Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 20:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 10:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only.

A) in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only
B) in department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not also buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well
C) those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, do not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but leave with only a basketball
D) those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well
E) department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone will not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball but will leave with only a basketball
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 12:22
We need "those" in order to maintain parallelism.

ABE are out

In D there are some things I don't consider to be right:

1. "Someone" originally there wasn'T any attempt to refer to shoppers as a whole in the first part and then to some shopper in the second.

2. "with a basketball only" the only is placed wrong

I go for C
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 13:13
this is a tough one. I know D sounds a little awkward like you stated about "with a basketball only"

but C, in my opinion, is a run-on sentence and doesnt separate the 2 thoughts that are trying to be made.

i go with D.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 13:15
as i look at it again, i'm not sure at all between C or D. can i pick none of the above? =)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 13:34
ABE are certainly out . Between C and D I will go with D
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 15:17
A) in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only ==> Incorrectly compares shoppers with department stores

B) in department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not also buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well ==> Same as A

C) those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, do not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but leave with only a basketball ==> Sounds plain awkward, doesn't flow at all

D) those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well ==> Correct - 1) Correctly compares shoppers in sporting good stores with shoppers in department stores 2) Sentence after a semicolon must stand as clauses on its own, although I don't like the "as well" at the end of the sentence

E) department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone will not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball but will leave with only a basketball ==> Same as A

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2006, 20:08
The OA is "D".

TeHCM, "as well" usage at the end of "D" is correct. It is needed.

those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well

"as well" usage indicates, buying basketball & also other things.
without "as well" it indicates either basketball or other things.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2006, 19:20
I had picked "D" though I had the same reservation about "as well" in "D" as TeHCM

But vivek123 does have a point in his explanation about the need for "as well"
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Shoppers [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2006, 20:55
Good question. Go with majority and choose D as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2006, 11:35
I picked C but i understood why it is D , thnks the 700s club members

vazlkaiye porkalam vazltuthan parkanum.... porkalam maralam porkalthan maruma

[#permalink] 01 Feb 2006, 11:35