Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 09:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I be disappointed?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Should I be disappointed? [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 18:50
Took my first GMAT today and made 560 which I know is pretty average. I felt released when I saw my score because I was super nervous and expected the worst.
I had been studying for only one month but put A LOT of time in during these last 5 weeks. I studied daily, 7 days a week for several hours each day, using the OG, and verbal and quantitative review plus a Math book from Manhattan.

I did much better on my verbal section than on my quantitative section although I am a non-native English speaker. They didn't give me a score for the Integrated Reasoning section today and I think I totally failed that. I actually thought IR was the hardest. It seemed like there was just not enough time to answer these 12 questions. I needed more time to think things though which I didn't have and felt very pressured.

So after reading several of your all's GMAT stories I have come to the conclusion that most of you would consider a 560 a terrible score. My score today, however, was much better than the ones I got on the practice tests. (490 and 530)

I do not plan to apply to one of the top ten business schools, in fact I am looking at part time programs only. The university where I got my undergraduate degree at offers a nice MBA program, but is not even listed in the top 100 business schools. The average GMAT score of all MBA students at this university is 550. I am guessing I would get into the program if I applied there.

So I also understand that the GMAT is only one part of the application How important are work experience and undergraduate GPA? I received a perfect 4.0 for my BA and have 10 years of international work experience.

What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? Retake the GMAT? I am really not sure if I want to go through all this stress again and I am wondering how big my chances are to get into a good program with my picture perfect GPA and my professional background, but a relatively low GMAT score?

Any ideas?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
INSEAD Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 67

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Should I be disappointed? [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 20:22
Check the school discussions where you wanna apply. GMAT is a means to a goal, some people make it an end goal in itself. If you have enough score for your targetted school then i don't think you need to give it again. Unless you feel you have to prove you can do better. Speak to the admission committee at your school they are usually very helpful.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Cheers
Farhan

http://gmatfarhan.blogspot.in

Re: Should I be disappointed?   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2013, 20:22