Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting, International Business
Schools:Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
 Q46  V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Should I buy a puppy? [#permalink]
I wouldn't if you are living on your own.... Its going to be next to impossible to manage recruiting events (many events start @ 6pm and end @ 10pm), classes, team meetings and everything else while squeezing in running home to walk the dog every 3-4 hours or so (at least while its a pup).

We have a dog but my wife can walk him at night if I'm late, and we have a dog walker that comes every day during the day as well.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Having pets is a huge responsibility - especially when you're training them on your own. I would say if you get a pet, get one now, use this next year to house train it, and it could work out if you make time to walk it or get a dog walker. I have a dog but also a husband to help out when I won't be home, so like raabenb said, think long and hard about it :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
We have a dog and several of our friends here also have them. My advice dont get one unless you are married or going to be at school with someone who will work very stable hours. Kellogg is probably one of the easier schools to have a dog at, most of us live within a 10-15 minute walk of campus so running home at lunch to take the dog on a walk is easy. Our friends with dogs also have the same type of situtation as ours, wife works a 40-50 hour week (some dont work at all or work far less) but knows their schedules well in advance. Some have dog walkers if they are recruiting for very involved things like MC, others do what I do and make it work themselves.

I already know at least one person whose dog went to live with one of their parents since his wife worked crazy hours and the dog was alone almost the whole time. There are a few other people who didn't even bring their dogs to school.

Honestly, since you dont know which school you will be at I suggest not getting one. You could be at a school where you wont be living half a mile away, running back and forth between some schools and where you would want to live would not be possible. Anyways you wont be spending much time with your dog once school starts.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, International Business
Schools:Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
 Q46  V45
Send PM
Thanks. I have thought long and hard about it, and its killing me!

Went I visited Kellogg, I talked to a girl who had a dog. But she had a dogwalker ( I do not want to pay 15 bucks a day for this).

At Duke, I looked and saw Station 9, it appears, allows pets. It is the apt I would want to stay at.

I've got email to friend at Cornell, to see her opinion on it.

Finally, I emailed parents explaining them possiblity of them needing to have dog while I am in school.

I will make decision tomorrow. I have talked to a breeder, and have dog picked out.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
1st of all...at Kellogg finding a place to allow dogs is tough, it gets tougher the bigger the dog is. Over 25lbs and your choices are very limited and often pretty pricey. Half the people I know with dogs live in my building and pay 1800+ for rent...if the dog makes lots of noise you will get complaints and the dog will have to go.

2nd, you should adopt a dog. There are tons of dogs who need to be rescued, buying a dog from a breeder is silly. Its a dog, do you need a special kind of breed? The best dogs I have ever seen were mutts, they have great personalities, they often are healthier since they arent inbred, and if you dont take them in a lot of states they kill them. With the increase in foreclosures there are tons of abandoned animals looking for a home. Instead of spending $1,000+ for a pure breed, spend $250 and save a life. That $750 you save will pay for at least a few months worth of dog walkings.

My opinion, dont get a dog if you are even thinking about pawning it off on your parents. That is very childish...If we hadn't already had a dog there is no way we would have gotten one right before school.

Honestly, no one "NEEDS" a dog...having a dog is a commitment, dont be one of those people that wants a cute puppy and then can't handle it so you give it to someone else. You seem to be making an emotional decision at this point and rational behavior would tell you that you can't have a dog at this point. You wont see it nearly as much as you think you will. If I wasn't married, having a dog here would be completely selfish. Even with if I had a dog walker she would be alone way too much...my dog definitely would be living with my parents at this point if I didn't have a spouse who was around a lot more than I am to spend time with the dog.

Finally, a 1 year old dog has tons of energy and needs a lot more running around than a 5 year old dog. Heck, our dog is 3 and goes stir crazy at times. We take her to the dog beach here as often as we could but now its getting cold and dark early so she definitely gets cabin fever sometimes. If she had the energy she had when she was 1, our house would be destroyed and no one would want to come over because she would be nuts without hours of play time. Our dog used to go to daycare almost everyday of the week when she was that age and we still would take her to the beach or dog park after we picked her up and she never tired and still would be a pain at night sometimes wanting to play more.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
irishspring wrote:
I will make decision tomorrow. I have talked to a breeder, and have dog picked out.

Don't use a breeder man... just go to your local shelter and pick one out.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
How about a cat or two?
How easy would it be to have cats while in school? :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Operational issues aside, how is the housing situation when it comes to dogs in the different schools?
I'll be facing a tough decision, whether to take me dog with me or not. it's a black lab so he's pretty big. so far all of the on-campus housing i've checked weren't dog friendly but i'm not sure how problematic/expensive finding off-campus dog friendly housing will be...
O
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Pets are typically banned from student housing so you will have to look off campus. I can tell you at Kellogg your options where to live close to campus with a large dog are pretty limited. There are a few different places that allow them and they often are a slightly more expensive becuase they allow dogs. You also will have to pay additional security deposits.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
falxori wrote:
Operational issues aside, how is the housing situation when it comes to dogs in the different schools?
I'll be facing a tough decision, whether to take me dog with me or not. it's a black lab so he's pretty big. so far all of the on-campus housing i've checked weren't dog friendly but i'm not sure how problematic/expensive finding off-campus dog friendly housing will be...
O

Probably depends an awful lot on the school you end up at. Here in Chicago there are many options with dog friendly policies, but almost all -- at least 90%, maybe even 95% -- have weight limitations that would preclude you from bringing a large black lab. Basically, here in Chicago, if you have a big dog you can't live downtown unless you buy a place - just about every rental unit in downtown is no-pet or small-pet only. Everyone I know with dogs lives north of downtown - in part because its cheaper and you get more $ for your buck, but also because there are virtually zero options in the city itself for 90 pound dogs.
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
I agree- be prepared to start looking early for housing that allows pets, no matter where you go. You'll find housing somewhere, but you may have to sacrifice location or quality. And if you adopt a pet, be prepared for potential psychological or health issues. If you choose a breeder, do your research to make sure they are reputable. Either way, no one needs a pet - being someone who loves animals I understand wanting one very badly, but choosing to get a new pet right before business school may not be the best decision. I have many friends who adopted a dog and then ended up having to get rid of the dog not understanding the necessary responsibility and how expensive being a pet owner can be.

rhyme wrote:
falxori wrote:
O

Probably depends an awful lot on the school you end up at. Here in Chicago there are many options with dog friendly policies, but almost all -- at least 90%, maybe even 95% -- have weight limitations that would preclude you from bringing a large black lab. Basically, here in Chicago, if you have a big dog you can't live downtown unless you buy a place - just about every rental unit in downtown is no-pet or small-pet only. Everyone I know with dogs lives north of downtown - in part because its cheaper and you get more $ for your buck, but also because there are virtually zero options in the city itself for 90 pound dogs.
CIO
CIO
Own Kudos [?]: 1357 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Just wanted to point to this similar thread.
108-t70321

Just in case.
GMAT Club Bot