Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 08:42

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Apply to NYU in R2?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Should I Apply to NYU in R2? [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2008, 17:34
All,

I wanted to get your opinion. I want to apply to NYU in R2, but I won't be able to attend a class before the deadline Jan. 15th (NYU only does fall semester class visits, which are over next week - I live in Houston). I'm going to try and get up there for an information session before the deadline though.

My problem is part a) of essay 2, it specifically asks "What is your personal experience with the Stern community? What actions have you taken to learn more about us?" Will speaking with alumni, current students, and attending an information session be enough to answer this question convincingly? I'm just not sure if I should even apply if I can't really knock out this part of the application.

Thanks for your advice in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Apply to NYU in R2? [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2008, 17:43
I think that that will be enough for you to write a persuasive essay to answer that question. When I sat in on a Stern class I didn't get that much material for my fit essay. For me, the most important thing was the tour and talking with the student ambassadors. If you could do that then I think you'll be set.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Manager
Manager
Schools: Georgetown '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Apply to NYU in R2? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 06:51
I'm having kind of a similar problem with Columbia. I know the university pretty well because my dad went there for JD/MBA, my Brother went there undergrad, I took some classes there in their weekend science program in high school and I dated a girl who was going there for 2 years when I was an undergrad. We also have a bunch of family friends who went to the b-school ranging from recent grads to people from my dad's class. So I've got a decent idea of what the B-school is like inside the university. But I've got no vacation days left and virtually no sick days (they just told us yesterday we're REQUIRED :shock: to take 7 vacation days for christmas whether we have them or not).

Is not going on a visit a huge detriment?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Apply to NYU in R2? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 07:40
Sleepy wrote:
I'm having kind of a similar problem with Columbia. I know the university pretty well because my dad went there for JD/MBA, my Brother went there undergrad, I took some classes there in their weekend science program in high school and I dated a girl who was going there for 2 years when I was an undergrad. We also have a bunch of family friends who went to the b-school ranging from recent grads to people from my dad's class. So I've got a decent idea of what the B-school is like inside the university. But I've got no vacation days left and virtually no sick days (they just told us yesterday we're REQUIRED :shock: to take 7 vacation days for christmas whether we have them or not).

Is not going on a visit a huge detriment?

Columbia is the only school that I have visited so far that did not ask me to sign / did not seem to track visits. It seems to me that they really don't care.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Apply to NYU in R2? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 08:18
Quote:
Columbia is the only school that I have visited so far that did not ask me to sign / did not seem to track visits. It seems to me that they really don't care

HBS didn't seem to care either.
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Apply to NYU in R2? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 08:22
Just FYI - I was asked to sign in for both my class and info session visits at CBS.

It's probably meaningless for schools to track visits anyway. Virtually everyone who has visited is going to talk about them in their essays, so the admissions committees are going to find out who visited and didn't one way or the other nonetheless.

HBS of course doesn't care the same way it doesn't care about applicants answering "Why HBS?" in its essays.

agold wrote:
Columbia is the only school that I have visited so far that did not ask me to sign / did not seem to track visits. It seems to me that they really don't care.
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Apply to NYU in R2? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 08:47
Hi JB32,

you could also read a book or research artical written by a Stern Prof on a subject matter that interests you (and is aligned to your goals). You can spin this into this particular essay question.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Apply to NYU in R2? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 18:40
Wow, you guys are keen. Reading books by the Professors? Really?!?

The information sessions are good, but you can get that information from reaching out and looking out who to contact on the website. You can message me if you want. Just ask reasonable questions when you contact people at Stern and I am sure you will get a response reasonably quickly.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Should I Apply to NYU in R2? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2008, 00:13
Quote:
Should I Apply to NYU in R2?

If you are planning to attend B-school next year, why not give it a shot? I'm sure a lot of people will not have a chance to visit the school, especially internationals. Texas is pretty far from NY, I think the adcom will understand if you don't visit. You can talk about the research you've done about the school. I think those essays are aimed at gauging the interest of a candidate and if he/she has done any research. While visiting probably makes a stronger case, I doubt NYU will ding you because of it.
Re: Should I Apply to NYU in R2?   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2008, 00:13