Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Even Apply? - Looking for some guidance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Should I Even Apply? - Looking for some guidance [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 05:29
Hi All,

I took the GMAT yesterday and got a 540 (35Q/30V). I am very disappointed because I had been scoring in the 620-650 range in all of my Manhattan GMAT practice tests. Obviously, if I was a “normal” test taker I would immediately sign up for the next available slot to take the test, but I’m not. I have a learning disability and require extra time on the test to be able to complete each section. In order to get extra time, you have to submit an application to GMAC and it takes them 7 to 9 weeks (it literally took 9 weeks last time) to get approval from them. And herein lies my quandry...

I’m applying to Kelley & Kenan-Flagler and both deadlines will have passed before I get an answer from GMAC!

So I guess my question is, should I even submit my application with a 540 GMAT or just wait until next year to see if I can improve my score? I have a 2.5 undergrad GPA (worked full-time while going to school and did horribly my first two years), 5 years of managerial work experience at one of the top entertainment companies in the world, awesome esssays with great stories and examples of leadership and letters of recommendation from two very high level executives in my industry.

What do you think?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 05:46
Not to dig but can you take it with the time limit. I know some things like dyslexia really do need more time but if its ADHD or something like that then I just take it with the normal time limit. You dont get extra time in the working world, so unless its impossible then start prepping with time limits.

I dont know what the average and 80% ranges are for those schools, generally you want to be as close to the average as possible...unless you are over it of course.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 06:29
riverripper wrote:
Not to dig but can you take it with the time limit. I know some things like dyslexia really do need more time but if its ADHD or something like that then I just take it with the normal time limit. You dont get extra time in the working world, so unless its impossible then start prepping with time limits.

I dont know what the average and 80% ranges are for those schools, generally you want to be as close to the average as possible...unless you are over it of course.

Oh, no worries... You’re definitely not digging.

It's not ADHD or Dyslexia. I had a serious brain injury when I was younger and have trouble comprehending math, specifically geometry. I usually do well in Verbal, but for some reason did not perform well on test day (I got a 39V on my last practice test and only a 30V on the GMAT). I’ve studied pretty ferociously and haven’t been able to get about the 39 mark in Quant. I’m only really affected by this though in standardized tests, because I’m a high performer at work, have been promoted 4 times in three year and now oversee a $12MM budget. I’m not even 28 years old. I also did better than average (B’s) in high level quant classes in college.

I had 45 minutes for each essay and barely finished both of them. I had about 5 minutes left in Quant and around 3 left in Verbal and was given 112.5 minutes for each section.

Here's the 80% range of each school:

UNC - 620-740
Kelley - 600-700+

What do you think?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 08:05
I am not an expert, but would you be able to explain this in your essay. Even better, why dont you ask the adcoms themselves, explaining your special conditions.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 08:43
toDoorNot wrote:
I am not an expert, but would you be able to explain this in your essay. Even better, why dont you ask the adcoms themselves, explaining your special conditions.

Great idea... Will do!
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 09:43
I'm not trying to discourage you outright from applying (since I am applying to schools that I was told I will never get in to - you've got to pursue your dreams), but I think you need to understand that it is going to be extremely difficult being that far out of the 80% range of both schools.

Clearly you are able to over come your obstacles when it comes to structured environments like work and school. But I think schools are going to be concerned about whether you can handle the pace at a top business school (whether or not this is actually a legitimate concern for your situation). I think if you can manage to get up to about 600 your chances will be much improved. Good luck.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 09:45
Hi

I would apply, but tell the adcoms that you are scheduled to take the test again, and send the new scores once you are done.

This way, if they want to put you on a waitlist just because of the GMAT, they could, and you hopefully will be able to get off the waitlist with your new score.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Thanks [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 11:04
Thanks everyone for the advice...

Here's my plan:

1. Take the Holiday's "Off" - I need a break
2. Submit request for additional time on GMAT (will take 7 to 9 weeks for response)
3. Study, Study, Study
4. Call AdComs at both school to explain the situation; Write letters as well
5. Study, Study, Study
6. Submit application for Round 1 as scheduled and originally planned
7. Study, Study, Study
8. Study, Study, Study
9. Take GMAT in late February/early March
10. Finally - Hopefully get some good news! (Better GMAT and an ADMIT)

Sound Good?
Thanks   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2007, 11:04