Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I or Shouldn't I?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Should I or Shouldn't I? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2006, 01:07
Hello Everyone,

I took my GMAT day before yesterday and got a meagre 650. I call it "meagre", because i averaged 690 in the 8 Kaplan Tests that i took and scored a 630 on my first GMATPrep (due to over confidence) and a 680 on my second GMATPrep.

The first GMATPrep surely brought me down to earth, and i concentrated really hard for my second test. While writing the actual GMAT, i was confident that i'd land up between a 680 and a 700. But that wasn't to be.

Anyway, my question is whether i should take the GMAT again, maybe in a month's time? What score should i be targeting?

I have completed the OG 10th and 11th edition. I have also finished the enitre Kaplan course material. Should i concentrate on any other material like Kaplan 800 or Manhattan Prep? If i take the GMATPrep again, what are the chances that i'll see the same questions? Do let me know what you think.

Thank You
Amit
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1529 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2006, 04:10
That really depends on where you are looking to apply. A 650 score is probably quite reasonable for places like Georgetown for example. Also depends on your GPA - if its low, you need to compensate with your GMAT.

School & Average GMAT
Northwestern 700
Chicago 695
Wharton (Philadelphia, PA) 716
Stanford (California) 711
Harvard (Boston) 707
Michigan (Ann Arbor) 692
Cornell (Ithaca) 673
Columbia (New York) 706
MIT (Cambridge, MA) 697
Dartmouth (Hanover, NH) 704
Duke (Durham, NC) 707
Virginia (Charlottesville, VA) 680
NYU 700
UCLA 705
CMU (Pittsburgh, PA) 691
UNC (Chapel Hill, NC) 652
UC Berkeley 701
Indiana 644
Texas - Austin 670
Emory (Atlanta, GA) 680
Purdue (Lafayete, IN) 667
Yale (New Haven, CT) 696
Washington U (St Louis, MO) 649
Notre Dame (Notre Dame, IN) 657
Georgetown 660

Where are you looking to apply?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2006, 06:56
Thanks for the reply Rhyme.

Well! Doesnt everyone want the top 10? So do i. That is why i plan to take my GMAT again. I am planning to apply to 8 schools.

Havent decided which ones, but am sure that will have 3 from top 10, 3 from 10-20, and 2 from 20-30.

So what do you think? What are my chances? and how do i go about studying for GMAT? My GPA is on the lower side, around 2.8, and i will have 2 years of work ex by the time i leave. :shock:

I am sure i can have convincing essays and my recos will also be pretty decent. I am not that bad at convincing others either, so the interview shouldn't really be a problem either. So what do i do :?:

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1529 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2006, 13:45
SuperHumanAmit wrote:
So what do you think? What are my chances? and how do i go about studying for GMAT? My GPA is on the lower side, around 2.8, and i will have 2 years of work ex by the time i leave. :shock:
Thanks

My advice would be to retake. A 2.8 is low, and if you stand a chance at the top schools you need to compensate with your GMAT. I've heard this time and time again - the lower your GPA, the more important your GMAT. The less work experience you have, the more important your GPA. This makes sense... after all, someone with 10 years experience and a 2.8 gpa - well, that gpa isn't particularly reflective of his skills today. Someone with 1 year experience - well, in that case, the GPA is a pretty good indicator.

For comparison's sake -- My undergrad gpa was 3.0 even - I was speaking with an ex Admissions Director at Harvard the other day ... in regards to my 730 GMAT score, he said, and I quote: "Good. You needed that with your GPA".

So, sorry to say, if you are really aiming for hte top schools, you should probably retake.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I or Shouldn't I? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2006, 16:08
Amit,
I hope you do well. But going back to your self assessment, what is it that you think made you score less than your expectations in GMAT? was it harder than the prep tests, or were you uncomfortable in the exam hall etc? I guess that will help you analyze and also give others an insight into how things go when they step into the exam room.

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2006, 20:24
I would definitely retake. A 650 + 2.8 GPA is not competitive at top 15 schools. But I would also get more work experience. You need to distinguish yourself, and with a low GPA and average GMAT, your work experience really needs to be stellar to compensate. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, but it's reality -- especially for the top schools. I also think 8 schools is 3-4 too many. You need to focus yourself...what do you really want for your MBA and career? Which school best suits your goals, your learning style, your personality, etc.? Narrow your list down a bit and then visit the schools. My school selection completely changed after I visited my top choice schools. One fell off the list altogether.

Back to GMAT....

There's a link on here somewhere for the old Powerprep tests...those might be more useful than retaking GMAT Prep tests. I would also do the Princeton Review tests since you haven't yet...they're really good.

Also be sure to use the error log on this site -- it's great!

Good luck!
  [#permalink] 11 Jul 2006, 20:24