Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 06:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shot at Kellogg, Booth, HBS, scholly at Carlson (MN)?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Shot at Kellogg, Booth, HBS, scholly at Carlson (MN)? [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 17:38
Hey all. Thanks in advance for any advice I get. I am starting to gear up for applying this Fall (to start in 2014) and am looking for some insight into my chances at these schools.

Stats:

Asian
UGPA: 2.97...yeah, too much partying. Wish I could take it back.
Law GPA: 3.79
WE at matriculation (as a practicing attorney): 2 years
GMAT: 760

I am currently a practicing attorney and recently graduated from a T14 law school (stupid designation I know...but that's a standard cutoff). I want to get into consulting at one of MBB or private equity (which I know is a long shot given my lack of experience pre B school). I'd like to be in Chicago but for personal reasons would consider a full scholly at Carlson if I could snag it. Kind of debt averse. HBS is a dream but the prestige obviously interests me.

Do I have a shot at any of these?

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: Shot at Kellogg, Booth, HBS, scholly at Carlson (MN)? [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 18:41
You are very well in the running for all the schools you mentioned. I am assuming you will be having 3 years work ex at matriculation which is absolutely fine. You have got good stats leaving aside the UG GPA. HBS, Booth and Kellogg are tough to get in for everyone. Carlson should be a cakewalk with a good chance at scholarship provided you are serious. However, consulting from Carlson is not a good idea. Good luck.
Intern
Intern

Re: Shot at Kellogg, Booth, HBS, scholly at Carlson (MN)? [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 18:55
boothcornellrock wrote:
You are very well in the running for all the schools you mentioned. I am assuming you will be having 3 years work ex at matriculation which is absolutely fine. You have got good stats leaving aside the UG GPA. HBS, Booth and Kellogg are tough to get in for everyone. Carlson should be a cakewalk with a good chance at scholarship provided you are serious. However, consulting from Carlson is not a good idea. Good luck.

Thanks for the quick reply. To start, I would only have 2 years WE at matriculation. Is that a significant disadvantage compared to three? Also, can you expand on the relative placement into MBB from Carlson vs. the other three? Why is it not a good idea? Do those firms tend to hire only out of the top 7? At least with any frequency? Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Shot at Kellogg, Booth, HBS, scholly at Carlson (MN)? [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 19:37
This post received
KUDOS
jdmbagoodidea wrote:
boothcornellrock wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. To start, I would only have 2 years WE at matriculation. Is that a significant disadvantage compared to three? Also, can you expand on the relative placement into MBB from Carlson vs. the other three? Why is it not a good idea? Do those firms tend to hire only out of the top 7? At least with any frequency? Thanks!

Two years at matriculation is certainly on the low side, but it is not unheard of. That said, you'll need to convince the adcom why you NEED an MBA. After all, you already have a professional degree from a prestigious university; what doors will an MBA open that you cannot open with your JD?

To your second question, MBB recruits most strongly from the top 15 or so programs, with more hires coming out of the top 7 (M7 in business school lingo). I would advise you to carefully scrutinize the employment reports of any school you're thinking about applying to before you commit the time and energy.
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: Shot at Kellogg, Booth, HBS, scholly at Carlson (MN)? [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 19:50
jdmbagoodidea wrote:
boothcornellrock wrote:

Not a significant disadvantage but 3-6 is ideal for b-schools, at least that is what the class profiles suggest. If you can, wait for a year. Else, you can still apply. MBB out of Carlson would be very tough/near impossible. MBB do recruit at other schools outside of top 7 but numbers start falling with each tier. You should consider other schools as well - Tuck, Duke, Michigan and Darden. You can recruit for MBB Chicago office from any of these schools i guess - but that is one of the most sought after offices. Add Michigan to your list if you do not want to leave mid-west. Go through school employment reports, websites and talk to students for your preliminary research.

Last edited by boothcornellrock on 24 Mar 2013, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Shot at Kellogg, Booth, HBS, scholly at Carlson (MN)? [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 19:59
boothcornellrock wrote:
jdmbagoodidea wrote:
boothcornellrock wrote:

Not a significant disadvantage but 3-6 is ideal for b-schools, at least that is what the class profiles suggest. If you can, wait for a year. Else, you can still apply. MBB out of Carlson would be very tough/near impossible. MBB do recruit at other schools outside of top 7 but numbers start falling with each tier. You should consider other schools as well - Tuck, Duke, Michigan and Darden. You can recruit for MBB Chicago office from any of these schools i guess - but that is one of the most sought after offices i guess. Add Michigan to your list if you do not want to leave mid-west. Go through school employment reports, websites and talk to students for your preliminary research.

Thanks to both of you!
Re: Shot at Kellogg, Booth, HBS, scholly at Carlson (MN)?   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2013, 19:59