Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I be memorizing theory, or doing problems?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 13

Should I be memorizing theory, or doing problems? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS
I'm taking the GMAT prep course Manhattan GMAT...and I've already kind of fallen behind in the studying (well...we only started last week). I keep trying to memorize all the little rules (odd/even, divsibility, prime numbers etc.). I know what it all is, it's just that I'm having a hard time memorizing everything like they suggest. In fact, I haven't even done a single problem yet! Should I just start doing problems, then refer back to the guides (the rules/theory) as needed? I'm beginning to get down on myself because I can't seem to remember all those little stupid rules, but I also want to actually get my hands into the real material
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 0

Re: Should I be memorizing theory, or doing problems? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 12:24
This post received
KUDOS
VictoryMBA wrote:
I'm taking the GMAT prep course Manhattan GMAT...and I've already kind of fallen behind in the studying (well...we only started last week). I keep trying to memorize all the little rules (odd/even, divsibility, prime numbers etc.). I know what it all is, it's just that I'm having a hard time memorizing everything like they suggest. In fact, I haven't even done a single problem yet! Should I just start doing problems, then refer back to the guides (the rules/theory) as needed? I'm beginning to get down on myself because I can't seem to remember all those little stupid rules, but I also want to actually get my hands into the real material

Yes Of course , three things you should be doing for GMAT

PRACTICE , PRACTICE and PRACTICE .

More you practice less you need to memorize these rules because then it will become part of your quant skills .
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 0

Re: Should I be memorizing theory, or doing problems? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 12:25
This post received
KUDOS
The theory should be second nature. That way you can go through the problems quickly. If you forget a theory, such as odd times odd, you can just test it out. 3x3 = odd. No biggy. But, having those "tools" as second nature will make you not only better prepared, but also help you to control any anxiety.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 86 [1] , given: 0

Re: Should I be memorizing theory, or doing problems? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 13:48
This post received
KUDOS
I think you should buy into whatever way they want you to do it! I've never taken the MGMAT course but I'm sure they have a lot of experience the highest score out of the students in the class. Buy into your teacher and the materials if at the end of the course you aren't where you need to be, you can reevaluate the situation.
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 70 [1] , given: 78731

CAT Tests
Re: Should I be memorizing theory, or doing problems? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 16:13
This post received
KUDOS
Try note cards. Every day at the gym I bring my note cards like a huge nerd and study them while doing cardio - and at night I put in 2 hours of studying practicing problems. I'm not one of those super scorers yet (e.g., 700+) - but I've made a considerable jump in my score and really think it's helping. So basically, you have to do both ;-)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Should I be memorizing theory, or doing problems? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 17:23
This post received
KUDOS
You won't learn anything if you're just trying to memorize formulas instead of applying them. To learn them, you've got to practice them. Pick one question type at a time and do several practice questions before moving on to the next type.

It's not a matter of memorization; it's a matter of understanding through doing.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1856 [1] , given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Should I be memorizing theory, or doing problems? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 19:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
PRACTICE, PRACTICE and memorizing will be automatic.
Look at this, just for fun: 11-t62631

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 31

Re: Should I be memorizing theory, or doing problems? [#permalink] New post 25 May 2008, 08:37
This post received
KUDOS
I've found that picking one theory, studying problems to reinforce it and then repeating for others works really well. For me, I learn by practice so a reinforcement of concepts via problems is always good!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I be memorizing theory, or doing problems? [#permalink] New post 25 May 2008, 09:28
I still think if you are going to take a prep class you should buy into the system. I've read that veritas and mgmat both believe in teaching the theory first, the idea is that most students mindlessly blow through a bunch of problems and don't learn anything and waste perfectly good problems they could use the methods to practice on.

It's not like they are going to tell you to not practice ever they just want you to lean the methods first and then apply them to the practice problems.
Re: Should I be memorizing theory, or doing problems?   [#permalink] 25 May 2008, 09:28