Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I postpone GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Should I postpone GMAT? [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 08:17
Hi,

I need advice on if I should postpone the GMAT? I'm scheduled to take it on Aug 29th, which is 3 weeks away. I have been studying off and on for 3 months including a one month Kaplan course. I just took the GMATPrep practice test 1 and scored a 550 (Q32 V??). I'm much stronger in Verbal, as my background is in Communications/Marketing.

I work full-time, so I can study after work and on weekends. I would like to sit for the test once to get a feel for it, but want to be able to take it again before the Round 2 application deadlines in January. I was aiming for high 600's, but I'm feeling pretty discouraged right now.

Additionally, my undergrad math grades were weak and my overall GPA was only so-so. I wanted to apply for the class of 2012, but it's not looking so hot.

Any advice?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Should I postpone GMAT? [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 11:44
GMATPrep is a pretty reliable indicator of your test day performance. Ideally, you're going to want to get your Quant score into the 40s and your Verbal into the 35+. It sounds like you're looking for a 100 point improvement, which will be difficult to achieve in 3 weeks, but it's not impossible. Your decision to postpone the test should be based on an honest assessment of your commitment. If you can only dedicate 5-8 hours/week to studying, you're probably not going to make it from 550-650.

You'd probably benefit a lot from using Jeff Sackman's Total GMAT Math. It's a $50 e-book, but it's the best math book I've seen for the GMAT so far.
http://www.totalgmatmath.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2234

Kudos [?]: 8389 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I postpone GMAT? [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 01:08
Expert's post
You may want to. GMATprep is a good indicator.
You can use GMAT Score Estimator/Calcuclator if you want to try your Kaplan scores, but it will probably tell you the same.

One issue with gmat is studying on-and-off. It is a test that requires commitment and unfortunately time. See this post for some ideas: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

Go ahead and schedule your test to be 2 months from now.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I postpone GMAT? [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 11:54
bb wrote:
You can use GMAT Score Estimator/Calcuclator if you want to try your Kaplan scores, but it will probably tell you the same.

Thank you Avernusaur and bb for responding!

My next question is, if I push the test back 2 months, but need to take it a second time, will I still have enough time to report my score for the applications in January? If I push the test scheduled August 29th back until the end of October, but need to take it again in November, early December, will I still make the January deadlines?

Thank you!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2234

Kudos [?]: 8389 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I postpone GMAT? [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 13:18
Expert's post
jadechynna wrote:
bb wrote:

Thank you Avernusaur and bb for responding!

My next question is, if I push the test back 2 months, but need to take it a second time, will I still have enough time to report my score for the applications in January? If I push the test scheduled August 29th back until the end of October, but need to take it again in November, early December, will I still make the January deadlines?

Thank you!

It takes 3 weeks (4 max) for the scores and essays to be reported, so you will be just fine.
You can take gmat every 31 days, so if yous chedule it for October 20th, you can take it again, on November 21st, and your score will be in before December 20th.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Re: Should I postpone GMAT?   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2009, 13:18