Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 07:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I apply this year?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Should I apply this year? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 05:09
Hi All,

I passed my GMAT this week and now considering applying to Business Schools. Although I am late for round 1 this year, I am studying the opportunity of applying this year. I hope you could share a few advice or your personal experience that I could learn from, and eventually help me in my decision whether I proceed with my application this year or I postpone for next year.

My profile:

GMAT: 690 (Q49, V33, AWA 4.5).
Years of experience: 4.5
Nationality: French + Lebanese (binational)
Languages: French, English and Arabic (Fluent)
Studies: Master in Telecom Engineering from one of the most prestigious engineering schools in France + Master in Business (Part time) from La Sorbonne Paris.
Country of residence: I worked and lived in France, the UK and the Middle East.
GPA: I was always in the top 30%. However, in France, where I did my studies, the GPA system is not used. In general, the reputation of the school is a guarantee for high performance since the admission selection is very hard.

Work Experience:

1. Technical work experience: A total of 1 year working as a Telecom engineer + project manager
2. Business work experience: 4 years of sales and business developpement in the high tech industry including 3 years with full international exposure. Actually, I was managing international sales for my company in more than 20 countries.
3. Entrepreneurship experiences: I had 2 experiences. One of them resulted in the setup of user generated content for Wine.

The Issue:

I have 2 options:
1- Apply this year
Pro: I will graduate 1 year earlier (30-31 years old)
Cons: (1) I will rush through the application but with the help of admission consultant, this should be possible (2) I will miss round 1 (3)
2- Apply next year
Pro: (1) I will have time to add a new experience to my profile (2) I will have more time to work on my application (3) I will apply round 1
Cons: (1) I will miss 1 year (graduation at 31-32 years old)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1545 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 05:59
You have a what seems like a quality profile, and your VERY varied linguistic and national background is particularly striking and noteable. I'm sure the grande ecole won't hurt (I presume we are talking X, ENA, ENST, etc). You certainly have the requisite years of experience, and your responsibilities (the little bits you mention) sounds more than sufficient for being competitive in the MBA process. In short, you have an interesting and competitive profile. I'd even go insofar as to suggest that your nationality and breadth of linguistics, combined with what sounds like diverse international experience, place you squarely in the well above average candidate category.

It's probably still possible to apply this year, but it will just mean a lot of hard work. The question really becomes this: How much time do you have to dedicate to it now? Can you put in a lot of effort immediately? Are you willing to give up weekends to edit essays? Have you given your story any thought? Have you researched schools? Do you know where you want to apply, and more importantly, why you want to apply there? Have you already approached your recommenders? Do you trust them to complete the work in a month or two?

The more you can say 'yes' to the above, the more likely you are to be successful... the more you say no... the more you might want to consider postponing.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 06:12
Quote:
How much time do you have to dedicate to it now? Can you put in a lot of effort immediately? Are you willing to give up weekends to edit essays?

Yes. I will put all the needed efforts.

Quote:
Have you given your story any thought?

Not really. I passed my GMAT this week and I did not want to be disturbed with other matters.

Quote:
Do you know where you want to apply, and more importantly, why you want to apply there?

I have a list of 8-9 BS and I need to narrow down the options.

Quote:
Have you already approached your recommenders? Do you trust them to complete the work in a month or two?

1 ouf of 2 recommenders was approached and I trust him to complete the work in a short time. However, my direct manager is still not aware of my MBA projects but I guess that he will be supportive.

Last but not least, I still have to pass the TOEFL needed for the majority of BS.

Quote:
  [#permalink] 01 Nov 2007, 06:12