Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 04:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 06:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only.
A. in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only
B. in department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not also buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well
C. those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, do not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but leave with only a basketball
D. those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well
E. department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone will not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball but will leave with only a basketball

Last edited by stevegt on 01 Aug 2007, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

Re: SC shoppers [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 07:33
stevegt, can you check whether there is any mistake in the question?
I chose D, but "Shoppers those in department stores" without comma after shoppers seems weird. Also what is the source of the question?
I will try to explain my choice if I am right.

stevegt wrote:
Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only.
A. in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only
B. in department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not also buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well
C. those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, do not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but leave with only a basketball
D. those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well
E. department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone will not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball but will leave with only a basketball
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: SC shoppers [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 07:39
I'd go for D.

It's obvious that stevegt made a mistake in underlining the rite words.

The question should be like this:

-----------------

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC shoppers [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 07:51
solidcolor wrote:
I'd go for D.

It's obvious that stevegt made a mistake in underlining the rite words.

The question should be like this:

-----------------

I would also go with D but can someone explain me the highlighted portion, especially the bold portion. I mean, is it correct usage?

Sunil
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 08:02
sorry. I have corrected the underlined part.

Can someone tell me what's wrong with C?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 08:06
stevegt wrote:
sorry. I have corrected the underlined part.

Can someone tell me what's wrong with C?

In C, 2 actions are equivalent: "do shopping" and "buy (or not to buy) a pair of skis". The context suggests that "buy (or not to buy) a pair of skis" is subsequent to ""do shopping", not equivalent.
Manager
Manager

Re: SC shoppers [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 08:09
sunilgupta wrote:
solidcolor wrote:

I would also go with D but can someone explain me the highlighted portion, especially the bold portion. I mean, is it correct usage?

Sunil

:D It does sound weird to me, but anyway it's the only thing left after eliminating others.

Anyone can explain D?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: SC shoppers [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 09:27
solidcolor wrote:
sunilgupta wrote:
solidcolor wrote:

Sunil

:D It does sound weird to me, but anyway it's the only thing left after eliminating others.

Anyone can explain D?

There are definitely issues with D. But it is the best choice. I think this is one of those questions from SC1000 that has issues with it....
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 14:39
I was also stuck between C and D :cry:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 14:45
D for me.
It is clear and concise without ambiguity.
C creates confusion as if it were saying that shoppers do x, do Y and then there's no and do Z.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 15:34
D looks so horribly wrong too.

as well changes the meaning. also sounds awkward to me. If I am given a choice between this C and D, I would have chosen C for sure.
  [#permalink] 01 Aug 2007, 15:34