Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 02:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I purchase anymore books?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
Schools: Kellogg PT '17
GMAT Date: 02-02-2013
GPA: 3.55
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Should I purchase anymore books? [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 11:38
I currently have purchased the MGMAT set and the OG sets and have the Princeton Review.

I am currently considering the following sets:
-PowerScore set
-Veritas set

I do not have the money to purchase both sets at the moment but i'm looking to the forum for help in deciding if I have enough to do well or if i should purchase one of these additional sources, and if so which.

Thanks everyone!!!!!! :)
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 27

Re: Should I purchase anymore books? [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 14:55
This post received
KUDOS
Well, I am not an expert but I would still like to chip-in with my two cents here :-D

If you have the OG 'sets' and the Manhattan 'sets', I would ask you to step on the brakes for a bit. Take a diagnostic test: there are plenty out there, good ones, like the one in the OG and the one that GMATClub provides. Go ahead and knock yourself out with the Manhattan books (assuming they are 5th ed., else you might want to consider purchasing Powerscore CR). Take a couple of CATs and get going with the OG ones, then take a couple of more CATs and see where you need more brushing up to be done. Accordingly then asses your needs; like for example if you think you need help in combinatorics, you can purchase the specific Veritas guide, and so on. Dont indulge too much into getting all sorts of stuff and then miss out on the big picture (for God's sake, learn from my mistake :P)

Also, iff you do feel the need later on, go to the drop down menu on the top which says 'self prep' and check out the 'best books' references.

Hope this helps. :)

disaster-spelled-in-670-ways-10-not-to-do-s-139230.html
GMAT Demystified: gmat-demystified-great-ebook-to-get-started-with-download-140836.html
Tense Tutorial: uber-awesome-resource-on-tenses-download-140837.html
CR Question Bank (LSAT): critical-reasoning-question-bank-download-140838.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 691

Kudos [?]: 3037 [1] , given: 890

Re: Should I purchase anymore books? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 03:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey!
Harsh probably summed up what you should be doing right now!
gmat-study-plan-how-to-start-your-gmat-prep-80727.html?fl=menu
best-gmat-books-118706.html?fl=menu
While I agree that these two threads are THE best posts for newcomers, I also think that books are what you make of them!
When I started out with my gmat preparation (which has not finished yet!) I went on a buying spree!
I bought an ipad, gmatclub tests, gmat toolkit, knewton course, Manhattan SC, Manhattan word problems/number properties, Powerscore CR, SC grail, RC Sets, and later went on to buy egmat SC course. Of course OG and other official materials were bought initially.
Obviously with the sheer volume, I was extremely overwhelmed and that had a very negative impact on my gmat preparation.
I have heard Powerscore CR is the holy grail of Critical Reasoning, but I found that book very repulsive for 2 reasons:
1. I bought it in a later stage of my preparation and I knew CR and its evilness pretty much by then.
2. I hate fat books, and I am a huge fan of online stuffs.
Also I would like to point out that Manhattan SC is an incredible source. But sadly it did not work wonders for me. I mean I could get a lot of concepts and all, but however I failed to apply most of them in CATs. Knewton videos, on the other hand proved to be a VERY solid groundwork (dont expect too much of advanced stuffs from them except perhaps in CR) and e-gmat and Ron's videos did the magic for advanced stuffs.
But the takeaway here is: THIS WORKED FOR ME! There was a time when I was scoring 680-700 in CATs though I had read MGMAT SC thoroughly, watched ALL knewton vids and did almost every aristotle sets.
Then I think Ron's videos and then going through the official guide extensively helped me achieve better accuracy on CATs (I initially used to score pretty good on random small tests but failed to score that much on full fledged CATs)
This might not work for you!
So try to figure out what works for you: Find out if you like the old school hard copy books (manhattan, powerscore are relatively inexpensive over amazon), or you like interactive videos (e-gmat turns out to be the absolute champ here), and go from there. Take a CAT to figure out your weaknesses in an intermediate stage and work on them after a thorough review!
All the best to stellar GMAT!
Souvik

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
Schools: Kellogg PT '17
GMAT Date: 02-02-2013
GPA: 3.55

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: Should I purchase anymore books? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 05:16
Thanks for the advice everyone - I have already taken the GMAT once. I was not happy with my score because in two parts I ran out of time and had to start guessing on the last 5 questions or so. Quant is my weakness, but even on verbal I had to rush my last 3 questions. I have horrible test anxiety as well. I guess what I'm looking for is something that helps me to recongize what type of question is being asked and how to execute it. On my first GMAT test i'd see a question and freak out and end up wasting a good few seconds trying to figure ok what do I do!!! I think what I have failed to do during preperation is to learn the types of questions that are on the GMAT and realize oh this is the process I need to use.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 27

Re: Should I purchase anymore books? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 07:02
This post received
KUDOS
If test anxiety is what bogs you down, you can take a look at this post by bmillan01: gmat-anxiety-99374.html . You can also refer to the MGMAT GMAT Roadmap for additional help.

As Souvik has aptly put it, books are what you make out of them. 'Technically' speaking, you already have sufficient resources to help you take the 'G' out of GMAT (look who's talking :P ) but what worked for someone can not necessarily be generalized. You've got to figure that out for yourself, but in order to do so you need to first start working on what you have at hand. If you are having trouble with the types of problem tested, you need more practice. MGMAT books cover all types of questions, and then you can practice from the PR or OGs. Take CATs in timed environment too and that will help substantially as far as timing and anxiety are concerned. Another advantage of being a GMATClub member is, hold your breath (but for not too long :P ) TADAAAA : viewforumtags.php (types, you said? :wink: )

Lets keep practicing :)

disaster-spelled-in-670-ways-10-not-to-do-s-139230.html
GMAT Demystified: gmat-demystified-great-ebook-to-get-started-with-download-140836.html
Tense Tutorial: uber-awesome-resource-on-tenses-download-140837.html
CR Question Bank (LSAT): critical-reasoning-question-bank-download-140838.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: Should I purchase anymore books? [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 08:38
I feel that most important thing that GMAT books do is teach concepts. The MGMAT books will be great for this. Once you understand the material, you need to practice, practice, and practice. I think that your money could be better spent on question banks. Also, whenever you do practice problems make sure to always review the explanations even if you get the question correct. This will help your recognize what the questions are really asking.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Re: Should I purchase anymore books?   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2012, 08:38