Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 10:54

Going on right now!

Interview Invites from Chicago - Booth | Join the chat room for Live Updates.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I apply to more schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Should I apply to more schools? [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2005, 20:25
Linda,

I’ve submitted first round applications to HBS and Sloan. I’m currently working on first round applications to Johnson and Tuck. I’m beginning to wonder whether I should consider applying to another school or 2, as each of these schools are VERY competitive!

About me:

Age 26

Undergrad degree: Information Technology Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
GPA: 3.82

GMAT: 730 (99% verbal, 79%quantitive) 6 AWA

Recommendations: Previous Supervisor, Previous Client, and Professor of MBA class I took as an undergrad at RPI. (I’ve written an essay indicating that because of the size of my company I don’t feel comfortable letting them know I’m applying to business school, I’ve been with this company less than 8 months)

Work experience: 3 years as of now, 4 before matriculation. 2 entrepreneurial companies, acting as developer, applications consultant, senior consultant, my title is now Project Manager. I have extensive leadership roles and client interaction experiences to write about.

Extra: I volunteer coach 12-15 year old ski racers in a local program

Why MBA: I want to move away from specific client projects, and get more involved in general organizational management. My ultimate goals are entrepreneurial, I need to develop my understanding of marketing, organizational theory, and leadership strategies to be a more effective entrepreneurial leader.

Let me know if you think I’m taking a big risk by only applying to Harvard, MIT, Dartmouth, and Cornell. If I wait to see if I get into one of these schools first round, it will be too late for second round at most schools. Any suggestions for other programs I should consider?

Thanks for your time!

CJ
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Should I apply to more schools? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2005, 14:54
Expert's post
CJFonzi wrote:
Linda,

I’ve submitted first round applications to HBS and Sloan. I’m currently working on first round applications to Johnson and Tuck. I’m beginning to wonder whether I should consider applying to another school or 2, as each of these schools are VERY competitive!

About me:

Age 26

Undergrad degree: Information Technology Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
GPA: 3.82

GMAT: 730 (99% verbal, 79%quantitive) 6 AWA

Recommendations: Previous Supervisor, Previous Client, and Professor of MBA class I took as an undergrad at RPI. (I’ve written an essay indicating that because of the size of my company I don’t feel comfortable letting them know I’m applying to business school, I’ve been with this company less than 8 months)

Work experience: 3 years as of now, 4 before matriculation. 2 entrepreneurial companies, acting as developer, applications consultant, senior consultant, my title is now Project Manager. I have extensive leadership roles and client interaction experiences to write about.

Extra: I volunteer coach 12-15 year old ski racers in a local program

Why MBA: I want to move away from specific client projects, and get more involved in general organizational management. My ultimate goals are entrepreneurial, I need to develop my understanding of marketing, organizational theory, and leadership strategies to be a more effective entrepreneurial leader.

Let me know if you think I’m taking a big risk by only applying to Harvard, MIT, Dartmouth, and Cornell. If I wait to see if I get into one of these schools first round, it will be too late for second round at most schools. Any suggestions for other programs I should consider?

Thanks for your time!

CJ

CJ,

I think your chances of acceptance are good at at least one of these four programs. However, there is safety in numbers. You have the advantage of time and if you can submit one or two more applications second round, your chances of acceptance somewhere or a choice of admissions increases.

IF you do choose to apply to additional schools, consider Kellogg, Duke, Haas, and Michigan. None of them are safeties, but they all support your goals in one way or another.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog