Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I postpone the GMAT?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 311
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 20

Should I postpone the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 15:52
I know this is a quite popular thread here, but I'm hoping for some feedback.

My goal is at least a 700 on the test. I've finally been seeing some improvement in my tests. A long long time ago I actually got a 710 in my Kaplan CAT. Since then I had 3 straight scores of 610, 600, and 600. Finally last weekend I got a 660. On Monday (this was actually a practice test at the facility) I got a 640. My Quant has been improving, in fact I got my best score yet when I got that 660. 88th percentile (or a 49). I got 75th percentile on the 640 test. For both I got 73% correct for problem solving and data sufficiency. Difference is that for 88th percentile one I got the first 11 correct and in the 75th percentile one I got 7 of the first 10 correct only. Still both are 2 of the top 3 percentiles that I ever got in Quant (I also got 79th percentile in my 710 test).

However, my verbal has gone to hell. In my 710 test I got 98th percentile verbal. I've come to believe that that was a fluke of sorts. Since then I haven't done well at all. In the 88th percentile test for example I had a pathetic 48th percentile in verbal. Granted, I wasn't concentrated all test (I don't know why). Still my verbal percentiles haven't been very good. It was a little better in the last one, when I got 75th percentile in quant, I got 66th percentile in Math.

My question is, is it worth postponing the test? If so for how long? I mean, I know all of the Kaplan strategies for verbal. I can do some quiz banks for Kaplan also. Or I can buy the Manhattan GMAT. I don't know if the latter is worth it, since I have my Kaplan strategies. Would I be able to improve? If I should postpone it, how long is long enough but not too long? I don't want to delay too much either.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Accepting donations for the mohater MBA fund
Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 1860
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Should I postpone the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 16:25
If you've hit a ceiling, it's obvious the strategies are not providing you what you need to break past the barrier.

I would postpone the test and focus on content. Of you can buckle down and study, a month should be enough.
_________________

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 311
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 20

Re: Should I postpone the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 17:05
mohater wrote:
If you've hit a ceiling, it's obvious the strategies are not providing you what you need to break past the barrier.

I would postpone the test and focus on content. Of you can buckle down and study, a month should be enough.


What do you mean by focus on content? Also, I worry that a month is too long. I don't want to postpone too much. Frankly, a part of me wants to just get it over with.
GMAT Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Accepting donations for the mohater MBA fund
Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 1860
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Should I postpone the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 17:16
GmatNY86 wrote:

What do you mean by focus on content? Also, I worry that a month is too long. I don't want to postpone too much. Frankly, a part of me wants to just get it over with.


Content = material. The concepts covered. Strategies are about answer elimination, not about which one is right. When one hits a ceiling with strategy use it's because there is a deficiency in the content somewhere (idioms, sentence structure, algebra, geo, etc.)

Getting it over with includes achieving your target score. We all have/had the anxiety and desire to be done with it, but that doesn't mean cutting prep short and not giving prep its due time.
_________________

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 311
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 20

Re: Should I postpone the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 17:19
mohater wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:

What do you mean by focus on content? Also, I worry that a month is too long. I don't want to postpone too much. Frankly, a part of me wants to just get it over with.


Content = material. The concepts covered. Strategies are about answer elimination, not about which one is right. When one hits a ceiling with strategy use it's because there is a deficiency in the content somewhere (idioms, sentence structure, algebra, geo, etc.)

Getting it over with includes achieving your target score. We all have/had the anxiety and desire to be done with it, but that doesn't mean cutting prep short and not giving prep its due time.


How would I go about polishing up on my content?
GMAT Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Accepting donations for the mohater MBA fund
Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 1860
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Should I postpone the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 17:29
GmatNY86 wrote:
How would I go about polishing up on my content?


Use the details results from a diagnostic practice test to figure out WHY you're getting X problem wrong.

If you have not been doing this, use an error log to track your progress.

The timer tool developed by Walker is quite useful for this:
gmat-timer-56014.html
_________________

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 311
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 20

Re: Should I postpone the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 17:40
mohater wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:
How would I go about polishing up on my content?


Use the details results from a diagnostic practice test to figure out WHY you're getting X problem wrong.

If you have not been doing this, use an error log to track your progress.

The timer tool developed by Walker is quite useful for this:
gmat-timer-56014.html


Thanks.
Re: Should I postpone the GMAT?   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2009, 17:40
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Should I postpone my GMAT!!! gsd85 7 29 Aug 2011, 05:00
Experts publish their posts in the topic Should I postpone GMAT? jadechynna 4 09 Aug 2009, 08:17
Should I postpone??? UpperTaxBracket 2 03 Oct 2005, 10:15
Experts publish their posts in the topic Should I post-pone? lucas 4 12 Dec 2004, 21:19
Experts publish their posts in the topic Should I post-pone? lucas 3 12 Dec 2004, 21:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Should I postpone the GMAT?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.