errors and have ample amount of time to resolve them.

just a little advice: try to take each test with AWA included. This way you'll adjust your stamina to glance at computer screen for almost 4 hours on the trot. That's important.

All the best!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2221

Kudos [?]: 8223 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 16:18
Expert's post
Good luck next week on the test. Fingers crossed!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 16:22
Thanks bb! Hopefully it'll be good news :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 17:00
Good luck whip for Dec 29 :)

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 49

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 15:36
Good luck!

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 17:21
This post received
KUDOS
You will be fine! We will keep our fingers crossed for you! As we say in my country before an exam 'merde" ;-)
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 20:00
Just took a fresh version of GMAT Prep and scored a 750! Q50, V42! :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, HEC, Said

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 22:12
How many mistakes are there in Q50 and V42 and how are they spread?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 53

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 23:18
Good luck tons!
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 23:22
8 mistakes each in Q and V. Evenly spread out, except for one streak of three wrong in both sections

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 23:43
I dont know what went wrong but with 11 mistakes in quant I could only get 44. I got 5 wrong in first 11 and then got last two wrong. So what is the reason..getting first 5 wrong or getting last two wrong
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2010, 00:01
I always believed the 1st 10 and last 10 are the most important. If you make 5 mistakes in the 1st 10, then it would take sometime before GMAT rates you at 700-800 and getting the last 2 wrong could probably have brought you score down a little. GMAT rates you after each question, so in the beginning I believe GMAT will be adjusting your score a lot more since it doesn't have a clue of your level at that point in time and towards the middle it kind of knows your level so will be willing to let go of a few random mistakes.

When one is aiming for a score closer to 50-51, it means that that person is capable of answering any GMAT question thrown at him or her. In that case the only thing that matters would be time. What I did is, I made sure that I spent enough time on the 1st 10 and last 10 so that I can be clear of any silly mistakes. I scored 51 in the last 2 prep tests and in the final GMAT and I observed that I made a max. of 1 mistake (if at all) in the 1st and last 10. I think I had a total of 3 incorrect answers in those preps.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2010, 00:08
thanks for inputs srjaidev

I need some help from you. Actually I analysed my prep and could see that most mistakes were in Number properties area 6 mistakes from 11. I am not sure how to improve in number properties. I know all the fundamentals but somehow I fail to apply them. I have already gone through the MGMAT Number properties guide twice. Any advise on this topic since you see to be very sound in maths.

Thanks in advance
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2010, 01:30
prashantbacchewar wrote:
thanks for inputs srjaidev

I need some help from you. Actually I analysed my prep and could see that most mistakes were in Number properties area 6 mistakes from 11. I am not sure how to improve in number properties. I know all the fundamentals but somehow I fail to apply them. I have already gone through the MGMAT Number properties guide twice. Any advise on this topic since you see to be very sound in maths.

Thanks in advance

It is very difficult to suggest anything specific from so little information (6/11 wrong even after going through MGMAT NP Guide twice), but here is my 2 cents:

The number of concepts or formulae that you must learn for GMAT is very very less compared to, say, IIT-JEE or AIEEE (assuming that you are Indian, I suppose you know what those are). So, the 1st step is to go through OG to know exactly what formulae they expect you to know. I guess you must have already done that. Also other books could overload you with alot more unnecessary formulae which could confuse you, so its better to keep to the basics (as long as you have a decent speed when it comes to calculation and derivation).

Secondly, it is important to understand the question. I did not mean understanding what you should find (which is easy in NP compared to other concepts where there could be word problems), instead I meant understanding what you must do to reach there. Its pretty easy to check whether you understood. Here is how you do it -
Next time you do a test, write down the steps you used. Then for your wrong answers, compare your method with the method provided in the explanations. I know that there are many ways of doing so, but still by doing this exercise you will get some idea what went wrong in your thought process. Maybe you missed a clue in the question on how to move forward and got stuck, maybe you lost your way amidst all the calculations in tiny handwriting in the already cramped rough work sheet, or maybe you got a formula wrong.

You could also find that you totally misunderstood the question This is possible because the language used in GMAT questions could be different from what we are used to. Some words could be unfamiliar and you had to take a guess about the meaning and ended up completely on the wrong path. In this case you will have to read the entire OG and make sure you understand each and every word or clause they use, not all but atleast those that describe the problem, solution or a property of the numbers.

I am sorry for the very generic answer to your question but ultimately, after learning the concepts, improvement can be achieved only by reviewing your mistakes. I used a similar method for Critical Reasoning and it helped me alot. I am right in the middle of essay writing and recommendations and work and am finding it really difficult to remember my GMAT prep days :P even though that would only 2 months ago. There should be alot of help in the different forums here and you could possibly meet someone who overcame the same problem.
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2010, 01:32
Jaidev, I don't think the first 10, last 10 is really accurate. In my GMAT Prep, I got 5-6-7 wrong but still managed to get a 50. I think Prashant might have gotten the easier questions wrong. And in that sense, Q is definitely more forgiving than V. In Verbal, I got my 12th question, 18th question and then like 32-33-34 wrong, but with 8 wrong I was pulled down to a 42.

Prashant, in terms of number properties, its more about constantly keeping ALL the factors in mind. I suggest going through Bunuel's signature links and working your way through ALL of them, noting down any mistakes and so on. Apart from that, if you have the MGMAT Number Properties, then you should have gotten a question bank with it, so try working on those problems as well. I think, with number properties, I usually go with intuition and like brute-check for all the conditions and constraints. So, its really finding middle ground for what you find comfortable.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2010, 01:37
Whiplash, after the 5-6-7, which questions did you get wrong in Q?
V seems to be a totally different story and my concern then was to get a V42 so didn't care much about researching :)
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2010, 01:40
I got 5, 6, 7, 18, 19, 21, 33, and 34 wrong in Quant. 4, 8, 12, 18, 32, 33, 34, and 40 wrong in Verbal.
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2010, 01:40