Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 22:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I apply to Stanford? Need advice!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg '14 (S)
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Should I apply to Stanford? Need advice! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 00:46
Hi all,

I am new to this forum, so please bare with me. :-) I am currently in the decision process of where to apply to business school next fall and am struggling with the decision of whether to apply to Stanford. I believe that I have a pretty unique background, but I also realize that it is extremely difficult to get in. Here's my background:

Top 30 undergrad university: Quantitative Economics Overall GPA: 3.1, Major GPA 3.3 (definitely a low point)
GMAT: 700 Q49, V36
Work experience:
2.5 years at top healthcare consulting firm w/earliest promotion to more senior level position (managing team of 4-7)
1.5 years in Africa working as a consultant for a pretty prestigious non profit NGO (6 months) and a mobilization manager (1 year)
Other extra curricular: Paid for college solely through poker winnings and book sell-back business, high school state chess champion, extensive volunteer work in Latin America and Mexico, and mentor in Alcohol and Drug abuse rehab center

My ultimate goal is to either start a nonprofit consulting firm or to start a company producing items such as African sandals or other goods (not sure what yet) in Africa hiring local unskilled labor to dramatically decrease unemployment rates with the intent of exporting the goods into the U.S. I think Stanford would be my top choice if I applied as I love its social entrepreneurship focus; however, I don't want to waste my time applying if I don't have much of a chance when I could focus my energy on my other applications.

Thanks for any advice you might have!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I apply to Stanford? Need advice! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 04:22
This post received
KUDOS
nice profile.
m not a GMAT expert but i believe you should apply for Standford.

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I apply to Stanford? Need advice! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 04:37
This post received
KUDOS
You probably have something of a shot, but your GPA is low for Stanford (avg. 3.69) and so is your GMAT (avg. 730).

You should post your profile on the admissions consultants' threads and see what their opinion is.

Yale has a GREAT social entrepreneurship program, older and more established than Stanford's.

My blog: http://www.theapplicationist.blogspot.com/
My application status: 2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595.html#p983273

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Should I apply to Stanford? Need advice! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 05:34
This post received
KUDOS
Your background is indicative of a H/S student... but the GPA/GMAT is not. I think you will have a reasonable "chance" at either school should you apply based on your background but you need to understand your GPA isn't doing you any favors and the GMAT isn't making up for it. If you can pop a 730+ on GMAT through a retake I would try it which will greatly improve your candidacy.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 457 [2] , given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I apply to Stanford? Need advice! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 11:05
This post received
KUDOS
Apply to Stanford!!! Don't be in a situation after 4 years when you will regret that why didn't you applied to GSB!! Rejection from a top school doesn't matter much. It's a win win situation!! Concentrate on your application, good stories can do wonders!!

Best of luck!!!

Posted from my mobile device Image

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg '14 (S)
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Should I apply to Stanford? Need advice! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 15:25
Thanks everyone for the insightful constructive feedback. I really appreciate it! Yeah, the GPA is definitely a low point (2.5 freshman year as electrical engineering major is killing me :? ) and the lowish GMAT, but I might just give it a shot. All I have to waste is time and some money. I'll keep you all posted.

Okay, thanks again and good luck to you all!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 600 Q52 V40

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I apply to Stanford? Need advice! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 10:28
Try for Johns Hopkins Carey Business School.Look at its global mba program. I think it matches your future goal. Just go through the structure and see if it gives you a call. Stanford is definitely a great school for social entrepreneurship and you should apply. Moreover, your healthcare background will really help you to have higher chances of getting selected in both stanford and at hopkins.Try your luck.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Should I apply to Stanford? Need advice! [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 11:02
Just remember that Stanford only accepts about 7% of applicants so although most candidates have a shot, hardly any get in. This means throw together an amazing application that really highlights your uniqueness. You may not get in, but it will be a rewarding process. You would be a good fit there, now it's just a matter of proving it to them!

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I apply to Stanford? Need advice! [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 13:47
Apply. You should focus on preparing the best application you possibly can and send it in and let Stanford admissions evaluate you. I always believe that you should not live life with regrets and I would regret my decision to let statistics guide my choice of schools, as long as I was a reasonable candidate - and from what you present - you are a reasonably strong candidate.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Should I apply to Stanford? Need advice!   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2012, 13:47