Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Short and Long Term Goals Question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Short and Long Term Goals Question [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2004, 05:17
I'm currenlty an IT consultant for a very large company, and I'm applying to the top tier schools for an MBA. As my long term goal, I am stating that I would like to start my own business, a software company. For my short term goal, I am looking to switch careers into i-banking. I plan to use the knowledge of financial transactions and contacts I gain from my MBA and i-banking experiences to help fund my business.

My question is would my long term goal of wanting to start a business preclude me from admission since it is possible to start a business without an MBA?

My other question is my short term goal of switching industries realistic? Would it improve my chances if I were switching to strategy consulting?

Would both of these hurt my application to a top tier school?

Thank you
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2004, 14:43
No, neither of these objectives will hurt your application. B-schools love to hear about applicants who want to attend for entrepreneurial purposes. If you can flesh out your ideas in your application and discuss how you would like to utilize the b-school's facilities that would be helpful.

I think your desire to first go into banking rather than strategy consulting before starting your own business is interesting, because the majority of applicants would discuss strategy consulting in their application. Just make sure you lay out your logic for wanting to go into banking and it should be fine.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2004, 17:36
Thanks for the information. Hopefully, I can convince admissions.