Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I change jobs? Need some advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Should I change jobs? Need some advice [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 17:33
Hi All,

I'm currently working at a Big 4 doing audit. I have been doing audit for 2 years and plan to apply next fall and start school at the end of 4 years of work exp.

I am currently considering jumping ship to either a senior accountant position or a financial analyst position. Would this be a smart move in terms of applying to B-School? Or am I better off staying in the Big 4 and finishing out my 2 years there? Not sure if it would look bad (in the eyes of ADCOMS) if I were to leave my firm now. What sort of thought processes should I keep in mind when making this decision?

Thanks
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I change jobs? Need some advice [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2011, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi stompy,

I recommend you pursue the position you are most passionate about because that will likely be where you have the most impact. Candidates are accepted into top MBA programs from Big 4 accounting firms and from other companies in the private sector- you should not make your decision solely on an admissions team.

We have a particular case study of a candidate who worked for a Big 4 public accounting firm and was subsequently accepted into NYU Stern:

http://www.stacyblackman.com/2011/09/08 ... eer-goals/

Hope this is of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I change jobs? Need some advice [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2011, 16:35
Thanks for the insight, kudos!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I change jobs? Need some advice [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2011, 23:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I would also add that in general, I don't think you need to really consider your MBA when making your career choices, but rather your life, your salary your position, the REAL people you will be working with the REAL job. There's no point sticking in a terrible job for three years just because it looks good on paper. Plus if you like your choice of job, you'll likely get more out of it for the MBA anyhow. I haven't yet seen a profile from you which you can't a logical and passionate career arc from.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I change jobs? Need some advice [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 09:16
Thanks for the insight - makes sense.
Re: Should I change jobs? Need some advice   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2011, 09:16