Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 01:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I retake Gmat after 680 and 660?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Should I retake Gmat after 680 and 660? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 06:32
Hi Friends,
I gave my Gmat the second time last month. My scores was 660 (q51, v28) . I got 5.5 in essays and 6 in IR. This is after scoring 680 (q51, v31 essay 4) about two years ago.
I am targeting only top ten schools for MBA. I am confused whether I should retake GMAT and aim for 750+ scores.
I am really disappointed with my scores. Verbal has been my Achilles heel throughout my preparation..never really getting enough time to complete the section and rushing invariably every single time to complete the verbal section. Quant has never been a problem though.

During the process of preparation I have finished og 10, 12 and 13. I also gave 6 Manhattan tests scoring 690 on an average. I have also used the Kaplan materials. But to no use... :cry: I am really running out of preparation materials.
Should I give the Gmat for the 3rd time? (also suggest some new preparation materials :? if possible)

A brief about my background:
Male, Indian ...completed engineering from IIT last year.
Currently working in the multi national software industry
Have CGPA in early 8s out of 10 and was actively involved in sports throughout college..

Any suggestions will be helpful.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 465

Kudos [?]: 1834 [0], given: 29

Re: Should I retake Gmat after 680 and 660? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 10:48
Expert's post
qwerty121 wrote:
Hi Friends,
I gave my Gmat the second time last month. My scores was 660 (q51, v28) . I got 5.5 in essays and 6 in IR. This is after scoring 680 (q51, v31 essay 4) about two years ago.
I am targeting only top ten schools for MBA. I am confused whether I should retake GMAT and aim for 750+ scores.
I am really disappointed with my scores. Verbal has been my Achilles heel throughout my preparation..never really getting enough time to complete the section and rushing invariably every single time to complete the verbal section. Quant has never been a problem though.

During the process of preparation I have finished og 10, 12 and 13. I also gave 6 Manhattan tests scoring 690 on an average. I have also used the Kaplan materials. But to no use... :cry: I am really running out of preparation materials.
Should I give the Gmat for the 3rd time? (also suggest some new preparation materials :? if possible)

Have CGPA in early 8s out of 10 and was actively involved in sports throughout college..

Dear qwerty121,
You may be able to get into a top B-school even with your current scores. If you are interested in boosting your verbal, let me make a few recommendations.

First of all, here's a concentrated three-month study plan designed for someone in your position:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-gm ... l-focused/
Here's a free blog with tons of information that will help you on the Verbal section:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/
Among other things, here's a free idiom ebook:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom-ebook/
Here's a blog about what to do when you are running out of time at the end of a section:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/guessing-s ... -the-gmat/
I also will highly recommend Magoosh. We have a ton of videos that cover all the content and strategy you need for the verbal section.
Here's a free SC video:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/914-the ... rb-mistake
Here's a free SC question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3284
Here's a free CR question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3129.
Here's a free RC question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/2721
Magoosh has a score guarantee --- since you have already gotten a 680, you would get your money back if you didn't improve you to at least 730!
http://gmat.magoosh.com/score-guarantee
Even if you decide not to take advantage of Magoosh, I hope you get the most out of all these free resources.

Best of luck to you. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Goizueta '15 (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 9

Re: Should I retake Gmat after 680 and 660? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 11:29
This post received
KUDOS
qwerty121 wrote:
Hi Friends,

That is a very personal question. (Whether you want to put in the effort to prepare for the exam again or to try with the current score, knowing that your score is lower than the mean/median for almost all the top 20 schools.)

I took the test thrice and scored 640 (47/32) the first two times. Knowing there was much room for improvement I've put in 4 more months and scored a decent 730 (49/40).

Seeing your scores, you have a lot of room for improvement on the Verbal. So If you are not in a rush to apply, i would suggest you try another time. You have already received a reply with lots of suggestions to improve.

I was able to improve my verbal from 32 to 40 thanks to e-GMAT. I practiced a lot on Grockit.
I am an Indian Male and have been out of school for 12 years before my 3rd attempt. So if I can do it anybody can.

Good luck.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS 2+2 '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 1

Re: Should I retake Gmat after 680 and 660? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 02:41
This post received
KUDOS
You know your quant is great. I would spend two months keeping fresh on math and pounding verbal- egmat, lsat tests, and just practice practice... You should get a higher score..

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Should I retake Gmat after 680 and 660?   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2013, 02:41