Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 02:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I change jobs?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Should I change jobs? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 03:13
I've just given the GMAT and plan on applying for fall 2008. At the same time I'm also contemplating a job change. The reason is that I'm not learning anything new here and feel bored. My management knows that I'm bored, so they are responding by giving me more of the same. So I feel that I'm wasting my time here. I know I can get what I want outside i.e. more responsibilities. But I'm not sure how it would affect my chances of admission to B schools if I switch jobs now. I don't have a history of job changes and I've changed jobs only once in the 10 years of my work experience. But I'm concerned that if I switch jobs now I will not be able to know my new managers at the new job long enough for them to give me good recommendations. What do you guys think about this? Any other points that I need to think about? My main goal ofcourse is to get into a good B school next year. Another thought is that my company isn't all that well known, so I'm thinking of trying to get a job at a company with a much better brand. Will that help?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 03:46
I think it's absolutely no problem. I'm applying for fall 2007, and still I'm considering job change. Why would they care, after all.

It may be a problem when you change jobs after 3-6 months - they may think you're a moron and were forced to get out. But if you have worked for a year or more, I think it's absolutely normal to go for a change.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 03:55
You are planning to go to school in 18 months, but it may happen to be in 30 months if things don't go your way.

Given that, there is hardly a problem in moving jobs - it is quite wise given the circumstance. Like Braindancer it is playing on my mind, but I have a few ideas of what I might do which would be influenced by outcomes of any applications I have.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 07:33
As 3Underscore said, nothing is guaranteed, I think the best strategy is to act as if school isn't an option and make decisions accordingly.
  [#permalink] 20 Feb 2007, 07:33