Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I/Do I need to include this transcript?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.28
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Should I/Do I need to include this transcript? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 14:49
Quick background: I am a military officer being medically boarded (anticipate a medical retirement around this time next year), and looking at applying to B-School for the class of 2017. I took three online MBA courses back in 2010. I was ambitious and thought I could get a MBA and function as a platoon leader all at once (I couldn't). I got an A on the first two, but the last course I couldn't finish because I got sent on a training exercise for 30 days with no internet. I didn't really consider petitioning to drop the grade or anything at that point, just took the F and moved on with my career. Well now I am trying to figure out the best strategy going forward. Should I just not include those classes/transcript on my application, attempt to petition to have the grade removed, or retake the course (it will remove the grade from my GPA, but not the grade from the transcript)? Thanks for the help.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I/Do I need to include this transcript? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 15:06
Expert's post
Hey mate,

Great question! It'd be helpful if you could share the title of the course. Some courses are pretty useful to have - so retaking it could help. That said, the reason behind the grade makes perfect sense. You could explain it away in an application if it came down to that. You don't want to go the route where you just don't report it. If you get in, you'll need to provide an official version and that will have the grade which will lead to complications. And there isn't something here that needs to be hidden. The best option would be to contact the school and see if they'll just take it off the record. If they don't, and you retake it, you can explain the previous grade in an optional essay easily. If you don't retake it either, then the optional essay is still the place to provide context.

Your situation isn't common but that doesn't mean it's any less credible!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I/Do I need to include this transcript? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 07:44
Expert's post
kaplanmj wrote:
Quick background: I am a military officer being medically boarded (anticipate a medical retirement around this time next year), and looking at applying to B-School for the class of 2017. I took three online MBA courses back in 2010. I was ambitious and thought I could get a MBA and function as a platoon leader all at once (I couldn't). I got an A on the first two, but the last course I couldn't finish because I got sent on a training exercise for 30 days with no internet. I didn't really consider petitioning to drop the grade or anything at that point, just took the F and moved on with my career. Well now I am trying to figure out the best strategy going forward. Should I just not include those classes/transcript on my application, attempt to petition to have the grade removed, or retake the course (it will remove the grade from my GPA, but not the grade from the transcript)? Thanks for the help.

Since you are talking about one course, might as well retake and get that off your GPA, methinks…

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Should I/Do I need to include this transcript?   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2014, 07:44