Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.2
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.2
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Should I dream about MBA? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bagcanbabayigit wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
bagcanbabayigit wrote:
Hi,

I’m looking to start an MBA in 2015. Can you please evaluate my profile? Should I continue to believe in this dream and keep fighting with GMAT beast!!!

WHY MBA?

- Career Shift (Transition into consulting)
- International Experience / One time life experience
- Networking

TARGET SCHOOLS:
- YALE SOM (Dream)
- Johnson
- Tepper or UNC or both of them (For safe side)

* I am also planning to apply two more b-schools in US. However, I have not chosen them yet. Possible schools are listed below;

- Tuck ( I am not sure whether I can get an acceptance from a top 10 b-school)
- Booth ( I am not sure whether I can get an acceptance from a top 10 b-school)
- UCLA
- Darden
- Kellogg (Same as Booth, question marks about top 10)
- Duke

* Should I consider to use one of my bullet in Elite Schools (Harvard, Stanford, Wharton)?

PROFILE:
Turkish Male / 29 yrs old
Education: Middle East Technical University ( One of the top three universities in Turkey)
GPA: 3.16 ( A bit low compared to top 20 b-school's mean. However I could explain my low GPA with an essay. Since I have transffered from another university, it was a bit hard for me to adapt this new environment. Although I got low GPA in the first term of second class, I increased it up to 3.88 in spring term of fourth year)
GMAT: Not Taken Yet (Ready to start with Manhattan GMAT and OG )

PROFESSIONAL:
- Current position: Business Controller (Appointed as acting finance manager in second year) / IKEA (3 years)

Greatest Contribution: Completed two projects which were applied to whole IKEA Turkey operation.

- Financial Analyst / Procter and Gamble (6 months)

Greatest Contribution: $1M saving project

- Financial Analyst / Coca-Cola (10 months)

Greatest Contribution: Pre-seller based profitability tracking system / completely new for whole operation

- Auditor / Deloitte (2 years)

EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES:
- Volunteer at LOSEV ( Foundation for Children with Leukemia) / Volunteer part time teacher at LOSEV school
- Board Member of Young Politicians Association
- Gym (Greatest Transformation with perseverance and ambition)
- Coca-Cola Bottle Collector
- Chess player
- UN Online Volunteer

Career Goal:
-Short Term: Shift into consulting area and hired by a top consulting firm
-Medium Term: Hold a senior manager position
-Long Term: Build my own company ( Targeted question : How to transform a successful family company or small and medium size enterprise into a global brand? )

Thank you very much for any advice!

Hey there good sir,
So things look pretty good. You have a lot of fantastic employers in your profile, and some great work experience. It wasn't really clear to me whether you have any leadership experience, but it looks like yes (feel free to elaborate in your answer). You also come from a country that isn't tooooo common, so that will make you a bit more "Exotic" which might be a bit helpful.

It's true that your GPA is on the low side, and that's why the GMAT for you is gonna be extra important. It's one really good way to PROVE that you have awesome academic capacities. So good luck there.

Regarding your goals, they seem like they can work. Do I understand that your family has a business already? And that your goal is to expand this business? Can you write more about this? Cause this can be a fantastic goal, although in general, the bigger, more successful the firm is, the more interesting this goal will be.

Finally, regarding schools, how about we see what your GMAT turns up first? :)

When are you taking the exam?

Best,
JF

Hi,

Currently I am working as an acting finance manager and I am responsible for oversee and mentoring of 7 team members in Finance&Operations team. I hope this will be consider as a leadership experience :) I am really so curious whether applying from Turkey create an advantage or not. To be honest competing with such a vast Indian, Chinese and American applicant pool was intimidated.

My father worked as consultant of a minister. After his retirement he built his own consulting company and gave service to companies which was working with government. However due to change in political environment of Turkey, he had to close his company. After my graduation, I decided to gain industrial experience by working in global companies operating in Turkey. Despite the rapid economic growth over the past decade, companies operating in Turkey still have vulnaribilities in economic terms. Thats why I believe in that there should be some consulting firms which help to local firms how continuously reallocate the resources in order to take advantage of opportunities and sidestep threats. My working experiences and true-life family story have helped me to shape my goals in business life. All in all, as a long term goal, I want to rebuild our company and reflect this deep experience to family owned businesses.

In these days, I am preparing to apply for Fulbright scholarship. This has a vital importance for me in order to finance my MBA. After completing my application, I am planning to start to study for GMAT. I bought Manhattan GMAT Complete Set and OG for my preparation and it seems the war between GMAT and me is going to start in the last week of March. I am planning to take exam in June and if neccessary in July.

By the way, I entered the exam of IE (ieGAT) and got neccessary score for application. Nowadays, it also creates a confusion for me. IE is also a good opportunity for me and I have a chance to apply without a war with GMAT :) What do you think about European Business schools and specifically IE?

Hey there,
So yes, leading a team of seven definitely counts as leadership. And excellent leadership at that. This is a BIG advantage for you, so play it up as you prepare your application.

I think that coming from a less common applicant country of origin can help a bit, not that it'll change a poor application into a good one, but it makes it a bit easier for you because the schools haven't seen sooooooo many applications like they do for China and India, so it is easier for them to see your application on an individual level. Also, All Adcoms have some sort of interest in diversity, diversity in terms of race, gender, industry, etc. etc. and although this consideration comes I think, mostly after questions of skill competence and potential, it can still help.

I like your family story, and although there are some details that need to be hammered out before you present it to an AdCom (mainly on how you will practically speaking approach this firm), I think it is a good basis.

IE is a very good MBA program, and if you feel it will fit your needs. I would say that the Top US schools and INSEAD and LBS are all stronger than IE, but it has an excellent reputation, and can likely help you reach your goals as well. If you just want to square away against this one school, that's up to you, although I think it can be advantageous to keep your options open.

Good luck on your GMAT!
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts