Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 00:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should experienced professional, post-MBA, redo GMAT for MC?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Should experienced professional, post-MBA, redo GMAT for MC? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 17:24
I'm in a somewhat uncommon situation and thought I would reach out to the helpful people of this forum for some advice.

I've had over a decade of great professional experience with a couple large companies and growing a small company substantially and managing 5+ person teams at that company and doing a fair amount of analytical work in that time. I completed my MBA part-time at one of the top universities in my country while growing that small company. I didn't think much of the GMAT at the time other than do well enough to get into the MBA program. I think I scored in the high-500s which is a shame as I've been excellent academically throughout my life, but didn't put much study time at all into the GMAT.

It occurred to me about two years ago through some work and school exposure that I wanted to get into management consulting because of a love for complicated problems and helping firms improve their performance, so I joined a small consulting firm (12 people) through the partner knowing of my work and liking me and what I could do. GMAT wasn't brought up at all during the joining of that firm. I have been there almost a year.

Now the crux of the problem. I want to move to a larger brand name consulting firm for making a bigger difference and ideally greater pay and long-term prospects. Prior posts on this forum have stated that >700 is virtually a need to make MBB and certainly not a hindrance. I'm assuming LEK, OW, Booz, Deloitte, PwC and Accenture also look at it although weight it at a lesser extent than MBB.

Should I retake the GMAT? I know it must be rare for someone post-MBA and experienced to do this, but it seems to be the best call unless I'm likely to get into Deloitte, PwC, and Accentures of this world without retaking. Then again, maybe a higher GMAT will make those firms easier as well.

I very much appreciate your constructive advice in advance.

Thank you.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Should experienced professional, post-MBA, redo GMAT for MC?   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2014, 17:24