Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I get an M.S. Finance degree?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Should I get an M.S. Finance degree? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 14:18
I graduated in 2011 with a degree in Marketing. I had 2 related internships back in '07. I was supposed to graduate in 09, but I had to leave school for family reasons, shy of 3 classes. I ended up getting a job a little over 5 months after I left college working for a major bank where I'm still employed. I finished my degree and relocated to a different city. I want to go back to school. Ideally I'd like to stay in the financial services industry, not necessarily in the consumer or personal finance side. I really love marketing and enjoyed my marketing classes, but I'm not sure that it's a good fit for me as a career, as I am having difficulty making a switch into that field. I've looked into some of the career fields with finance and it is appealing, although not as much as marketing. I am strongly considering a local program where I will be able to work and attend school, which is great because my employer has tuition reimbursement. But I am really torn if I should study finance or marketing, as I am really interested in both. Also I do not want an MBA at the moment as I already have an undergrad business degree and just want to take the classes that are necessary.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I get an M.S. Finance degree? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 16:11
I'd suggest you look at MMS degrees. A Masters in Management is a nice middle ground between an MSF and an MBA. Perfect for those with a year or so work experience and allows you to get a good education of business in its entirety. Dukes program is well know, as is Wake Forest. Arizona State University has a program also. I am not completely up to speed on the degree, but I am sure a variety of schools offer the degree.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I get an M.S. Finance degree? [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 15:28
ok, I will look into that
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Should I get an M.S. Finance degree? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 02:58
Expert's post
If you want an MSF, I would suggest looking at programs that are 1.5-2 years long so that it includes a summer internship. That way you could intern in the field and use that as leverage in your job search.

One year MSF programs, while definitely skewing towards the younger age groups, are mostly comprised of undergrad finance majors with all finance internships. These people really want an in-depth background in finance to substantiate their already growing careers in finance.

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Should I get an M.S. Finance degree?   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2012, 02:58