Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should i forget about Fall 2013 season?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 610 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Should i forget about Fall 2013 season? [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 04:15
Hi ,

I just gave the GMAT and scored a mere 610. Q 45 & V 29. My GMAT prep scores were 650 & 670. Manhattan GMAT scores were 540, 610, 640, 650, 640. The real GMAT went just fine until i saw the score.

So my question is should i waste time and resources applying to the below colleges.
CMU Tepper
Purdue Krannert
Texas McCombs
NUS Singapore

all their GMAT averages seem to be around 680 and i am not in a position now to retake the test.

I have been working full time since 2010 & have 2 awards at work & 1 promotion (Negotiating the next one with my manager).
Work experience quality is good, constant interaction with the client & i can get good LOR's.
Average GPA, good extra-curriculars.

My question is will the schools even consider reading my application given the 610? Cause i dont want to be wasting a year putting all my efforts into essays and having a sad New-Year!. Let alone the costs of applying.

Please do let me know if you have an opinion.
Much appreciated!

Regards

Last edited by JohnnieWalker on 10 May 2012, 02:36, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 3.47
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Should i forget about Fall 2013 season? [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 04:20
This post received
KUDOS
If I were in your shoes, I would probably retake the test.. I scored a 670 and I am retaking later this month.

If retaking isnt in the cards, I would say apply to schools where your score is closer to the median.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Other)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should i forget about Fall 2013 season? [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 05:35
This post received
KUDOS
Here is the way I see it (anyone please correct me if I am wrong)

Your GPA and your GMAT score are the 2 quantitative elements an Adcom is going to be looking at first.
You can be part of the 70% of applicants who meet their expectations and have them look at the rest of your application
or you can be dinged right away.
Don't forget that they often have 5 times as much candidates than available slots...

Personally, I would work my ass off for an additional month, retake the exam and get a GMAT score above the median at the school you want to go to. Don't work this backwards: choose your B School, see what are their score requirements and then achieve the GMAT score needed.

Now, your GMAT and GPA are only 2 check boxes in your scorecard. If you really cannot retake the exam (why?) and have fantastic professional experience, extra curricular activities and have great essays, an Adcom is not going to see your GMAT score as the only reason to ding your application.
Remember: 50% of applicants are below the median...

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Kudos is a great way to say Thank you...

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should i forget about Fall 2013 season? [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 08:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi JohnnieWalker,

I recommend that you retake the GMAT test. Remember that your highest score is self-reported on your business school application, so admissions teams will focus on your best score.

If you decide to take the test again, here is some advice: http://www.stacyblackman.com/gmat-overview/

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 610 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Should i forget about Fall 2013 season? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 00:44
Thanks a lot for all your replies. Kudos

The main reason i didnt want to retake is because of work. I work 12 hours a day and it gets really tough.

After thinking about it for a few days i have decided that i might as well have a go at it since i was constantly hitting the 650 mark. I am not naive enough to think that the 610 i got was not a true reflection of my abilities. Maybe 1 out of every 10 attempts would have been a 610 and incidently it happened at my first attempt. Hard luck, but i got to move on.

Im going to retake within the next 5-6 weeks & hope i get above the median for the 5 colleges mentioned cause im really not keen on any other program.

Thanks again for your time, as i know how precious everyone's is.

Regards