Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Apr 2015, 22:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I delay taking the test?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Should I delay taking the test? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2008, 10:54
I took the Kaplan course starting in Nov and ended in mid-Dec. During that time, I was more concentrated on completing the assignments and reviews, so I only used Kap material. I've taken 4 of their CATs so far and have been averaging about 570 on them.

I planned to take the actual test in the beginning of Feb but I was wondering if a month of more diligent studying with other material will be enough for me to score in the high 600's or even 700. Any advice? Is this a realistic goal? Also know that I really am limited to taking the test sometime in Feb b/c I will be travelling in March and don't want that to impact my studying.

One other related question: My access to the Kaplan material online expires mid-Feb - should I find out if this can be extended, or should I just forget about going through the trouble and use other stuff from here on out, such as OG and other Kap books?

Lastly, I've been reading this forum for about a week and wish I found it before - you guys are awesome! :-D
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

Re: Should I delay taking the test? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2008, 13:21
An important thing to keep in mind is that your Kaplan CAT results are not an accurate representation of your true score. I was consistently scoring in the low 600s on my Kaplan CAT but ended up with a 720 on the real thing. If you want the most accurate gauge of how you are doing, then take the GMATPrep CATs found on mba.com (I got 730 and 760 on those).
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I delay taking the test? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 04:33
Thanks, that seems to be the consensus since I've been reading the forum and couldn't wait to take the GMATPrep this weekend - I got 590. Is a little under 2 months enough to get that up to maybe 700?
Current Student

Re: Should I delay taking the test? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 10:57
It depends. Are you keeping an error log and learning from your mistakes? I feel like that's key to really improving your score.
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I delay taking the test? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 11:21
I try my best, but I still freeze sometimes and get stuck on silly things, and I need to work on my timing. Trying to stay optimistic, but still studying daily!
Current Student

Re: Should I delay taking the test? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 23:06
Stick with it. It's all about discipline and learning from your mistakes.
Current Student

Re: Should I delay taking the test? [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2008, 08:48
I started my Kaplan course with a 540 or 590 (can't remember exactly). After the course, I spent a month studying and ended up with a 710. I think my highest ever Kaplan score was 670. Take the test when you're ready. Schedule it for when you want to and if you feel you aren't ready when the time nears, you can always push it back further. The financial penalty isn't huge.

Plus, you can always take your study books with you on your travels. I went to Europe and all over the U.S. during the time I was preparing. Did a lot of studying on airplanes, at airports, and in hotels. It just depends on how bad you want that score.
Re: Should I delay taking the test?   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2008, 08:48