Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 09:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I do an MBA? Please help me!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Should I do an MBA? Please help me! [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 14:11
Hi

my name is Riccardo, I am 21 years old and am currently in my third year of undergraduate program at Bocconi University in Milan, Italy. I recently did the GMAT and scored 750 with a 6.0 AWA. I am studying Finance, and my chief objective is to find a job in the Equities Trading Area of a big investment bank such as Goldman, Merril Lynch, etc.

My problem is the following: i have the chance to continue studying, doing a Master of Science in Finance here at Bocconi for the next 2 years, or start looking for a job and then try to enter in a good MBA program (i thought Harvard or Stanford) after 2 or 3 years work experience in a prestigious bank. The point is: will an MBA be useful FOR THE CAREER I WANT TO PURSUE??

I am a bit confused if the MBA only builds up for future business leaders or if it could be useful also for me who wants to become a trader or investment manager.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks a lot

Riccardo
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 18:34
MBA programs serve two major teaching functions:
1) Teach leadership and management skills
2) Teach functional skills (e.g., analytical skills)

The second set of skills is probably more relevant to what you are seeking at the present time. These are also the types of skills that students can learn from specialized masters programs. However, in the long run, the leadership and management skills will be useful if you wish to move away from trading.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I do an MBA? Please help me! [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 20:59
Depends on what you want to get.
To me, I went back to school with three years work experience.

Good luck!

eribold wrote:
Hi

my name is Riccardo, I am 21 years old and am currently in my third year of undergraduate program at Bocconi University in Milan, Italy. I recently did the GMAT and scored 750 with a 6.0 AWA. I am studying Finance, and my chief objective is to find a job in the Equities Trading Area of a big investment bank such as Goldman, Merril Lynch, etc.

My problem is the following: i have the chance to continue studying, doing a Master of Science in Finance here at Bocconi for the next 2 years, or start looking for a job and then try to enter in a good MBA program (i thought Harvard or Stanford) after 2 or 3 years work experience in a prestigious bank. The point is: will an MBA be useful FOR THE CAREER I WANT TO PURSUE??

I am a bit confused if the MBA only builds up for future business leaders or if it could be useful also for me who wants to become a trader or investment manager.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks a lot

Riccardo
Re: Should I do an MBA? Please help me!   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2007, 20:59