Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 16:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shortlisting Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Shortlisting Schools [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2004, 04:00
Hi,
I am in the process of shortlisting schools for my MBA Pgm. I am get good GMAT scores in practise tests and I am hoping to get atleast 720.
And what would be the best way to select the schools.
I attempted using rankings from USNEWS.com.

Here is my brief Background:

4.5 years IT experience in firms like Amex, HSBC etc in various roles.
(Banking Sector - Credit Cards Division)
78 % in Engineering (Top 1% of students in a reputed Engg. college)

And these are my first few choices:

Kellog ( for its 1 year MBA Pgm)
Wharton
HBS
ISB (Indian School Of Business)
??

I am basically a tech person, so which schools give preference to tech persons ?

Also, do I need to give TOEFL to get into the top schools? Is it mandatory?

Thanks,
Satish.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2004, 08:57
Expert's post
I'm not sure that any school really gives preference to applicants coming from tech backgrounds. Schools like Sloan, Smith (Maryland), and Krannert (Purdue) tend to be more tech-oriented, but keep in mind that techies tend to apply to those schools more than they to other schools, so you won't necessarily have an advantage. Having a tech background won't be a liability, but it won't necessarily be an asset for you, either.

If English isn't your first language, then plan on taking the TOEFL, although check each school's specific requirements.

BTW, if you want to get into a one-year program, you'll really need to demonstrate business experience (and often an undergrad business degree, too). Do you have that?

Finally, I won't go into it much now because I've already said it a dozen times in this forum, but you will be competing against A LOT of Indians with tech backgrounds and good test scores. Ask yourself, "What makes me different?" Hopefully it's more than just your GPA and GMAT, because all Indians with tech experience will probably have the same.

Good luck,
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2004, 21:32
Thanks Scott !!

I will remember that.
And what do you mean when u ask if english is my first language ?

English is definetly not my mother tongue, but it is my medium of instruction in school, college and university.

Thanks
Satish
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2004, 08:30
Expert's post
Hmm, it depends. For instance, HBS says that if you studied at an English-speaking school anywhere, then you don't have to take the TOEFL:

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/apply/applicatio ... fltwe.html

But Kellogg says that you will have to take it unless you went to school in one of a handful of specific English-speaking countries:

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/adm ... ernational

So, check with each school to be sure, but you should probably plan on taking it.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews