Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 05:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I even bother?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Should I even bother? [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 18:47
I am strongly considering getting an MBA but I think it will be a rather up hill battle for the following reasons.

My college GPA is pretty low.

I have a Masters of Science in Education but my GPA is not great either.

When it comes to standardized tests, I suck.

I am thinking about pulling a postbaccalaureate card and take some some business classes.

What do you all think?
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Should I even bother? [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 02:27
You haven't provided a whole lot of information to go on. Without details of what schools you're considering, or even why you want an MBA and what you plan to do afterwards, it's really hard to say how realistic you're being. However, in the broadest sense, it is an uphill battle if you have low GPA and/or GMAT, but it's not impossible. You should look at schools where the student profile most closely matches what you bring to the table - those are your target schools.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1530 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Should I even bother? [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 07:10
Perseverance can go a long way.... if you want it bad enough you can do it. It took me 3 tries to "crack" the GMAT (and I never did crack the math) -- and many others on this site have taken it several times as well. I even know of a few who took it four or five times. A lot of people don't get in their first year and have to reapply but get into great schools on 2nd tries, often with scholarships as well (one guy who was waitlisted at booth one year, reapplied got in, and got a scholarship at Ross as well comes to mind).

Granted, as the prior poster said, without a sense of what your goals are, its hard to say how realistic they are - but you seem rather level headed so I imagine they are reasonable.
Current Student
Schools: Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I even bother? [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 09:03
Low GPAs can be overcome. Have you looked into creating an alternate transcript? Take some quant courses online or through a local college and ace them. I did, and it helped on the GMAT as well.

http://omnemba.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I even bother? [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 15:04
Thank you all for your input. I basically got the same response from others regarding my situation and I am going to go for broke and preparing for
the GMAT.
Re: Should I even bother?   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2009, 15:04