Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
[quote="Puilunchristin"][quote="bewakoof"]No you should not give up neither you should talk about giving up..
I am no where close to an inspirational speaker.. but I will give you two of Michael Jordan quotes, (game I love, and rules I live by)

“I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed.â€
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
1. Are other aspects of your app good enough to offset a relatively lower GMAT score? Although GMAT is an important aspect for getting into a B-sch, it is not the only thing that the ad comm looks at.

2. Don't give up, but maybe give some time. Take a break before you next test. Maybe replan your MBA studies timeline, since you have a "real" job now. Wait a year or two - you may be in a better shape to conqur the test then.

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Dont give up - Puilunchristin [#permalink]
Don’t give up Puilunchristin. If you are young, then you have a lot of time to get through this exam. Everything breaks after consistent effort - That’s what I keep telling myself when I prepare for the exam. I am going to be 29 yrs old. Preparing for GMAT on and off for quite a while (years 0:), I am not able to surpass the 650 mark in any of my practice tests. My goal is to surpass the 700 mark.

Good luck to you. Under pressure some people do even better.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Send PM
Re: Should I give up? [#permalink]
Puilunchristin wrote:
Now that I have a real full-time job, it takes up most of my time. I barely have time to study again to take the GMAT for the fourth time. Should I give up? Maybe Bschool is not for me?

Don't know about your study methods and your dissatisfaction about your score, but as far as study time goes-

It's do or die, man. I work at least 50 hrs/week, sometimes up to 70 or 80 AND I'm taking 2 classes a night towards an MS (factor in addtional reading & homework for that). I'm planning to take the GMAT in May. My schedule is very tight as it is, but I find the time to study. You just have to find an hour here or there - at lunch, while you're doing your laundry, on the bus or train.
I can't tell you if BSchool is for you or not, but giving up b/c you think you don't have time to study is lame.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wasn't planning on giving up because I didn't have as much time to study as I used to. But I am just depress because I put in so much effort to study and all I got in return are low scores. I am not sure if nervousness and anxiety have anythign to do with it. Just the thought made me believe that maybe I wasn't bschool material. =T

But nevertheless, even though I dont have as much time, I still try to fit in at least an hour or two per night to study and of course more on my days off. It will take me longer, but I do plan on taking the exam for the 4th time or however many times it is going to take me to get to my target score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Which study materials are you using?
It's also important to understand why you got questions wrong, not just what the right answer is.

Are you having troublw with Q/V/Both?

And also-
I wasn't trying to be antagonistic in my post - I was just trying to give you some kick-ass, boot camp style motivation.

There is no shortcut with this test. You just have to apply yourself and learn.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
No way on giving up! :no You might regret it later on. Take a day off to refresh and relax. Then prepare yourself for battle mode again. :plasma
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
all i do is work, workout, eat and study ..

Same here, EXACTLY. And I am ten years older than both of you. The fact is, age is irrelevant: it`s your dedication that determines whether or not you will get into the b-school of your choice and do what you will do with the rest of your life. I know a person from Japan who recently took the GMAT for the EIGHTH time, and he is now preparing to enter Kellogg this fall.

Never say "I give up." Regardless of how busy your work has become. I put in over 40 hours before Thursday morning of each week, yet I still somehow manage to find the time to squeeze in 10 hours or so of prep a week.

Consider these study options around a busy work schedule:

1. Make a study group for a couple of hours on the weekend.
2. Log on to this site for an hour before going to bed.
3. Copy and paste questions to your cell phone so that you can attack a few at a time while you are waiting for a late client, on break, etc.
4. And to reach Michael Jordan status... set your alarm 75 minutes earlier every morning. Wake up, make a strong cup of coffee, and crank out 30-40 problems before you head off to work.

Whatever plan you devise, never abandon your dreams. You will regret doing so later in life...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
My two cents... [#permalink]
I am also in the same boat; I have recently taken the "new" gmat and failed to reach the 500 mark. I was soooo upset, but then realized that it’s an exam that people prepare their whole lives for. People who have excellent reading comprehension skills didn’t achieve them overnight, they did it over time, whether the realized it or not.

As for me, I haven’t done any of these math problems in YEARS... Even in college i did the half a$$ed... But over a month time, I have really improved are now starting to recognize problem immediately. I’m still having problem with DS, but that’s all im time i guess.

As for the verbal, Im actually pretty good at SC and RC, despite my 21 score. Where I lag in is my endurance and speed, something that also won’t be achieved overnight. RC takes a LOT of practice.

Good example someone gave me," So your been working our at the gym for 4 weeks now, feel good, you can take on the world. Well, its not enough, people have been doing it for much longer, much harder and much stronger" --- Something like that anyway.

Long story short, take sometime to reflect. You can take the exam 5 times a year, FOREVER!!!! I know that sucks (time & money) but anything worth anything should come easy. Otherwise it would devalue the whole process. It’s kind of like joining a fraternity in college, its SUCKS during the process, but when you look back you are glad you made it.

Keep trying as I am.

Alternative options:

1.) Maybe B-school isnt for you. Work on certifications, licenses and more work experience. Start your own business as be glad you didn’t waste 50k+ in B school

2.) Look into the EMBA options, assuming you have the experience, most schools don’t require GMAT’s for this.

3.) Look into a MS program, sometimes the requirements are less.

4.) If you scored a 400 for example, and only need a 600, your 4/6 or 2/3 there...
Sorry, a little GMAT quant humor.

5.) Make sure its you really want. So many people don’t even complete the degree; I have a friend 45 out or 60 credits done at NYU. It’s just as bad as not even going...

--Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Don't give up. Watch this video. However, if this doesn't work, then I'm afraid there's no hope.

https://www.5minutestolive.com/quicktime/mrt1.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm starting to like this forum :) Very similar to a card playing site that I frequent quite often.

You may notice in the near future that I compare everything to cards :)

You mentioned that you've been studying hours on end and have taken the GMAT several times. You may have gone over this before (i am new to this site), but how are you studying?

Are you plowing through practice questions? Or are you taking your time and learning first priciples?

Are you measuring how well you do on the practice exams? Or are you measuring how weak you are in certain areas in order to zone in to critical areas of study?

My peers have taken the GMAT and have explained to me that the GMAT is relative to the amount of quality studying time as opposed to sheer intellect.

I hope this post didn't reiterate points mentioned to you before. If it has helped in anyway, I am glad :D

/MS
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
and to add...watch the video above. It motivated me :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey christin!!!!!

NEVER GIVE UP!

Yes, that's the first thing you should do. The biggest advantage I see with you is "time", many of us fight on that line.

I read at one place, "you will not get time, you have to find time".
I'm trying to do this & have been sucessful to great extent.

Keep working hard for your dreams & one day you will see yourself there :-D

Cheers,
Vivek
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts