Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I retake? 660 (39Q/41V)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Should I retake? 660 (39Q/41V) [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 14:16
Ok, here's my situation. I took the GMAT on April 2 in order to apply for late admission to a MAcc program for the fall. Given my GPA (3.6 overall/3.3 accounting major), the accounting graduate admissions officer at my undergraduate school informed me that with a 500-550 I would have no problem getting into their MAcc program.

Given the low requirement for the GMAT, I took the exam pretty much cold. My entire preparation involved going over the Quant sections of the Kaplan book for 5-6 hours the night before the exam, and about 2 hours the day of.

Anyways, I took the exam and got the following results:

Q: 39 / 48%
V: 41 / 93%
O: 660 / 81%
AW: 6.0 / 90%
IR: 8 / 92%

So, overall not bad but obviously the Quant score is awful. The problem here is that I figured I was doing well on the Quant because I found the questions quite difficult, especially towards the end of the exam.

It's too late for me to retake the exam in time for any fall 2013 admissions, but I am considering retaking it soon because of my future goals. After getting my MAcc, I'm considering going for an MBA after a couple of years work experience, and am still playing with the idea of continuing onto a PhD in Accounting. Either way, I will be better served by a higher GMAT.

That said, is it worth it for me to put forth effort now to improve my Quant score, or should I wait until I'm done my MAcc program? Can anyone suggest a study program that focuses on Quant? I'm perfectly happy with my Verbal section, and am in fact worried about it maybe dropping on a future taking of the exam.

That's all! Looking forward to your input.

I should add that I've applied to the following MAcc programs, and am expecting decisions soon: U Virginia, U Florida, U Georgia, Wake Forest.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 273 [1] , given: 67

Re: Should I retake? 660 (39Q/41V) [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 04:34
This post received
KUDOS
In my opinion u must retake GMAT if u can lift ur quant score by another 3 points...it will boost ur score....
There are n number of books fr quant improvement..try MGMAT series..If nt MGMAt try Total GMAT Math that deals with basics...it will really help

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!

Archit
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I retake? 660 (39Q/41V) [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 01:57
Archit143 wrote:
In my opinion u must retake GMAT if u can lift ur quant score by another 3 points...it will boost ur score....
There are n number of books fr quant improvement..try MGMAT series..If nt MGMAt try Total GMAT Math that deals with basics...it will really help

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!

Archit

Thank you for the input. After reading your post I looked into some of the score breakdowns and see that I could probably improve my score with decent effort. Should I decide to retake the exam, I will check out your suggestions.

Thanks.
Re: Should I retake? 660 (39Q/41V)   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2013, 01:57