Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:19 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: should i get OG 2016 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi hyder27,

When you took the GMAT, did you have trouble finishing any of the sections on time? Did you leave any questions unanswered (and if so, then do you remember how many)?

Raising a 200 to a 700 will be a BIG challenge and, assuming it's possible, will probably take more than 3 months.

When are you planning to apply to Business School?
Do you know what Schools you're planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[quote="EMPOWERgmatRichC"]Hi hyder27,

When you took the GMAT, did you have trouble finishing any of the sections on time? Did you leave any questions unanswered (and if so, then do you remember how many)?

When I took the GMAT I was always taking an educated guess because I didnt fully understand then, but I did see some that I knew.
Cracking the GMAT did help alot, but I was not ready I guess.
Raising a 200 to a 700 will be a BIG challenge and, assuming it's possible, will probably take more than 3 months.
I change my goal atleast a 600, and I am applying to UHCL for mba, but since I have a high gpa, and they require a mnimum gmat score of 450 and in Quant and Verbal 10% percentile is that a big time or an I do more than that with extreme core studying.

thanks Hyder
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hyder,

Your new score goal is more realistic given your available study time, but it will still take some serious work to raise your score. To clarify though - you've stated that your score goal is a 600, but that the School requires a 450+. As a hypothetical, if you were to score a 500 on the GMAT, what would you do then? Apply or retake the GMAT?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
According to the admissions of my college it says, " The recommended GPA is 3.0 on the last 60 hours of bachelor’s degree and a GMAT score of 450 (maximum 800) or better with at least 10% on both verbal and quantitative for automatic admission. Please note that applicants with a GMAT score below 400 and GPA below 2.5 would not be considered for admission"

so is a goal of 400+ reasonable for admission according to above?

Thanks Hyder
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hyder,

Based on that wording, I would suspect that if you scored between 400 and 450, and satisfied the other criteria for admissions, then you would be CONSIDERED for admission. The 450+ 'measure' would be the stronger goal as it (supposedly) guarantees admission into the Program.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi Rich,

thank you for your feedback, it is great knowing that. How can I atleast get a 450, but thats my basic. Is it thru a lot of studying ? So should i get OG16?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hyder,

Since you stated that you just 'reviewed' a bit before taking the GMAT, it's unclear how effectively you really studied - so it's tough to say how long it will take you to get up to the 450+ level. However, the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years, so raising your score to 450+ is a reasonable goal that you could probably accomplish by October 10th.

Most Test Takers use at least one of the OG books during their studies, so purchasing the OG16 makes sense. I suggest that you study however you choose for the next couple of weeks, then take a FULL-LENGTH CAT test (you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can talk through those results and how you should study going forward.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[quote="EMPOWERgmatRichC"]

thank you! Moreover, I have the OG 13th edition, and im going to get the MGMAt books after my CAT test. and i am on properties of numbers. So should I hold off on the OG 2016 or should i still get it?

thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hyder,

The OG13 and the OG2015 are the exact same book (the OG2015 includes some additional online tools though). Thus, you don't necessarily need to purchase the OG2016.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hyder,

Since you stated that you just 'reviewed' a bit before taking the GMAT, it's unclear how effectively you really studied - so it's tough to say how long it will take you to get up to the 450+ level. However, the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years, so raising your score to 450+ is a reasonable goal that you could probably accomplish by October 10th.

Most Test Takers use at least one of the OG books during their studies, so purchasing the OG16 makes sense. I suggest that you study however you choose for the next couple of weeks, then take a FULL-LENGTH CAT test (you can download 2 for free from https://www.mba.com). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can talk through those results and how you should study going forward.

Rich

Dear Mr. Rich,

I studyed the OG 2013 the quant section and I took the full length cat test and received a 250, and on critical reasoning received 12%, on quant a 1% and 4% in verbal. How should I boost the quant, I studied quant, but the concepts are good when I study, i understand it, but when the problems are reworded differently it is hard to understand it so how should i study better. I need to go into grad school this spring semester. I have only a month.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hyder,

In a prior post, you stated that your Official Test Day was October 10th (which is over 2 months from now). Now you've stated that your GMAT is in one month. Which is the correct date?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hyder,

In a prior post, you stated that your Official Test Day was October 10th (which is over 2 months from now). Now you've stated that your GMAT is in one month. Which is the correct date?

Rich

October 10th is but I like to say a month so I do not procrastinate sorry
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hyder27,

This should go without saying, but if you want advice that is relevant to your situation (as well as helpful and practical), then you really MUST provide complete and accurate information AT ALL TIMES. Is there any other information that you have 'distorted' or not included?

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hyder27,

After taking a FULL CAT, it's important to do a full review of the Test. If you can define WHY you're getting questions wrong, then you should be able to work on those 'issues' and potentially fix them. Since you asked specifically about the Quant section, we'll start there.

After reviewing the Quant section, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math that you just didn't know how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
should i get OG 2016 [#permalink]
hyder27 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi hyder27,

After taking a FULL CAT, it's important to do a full review of the Test. If you can define WHY you're getting questions wrong, then you should be able to work on those 'issues' and potentially fix them. Since you asked specifically about the Quant section, we'll start there.

After reviewing the Quant section, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math that you just didn't know how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?

Rich

I am reviewing the Full CAT and not just the quant yet, the question i dont get in the Integrated Reasoning section of mba practice test:

Loan X has a principal of $10,000x and a yearly simple interest rate is 4%. Loan Y has a principal of $10,000y and a yearly simple interest rate 8%. Loan X and Y will be consolidated to form Loan Z with a principal of $ ( 10,000x + 10,000y) and a yearly simple interest rate of r%, where r= 4x+8y/ x+y. In the table, select a value for x and a value for y corresponding to a yearly simple interest rate of 5% for the consolidated loan and make only two selections , one in each column.
X value 21,32,51,64,81,96
Y value 21,32,51,64,81,96

How do you solve it? Any expert may solve it too.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hyder27,

You'll probably get more of a response if you post this in the IR Forum here:

integrated-reasoning-ir-177/

This question has been discussed in these Forums before - here is one of the discussions (with some potential approaches):
loan-x-has-a-principal-of-10-000x-and-a-yearly-simple-inter-157507.html

Rich
GMAT Club Bot