Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 21:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

should i retake at 710 ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton..:)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
should i retake at 710 ? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 20:32
hey ,
I took the gmat on 23rd december 2010 and scored 710( q 47 v 41) i am a bit owrried about my quants since i'll be applying to MS finance programs .
I talked to a consultant back home in india she said that with my profile i will need a 740+ score to even have a shot at top programs ( for both MS finance and MBA programs 4 years down the line) and if i take admission in a 2nd tier-( purdue , rochester etc i will really have to work very hard to reach top -7 MBA programs in US later in the future )
I am really confused whether i should take GMAT or not .
I really did badly on the quants part i never scored below 48 on any of my practice tests , so should i take gmat again ?
My long term goal is to - get into investment banking ( M&A's ) then move to venture capitalism - this sort of work requires one to study from a top MBA prog ?
and yeah i did my engineering from a not so good college though my GPA , ecxtra currics , work-ex as of now ( i am 23) is good ...
pls advice

" What [i] do is not beyond anybody else's competence"- warren buffett
My Gmat experience -http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-710-q-47-v-41-tips-for-non-natives-107086.html

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2233

Kudos [?]: 8376 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: should i retake at 710 ? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 20:45
Expert's post
I think this topic probably belongs in the MS Finance Forum and here you will get more accurate evaluation.

for MBA, the 710 is fine and good enough for almost any school for the MS Finance, it may be a diff story.

I am not leaving you in the capable hands of Messrs Saruba and Bmillan

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Certified Credit Card Banking Professional
Schools: Chicago Booth, ISB
WE 1: 6 years in IT BFSI Cards application
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: should i retake at 710 ? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 20:53
Hi

Firstly I dont think Universities consider student scoring 50 more intelligent than student scoring 47 . 47 is a good score. I am still scratching my head as to why u did not get 730 with 47/41 , which is so balanced score.
You did not mention whether you are working professional or not ?

710 for Msc is good . You need to convince them that you have nice math scores in your graduate degree . Masters in Finance is a gateway to Investment Banking from good colleges . But if you work in non-banking sector for 4 years , and then pursue MBA to get into Investment Banking --> then its going to be very difficult . No one can prove whether 710 is worth for Msc or MBA ...even if someone say , dont listen :idea:
To get into MBA of top 7 colleges , even 750 would not help if you have a mediocre profile . You need to potray lot more , which is explained in this forum at many links.

If you are a fresher , with some certifications like CFA , FRM etc you can complete your MSc and then apply to IB...you might get a job , provided the market is good.

Do agree that a score with 750+ gives an edge to you over others , but you would need to figure it out whether you are able to score more or not . If you have time and patience , go ahead and give one more try to check if you get 750+.........

[align=]- Abhishek [/align]

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: should i retake at 710 ? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 22:30
thanks ysr and bb,
- Well i graduated last year ( june '2010) i have 6 months work -ex that includes - own start up( i design educational modules ) , writing verbal questions for a test prep company , and working for a non profit .
- well i do think i can get a better score but a 99th %ile is a near perfect score , will i be able to do that ? -cannot really say ! but i can score better than 710 !
-I wrote CFA-1 this december waiting for the result , but i screwed up FSA big time so is not very hopeful..:)
- I am applying to purdue university , vanderbilt , rochester and a few more my only concern is provided that i can get in.. do i have a realistic chance of getting in a good MBA program in the next 3-4 years ( obviously i am jumping the gun here but i do need to have a plan ) ?

My Gmat experience -http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-710-q-47-v-41-tips-for-non-natives-107086.html

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 478 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: should i retake at 710 ? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 12:30
Expert's post
A 710 is very, very good! Some programs (Princeton and LSE in particular) will naturally be very difficult to get into, but it would be somewhat silly to reject an applicant because his or her score equalled 710. Other factors will be considered, such as work experience or internships, community service, and grades. Again, a 710 is by no means your weakness.

Another option is to consider European programs. LSE, HEC, Bocconi, and IE all offer MSc degrees in Finance. Also, consider MFE (financial economics) programs. This expands your choices and chances of success.

I would, though, strongly urge you to obtain a solid internship from a highly regarded company or NGO. This would help you quite a bit.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: should i retake at 710 ? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 20:19
thanks a lot bmillan01..:)

Re: should i retake at 710 ?   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2011, 20:19