Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I dream about MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: AGSM '17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Should I dream about MBA? [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 01:40
Hi,

I’m looking to start an MBA in 2015. Can you please evaluate my profile? Should I continue to believe in this dream and keep fighting with GMAT beast!!!

WHY MBA?

- Career Shift (Transition into consulting)
- International Experience / One time life experience
- Networking

TARGET SCHOOLS:
- YALE SOM (Dream)
- Johnson
- Tepper or UNC or both of them (For safe side)

* I am also planning to apply two more b-schools in US. However, I have not chosen them yet. Possible schools are listed below;

- Tuck ( I am not sure whether I can get an acceptance from a top 10 b-school)
- Booth ( I am not sure whether I can get an acceptance from a top 10 b-school)
- UCLA
- Darden
- Kellogg (Same as Booth, question marks about top 10)
- Duke

* Should I consider to use one of my bullet in Elite Schools (Harvard, Stanford, Wharton)?

PROFILE:
Turkish Male / 29 yrs old
Education: Middle East Technical University ( One of the top three universities in Turkey)
GPA: 3.16 ( A bit low compared to top 20 b-school's mean. However I could explain my low GPA with an essay. Since I have transffered from another university, it was a bit hard for me to adapt this new environment. Although I got low GPA in the first term of second class, I increased it up to 3.88 in spring term of fourth year)
GMAT: Not Taken Yet (Ready to start with Manhattan GMAT and OG )

PROFESSIONAL:
- Current position: Business Controller (Appointed as acting finance manager in second year) / IKEA (3 years)

Greatest Contribution: Completed two projects which were applied to whole IKEA Turkey operation.

- Financial Analyst / Procter and Gamble (6 months)

Greatest Contribution: $1M saving project

- Financial Analyst / Coca-Cola (10 months)

Greatest Contribution: Pre-seller based profitability tracking system / completely new for whole operation

- Auditor / Deloitte (2 years)

EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES:
- Volunteer at LOSEV ( Foundation for Children with Leukemia) / Volunteer part time teacher at LOSEV school
- Board Member of Young Politicians Association
- Gym (Greatest Transformation with perseverance and ambition)
- Coca-Cola Bottle Collector
- Chess player
- UN Online Volunteer

Career Goal:
-Short Term: Shift into consulting area and hired by a top consulting firm
-Medium Term: Hold a senior manager position
-Long Term: Build my own company ( Targeted question : How to transform a successful family company or small and medium size enterprise into a global brand? )

Thank you very much for any advice!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I dream about MBA? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2014, 12:47
Expert's post
Being from Turkey will help you get into a US b-school, since it's under-represented. Your work experience seems fine, but you will need to weave a really good narrative around your choices and why you made them, which should develop into a crystal clear vision for why consulting and why each school you have chosen. You are a little bit older for Stanford and Wharton, but not by much, so it really depends on your GMAT. With a lower than average GPA, you will really need to nail the GMAT (750 anyone?) which will help alleviate any concerns about your handing the curriculum and also will help you stand out against the other applicants who will be applying with a similar background or cultural makeup. Let us know if we can consult with you farther to determine whether or not you fit with your chosen schools. We can do a phone consultation for free if you call us.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews