Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 13:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I ignore MGMAT CAT for Verbal?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '16 (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 46

Should I ignore MGMAT CAT for Verbal? [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 14:20
So I've taken three MGMAT CAT exams and have scored mediocre on the Verbal (38ish). Weak areas are SC and sometimes CR. Reading Comprehension scores the best. I

However, when I've done the logs with the OG 12, 13, and Verbal 2, my SC is ridiculously high. For example, although I test poorly on parallel reasoning in the MGMAT Cats, I've gotten a 92% accuracy with my timing around 1 minute, 30 seconds per question in that category dealing with OG problems. I completed that section, no problems.

I'm EXTREMELY frustrated because I don't know what to make of this disconnection. I've also taken Veritas Prep exams and scored about 44, 46 on the Verbal too. I have 1 week to the test and want to dedicate more time to word translations or word problems in the Math (a huge pain in my side) and not stress over SC.

Advice? People have mentioned that the MGMAT Cats are accurate to the level in the GMAT, but how do I explain this discrepancy? I'm taking a practice GMAT Prep 2 exam Wednesday, btw. When I took GMAT Prep 1, I scored 660 with 44Q, 38V and my weakest section was RC (!!!) back then.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 242 [0], given: 67

Re: Should I ignore MGMAT CAT for Verbal? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 12:23
i do not find any reason , so that u should ignore MGMAT verbal...On GMAT prep 1 too u scored the same score...Moreover, Do not dig too much into overall scores...Just check wich areas do u lack in...u have 3 sets of test nw...so go thru all n check the common area where u r missn.

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!!!1

Archit
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Should I ignore MGMAT CAT for Verbal? [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 00:59
Even I am facing the same issue. I am scoring 34-35 ish in MGMAT CATs, while I scored 39 on the GMAT Prep 1.

My scores are like this:

MGMAT CAT 1 V 38
MGMAT CAT 2 V 34
MGMAT CAT 3 V 35
GMAT Prep 1 V39
MGMAT CAT 4 V 35
MGMAT CAT 5 V34
(did not disclose Q scores intentionally)
Also, my accuracy of SC questions is pretty high when I practiced from OG 13. I got only 33 out of 140 questions wrong in the first attempt. My CR is even better I got only 8 questions wrong out of 124. I seem to have similar high accuracy for RCs too. And yes all of them are timed and average times are @ 1.5 minutes.

One thing positive is that the errors are representative of my weak areas as highlighted by MGMAT, but I have been working hard for last two months and my verbal scores are not improving at all. I need to improve at least 7-8 points to reach my target, I am not sure what I am missing in here.

Experts, please help!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 123 [2] , given: 79

Re: Should I ignore MGMAT CAT for Verbal? [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 17:25
This post received
KUDOS
I apologize to anybody who has seen me write this way too often, but here it comes again: don't put too much faith in practice test scores from non-official sources, especially on the verbal side. It's nearly impossible for test-prep companies to perfectly copy the style of the actual GMAT, and even the very best GMAT companies can't produce consistently accurate verbal tests. MGMAT does a heroic job with their CATs, but it's inherently an uphill battle. MGMAT's writers will inevitably test you on different nuances than the actual GMAT. For some test-takers, the MGMAT CATs are accurate; for others, not so much.

Anilisanil, huge props for the spectacular CR and RC results from the OG. If you need an extra challenge on CR and RC, you might want to mix in some LSAT material, and you'll definitely want to hit the GMATPrep Question Pack for extra verbal questions. You could use the GMATPrep Question Pack to create some "fake tests" if you want--just set a timer for 75 minutes, and do 41 random verbal questions in "exam" mode on the software. You won't get a scaled score, but it will be a decent replica of the test experience. And I'm sure that you're already working like crazy on SC. :-D Considering your CR and RC results from the OG, I can't imagine why you wouldn't top a 40 on the verbal section, as long as you take care of business on SC. Would it be correct to assume that you made some not-so-pretty SC errors on your GMATPrep test? Fix those, and you'll be fine.

Abk, is your overall accuracy in the OG at around 92%, or are you just referring to SC parallelism questions? If you're consistently getting 90%+ correct on all of the OG verbal stuff, then I might think that the MGMAT scores are inaccurate... but I'm suspicious of the fact that you've gotten 38s on both the MGMAT and the GMATPrep verbal sections. Keep doing as much official stuff as you can (OG, verbal supplement, GMATPrep Question Pack, maybe some LSATs, maybe the old GMAT paper tests), and keep in mind that the difference between a 38V and, say, a 42V is probably just a few questions. So fight for every inch and stick with official stuff as much as you can. I don't see any reason to automatically discount the MGMAT test scores in your case, unless your next GMATPrep is much better.

I hope this helps. Good luck, everybody!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 2045 [1] , given: 677

Re: Should I ignore MGMAT CAT for Verbal? [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 17:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
GMATNinja wrote:
I apologize to anybody who has seen me write this way too often, but here it comes again: don't put too much faith in practice test scores from non-official sources, especially on the verbal side. It's nearly impossible for test-prep companies to perfectly copy the style of the actual GMAT, and even the very best GMAT companies can't produce consistently accurate verbal tests. MGMAT does a heroic job with their CATs, but it's inherently an uphill battle. MGMAT's writers will inevitably test you on different nuances than the actual GMAT. For some test-takers, the MGMAT CATs are accurate; for others, not so much.

Anilisanil, huge props for the spectacular CR and RC results from the OG. If you need an extra challenge on CR and RC, you might want to mix in some LSAT material, and you'll definitely want to hit the GMATPrep Question Pack for extra verbal questions. You could use the GMATPrep Question Pack to create some "fake tests" if you want--just set a timer for 75 minutes, and do 41 random verbal questions in "exam" mode on the software. You won't get a scaled score, but it will be a decent replica of the test experience. And I'm sure that you're already working like crazy on SC. :-D Considering your CR and RC results from the OG, I can't imagine why you wouldn't top a 40 on the verbal section, as long as you take care of business on SC. Would it be correct to assume that you made some not-so-pretty SC errors on your GMATPrep test? Fix those, and you'll be fine.

Abk, is your overall accuracy in the OG at around 92%, or are you just referring to SC parallelism questions? If you're consistently getting 90%+ correct on all of the OG verbal stuff, then I might think that the MGMAT scores are inaccurate... but I'm suspicious of the fact that you've gotten 38s on both the MGMAT and the GMATPrep verbal sections. Keep doing as much official stuff as you can (OG, verbal supplement, GMATPrep Question Pack, maybe some LSATs, maybe the old GMAT paper tests), and keep in mind that the difference between a 38V and, say, a 42V is probably just a few questions. So fight for every inch and stick with official stuff as much as you can. I don't see any reason to automatically discount the MGMAT test scores in your case, unless your next GMATPrep is much better.

mastermind :P

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Should I ignore MGMAT CAT for Verbal? [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 18:38
GMATNinja wrote:

thanks
You are right about the gmat prep test. in verbal I got 12 out of 37 questions wrong.
sc 9
cr 2
rc 1
I intentionally marked 2 sc questions wrong because I solved those questions before.
I bought verbal review. will purchase question pack 1 too. Let's see how things turn for me.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 123 [1] , given: 79

Re: Should I ignore MGMAT CAT for Verbal? [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 19:19
This post received
KUDOS
Wow, that's a dramatic distribution of errors. You can absolutely succeed at this, Anilisanil.

Is it possible that you're doing the SC questions based mostly on sound and instinct? You clearly have great verbal skills, and that can sort of work against you on SC sometimes. If you're worrying about whether the sentence "sounds right" or whether it's awkward or wordy, you're going to get into trouble--the correct answers often sound like crap, especially on harder questions. The answer choices that "sound good" often contain a mechanical error or change the meaning of the sentence somehow.

I could be completely wrong, but I'm guessing that a more methodical, less "ear-based" approach might get you somewhere...

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Re: Should I ignore MGMAT CAT for Verbal?   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2013, 19:19