Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 21:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I change jobs a few years before applying?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Should I change jobs a few years before applying? [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 06:48
I'm a recent grad working my first year as a chemical engineer for a small chemical company that isn't really a household name unless you're in the oil and gas or specialty chemical biz. Since it's a small company, I get to work on a lot of big projects and get good experience, but engineering is definately not my calling! I'm planning to apply to MBA programs in 3-4 years to try to get in to non-profit consulting. Would my chances of getting accepted at a top school (I'm especially interested in Kellogg!) be better off staying at my current job, or should I try to get a job at a consulting company or something more business related now?

More about me: 3.3 GPA in chemical engineering at a state school, white female, above average extracurriculars (volunteering, on national board for Society of Women Engineers in college, etc), and currently studying for the GMAT (planning to study til I can get a 720+).

Anyone have any advice on what I should do?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Should I change jobs a few years before applying? [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 11:41
You sound a lot like me 1 year ago.

The best advice I got (and can give) is to do what YOU want to do. It's really that simple. Dont try to "position" yourself for MBA programs because the adcom will certainly ask you why you went from career A to career B (hint: the answer cannot be "to get into a top MBA program).

Do what aligns most with your goals-even if that means not joining McKinsey or Goldman because they're "feeders" in the top schools. Schools like accomplished, passionate people a lot more than a class of Yale educated investment bankers.

Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device Image

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I change jobs a few years before applying? [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 12:22
Thanks for your response and the advice! I've been wayyy overthinking applying to schools and had the mindset of making myself "the perfect candidate." But, like you said, I really need to just do what I really care about and the rest will fall in to place. I may have just needed someone to tell me that :)
Re: Should I change jobs a few years before applying?   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2013, 12:22