Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I retake a 700? Please review.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Should I retake a 700? Please review. [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 17:37
deleted

Last edited by tokugawa86 on 01 Sep 2012, 07:52, edited 2 times in total.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Should I retake a 700? Please review. [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 17:44
tokugawa86 wrote:
I'm very paranoid right now because I know the GMAT medians have been trending a lot higher recently, and my score comes in below the median at most of these schools, does anyone have any advice? thanks for your help in advance.

Here's the good news--everywhere on the blogosphere they say shoot for an 80% in both math and verbal. You did that. The other good news is that you were a math major, so they won't question your math skills.

The bad news is that it's totally understandable to be paranoid, because as you noted, medians are rising. But--and a big but it is!--I think you are totally fine, especially given the schools you are applying to. Those are top schools, but their averages are closer to 700. A score like yours gets you in the door so that they'll consider you, now it's your job in your essays and application to prove that you're a great fit for their schools.

I'd say retaking is too stressful and it'll be way more valuable to bang out amazing essays.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Manager
Manager
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I retake a 700? Please review. [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 04:59
how many times have you taken the gmat already? if you've only taken it once, i would prbly take it again. i ordinarily don't suggest taking the gmat over and over again, but it doesn't line-up that you scored that low on the Q with a math degree from Mich. and with the way the gmat is administered, i'm wondering if it was just a couple silly mistakes that cost you significant points. just a thought. here's more on gmat if you're interested: http://www.thefirstread.com/should-i-retake-the-gmat/

your vitals lineup to the schools you're interested in for the most part. your challenge will be convincing the adcom that you can successfully go from actuarial work to CPG. that's a huge swing in careers and so what makes it plausible? will you present a career risk to the school? addressing these points will be important, given how big of a change this is. your ECs also feel light to me, but this is just a random forum, so hopefully there's more meat on the things you've done.

hope that's helpful
-james young

http://www.TheFirstRead.com
Former Kellogg adcom member, offering a new approach to MBA Admissions Consulting.

Re: Should I retake a 700? Please review.   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2012, 04:59