Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [36]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [10]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [0]
Send PM
Re: Virtually undisturbed for the last three centuries on their starkly be [#permalink]
younggun044 wrote:
914. Virtually undisturbed for the last three centuries on their starkly beautiful islands near the edge of the Arctic Circle, the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and a life-style that bring warmth to their harsh environment.
(A) the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and a life-style that bring warmth
(B) the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and a life-style that brings warmth
(C) evolving folkways and a life-style were evolved by the Lofotens inhabitants to bring warmth
(D) evolving folkways and a life-style brought warmth to the Lofotens’ inhabitants as well as
(E) warmth-bringing folkways and life-styles have been evolved by the inhabitants of the Lofotens

A or B: Only Answers with reasonings are allowed

It can be A or B, depending on the sense which is determined by the clause after "that". In this case it looks like A.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
Re: Virtually undisturbed for the last three centuries on their starkly be [#permalink]
Kudos
younggun044 wrote:

Virtually undisturbed for the last three centuries on their starkly beautiful islands near the edge of the Arctic Circle, the inhabitants (SUBJECT) of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and a life-style (Compound Object of the verb HAVE EVOLVED -- becomes compund subject of the predicate clause) that bring (Plural Verb) warmth to their harsh environment.

It's a simple question - however just wanted to highlight how prepositional phrases ELONGATE a sentence and make it hard to distinguish and single out the true subject and predicate.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
CDE out b/c incorrect modifier.

B is wrong b/c should be bring not brings. "And" causes singular subjects to become plural.

Ans A.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

B is wrong b/c should be bring not brings. "And" causes singular subjects to become plural.

Ans A.

is this always a rigid rule ? i just did this question on the SC1000 set and chose B :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Since the first sentence in modifying inhabitants, the choice needs to start with inhabitants A&B, stick to the Plural.

Stay with A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Thanks Tommy,

I have a follow-up question. So how to make it singular?

Like this way?
1) The table and the chair that are bought from somewhere.
2) The table and the chair, which is bought from somewhere, blah blah blah...

TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Looks like there are a few questions about this one, so I thought I'd weigh in.

Virtually undisturbed for the last three centuries on their starkly beautiful islands near the edge of the Arctic Circle, the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and a life-style that bring warmth to their harsh environment.
(A) the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and a life-style that bring warmth
(B) the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and a life-style that brings warmth
(C) evolving folkways and a life-style were evolved by the Lofotens inhabitants to bring warmth
(D) evolving folkways and a life-style brought warmth to the Lofotens’ inhabitants as well as
(E) warmth-bringing folkways and life-styles have been evolved by the inhabitants of the Lofotens

We have a couple issues here, namely subject-verb agreement and modifiers. We'll start with subject-verb agreement, since that seems to be the heart of the controversy. The split is between "bring" and "brings". Whenever we see a split like this, we should go looking for the subject. And here's the key...whenever you see "AND" separating two possible subjects, your subject is plural.

A few people have wondered if the relative pronoun "that" should mean that only the one subject before it is the subject. But we're always allowed to have compound subjects.

Think about this sentence: "The desk and table that are in her room are going to be given away tomorrow night." You'd never say "The desk and table that is in her room...". The subject here is COMPOUND because of the AND, so it has to be plural. Also, the meaning of the sentence points towards plurality, as both subjects are doing the action of "bringing warmth".

C, D, and E are all wrong because the participial modifier "Undisturbed by..." needs to modify "inhabitants", whereas it modifies "folkways" in those answer choices.

Hope that helps!

-tommy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [0]
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Looks like there are a few questions about this one, so I thought I'd weigh in.

Virtually undisturbed for the last three centuries on their starkly beautiful islands near the edge of the Arctic Circle, the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and a life-style that bring warmth to their harsh environment.

We have a couple issues here, namely subject-verb agreement and modifiers. We'll start with subject-verb agreement, since that seems to be the heart of the controversy. The split is between "bring" and "brings". Whenever we see a split like this, we should go looking for the subject. And here's the key...whenever you see "AND" separating two possible subjects, your subject is plural.

A few people have wondered if the relative pronoun "that" should mean that only the one subject before it is the subject. But we're always allowed to have compound subjects.

Think about this sentence: "The desk and table that are in her room are going to be given away tomorrow night." You'd never say "The desk and table that is in her room...". The subject here is COMPOUND because of the AND, so it has to be plural. Also, the meaning of the sentence points towards plurality, as both subjects are doing the action of "bringing warmth".

C, D, and E are all wrong because the participial modifier "Undisturbed by..." needs to modify "inhabitants", whereas it modifies "folkways" in those answer choices.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

Hello Tommy

Can you please explain why "a" before life-style, does not make "life-style" the subject and then we need a singular verb (brings).

In my opinion.

1) the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and life-style that bring warmth
2) the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and a life-style that brings warmth

I hope, i have made my point clear.

Please clarify. Thanx
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hey Tommy, I have the same question as nverma.

I understood the compound subjects in option (A) but chose (B) because of "a life-style"

(A) the inhabitants of the Lofotens have evolved folkways and life-style that bring warmth

would appreciate your feedback.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey All,

Seems like there were a couple of follow-up questions here, which I'm happy to help on.

#1: The first asked how to use a relative pronoun to only refer to one item in a list. As far as I know, there is no way to do this without a bit of ambiguity. Ambiguity is one of those issues that isn't NECESSARILY wrong on the GMAT, but most often is. As an example:

The table and chairs, which I bought at Ikea, are great.

Do we know whether I bought JUST the chairs, or the table and chairs, at Ikea? No. Ambiguous, but probably okay.

The house and the birds, which can't even fly, will be going to my ex-wife in the divorce.

In this case, the which clearly refers to birds, but it's through logical context, not grammar, that we get it. Thus this would still be considered ambiguous, but probably okay (hopefully there's be an answer choice that offered a better solution). Either way, the verb "will" in this example, like the word "are" in the previous example, must be the verbs that go with the compound subject (table and chairs OR house and birds), because the word AND always creates a compound subject.

#2: As for the other question, this involves the use of ARTICLES. Articles are words like "a", "the" and "an". The rules for these are so hardwired into our heads that we sometimes forget they exist. Basically, you have to use articles in certain singular cases:

I have a headache NOT I have headache.
I have the house NOT I have house.

But generally with plural nouns, the article changes the meaning.

I have dogs (general) OR I have the dogs. (specific)

This example has a singular noun (life-style). This requires an article in front of it.

I have a lifestyle NOT I have lifestyle.

This makes answer choice A incorrect anyway. However, articles DO NOT define the number of the noun itself. The fact that there is an "a" before "life-style" is not what makes "life-style" singular. You simply have to put an "a" in front of a singular noun in this case.

Feel free to continue asking follow up questions, but hopefully that made sense. : )

-tommy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
trivikram wrote:
A compound noun "folkways and a life-style " needs a plural verb "bring"

and A should be it

Do a verb attached to two nouns connected with an "and" always be plural?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

Ans A.

Although it looks easy but one might get confused between A and B. In option B, "that" refers to lifestyle (immediately before "that"). So, lifestyle (singular) is followed by that and thus singular "brings" should be used. But I think in this sentence, "that" refers to folkways and a life-style. So usage of bring is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Daagh sir, pls clear the answer between a and b...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
rishi,
Yes. Please have no doubts that the compound noun 'folkways and a life style ' does entail the plural"bring' rather than the singular 'brings'. If you want the life-style alone to be referred by the relative pronoun 'that', then you must rewrite the sentence as 'a lifestyle that brings warmth to their harsh environment and folkways.

For more on this, please google the SC question 'Published in Harlem' and in that you can see this concept in full.

Therefore A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Yes, you can go with that because this is a very nice option to go with.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 337
Send PM
What about this sentence - I have bought a notebook and a pen that contains blue ink. Is this sentence wrong? If yes then ok. If no, then option A and B are debatable.

Can someone clarify? Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
Virtually undisturbed for the last three centuries on their starkly be [#permalink]
VerbalBot wrote:
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMATNinja AndrewN
EducationAisle
MartyTargetTestPrep

This is a perfect counter example. Please explain the options A and Options B wrt this example.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
galafgon wrote:
This is a perfect counter example. Please explain the options A and Options B wrt this example.

Do you mean this example?

Quote:
What about this sentence - I have bought a notebook and a pen that contains blue ink. Is this sentence wrong? If yes then ok. If no, then option A and B are debatable.

That sentence is correct, but the meaning conveyed by the sentence in this question is such that it makes more sense to use the plural "bring."

Here's the original version of the sentence.

Notice that the logical meaning for the sentence to express is not simply that the inhabitants have evolved folkways. Basically any group of people who live together would evolve folkways. So, there wouldn't really be any point to saying simply that they evolved folkways, along with something else, "a life-style that brings warmth."

What makes sense is to say that they evolved two things that bring warmth to their harsh environment, "folkways and a life-style." That fact warrants stating.

I realize that that meaning issue is subtle and that it's not 100 percent clear that the (B) version is incorrect, but the above explains why (B) is considered incorrect even though that notebook and pen sentence is correct.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts