Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9471 [0], given: 3703

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 10:50
Expert's post
RGM wrote:
I'm retaking soon and I've sent the scores to the five schools I'm considering. Question is for the retake, do I have to select those schools again in order for them to get the retake score or since the reports reflect all the tests taken for the last five years, can one assume that GMAC would update those schools selected on the first take of my retake score?

You must select the schools again; the scores will not be updated automatically (updating scores without your permission violates your privacy and also prevents GMAC from making extra $$$ from additional score reports ;))

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 11:07
bb wrote:
RGM wrote:
I'm retaking soon and I've sent the scores to the five schools I'm considering. Question is for the retake, do I have to select those schools again in order for them to get the retake score or since the reports reflect all the tests taken for the last five years, can one assume that GMAC would update those schools selected on the first take of my retake score?

You must select the schools again; the scores will not be updated automatically (updating scores without your permission violates your privacy and also prevents GMAC from making extra $$$ from additional score reports ;))

Oh...of course, additional $$$ for the score reports, as if the $250 isn't heavy enough. Haha! Thanks for the reply bb! :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 05:47
Well, When I took GMAT for the first time, I did really bad. My score was around 310. It was a disaster, however, I hope I'm going to do good this time, since I'm properly preparing for the exam through different books and a teacher. Hoping to get a lot of help from Gmatclub as well, as I am a new user.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 07:34
Hi,

I am taking GMAT on 2nd august 2010.However,with only 2 years of work ex, I see little chances of getting into a good B school.Also, I want to take a risk by leaving my present job and taking a chance at entrepreneurship by starting a business. I want to give this adventure 1 or 2 years time. If I succeed, nothing better but if suppose the startup does not clicks, I'll go for MBA and apply to B-schools with my 2010 GMAT score that I would take now. With 2 yrs of entrepreneurial work ex added to my 2 yrs of job work ex, chances of acceptance would also improve. My question is that in this case, would a 2 yrs old GMAT score be given equal wieghtage as a fresh GMAT score? Or do the colleges prefer a recent score over a 2 yrs old score?
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2010, 07:11
Hi All,

Yesterday, I appeared for official GMAT test and unfortunately I could score only 660 (49Q, 31V). I am not happy with the score and I know this is not a good score to target top 30 USA business schools. I am from India and have 6.5 years of IT industry exp.

I need your advice on retake of the test.
How should I prepare for retake? I have already gone through all Manhattan books (all quant and SC books- except CR book)?
How many practice test should I give? As I have already used Manhattan CATs, GMATPrep CATs, all major online free tests (Kaplan, knewton etc..)? Which CAT tests will be more usefull?

I want to apply in first round and the deadlines of most of the USA schools is in first week of Oct 2010. Keeping this in mind I should give the retake within a month so that I have some time to work upon the application. Please give your suggestion on this too.

In MGMAT and GMATPrep practce CATs, I got average of 690 (range: from 660 to 730).

At the moment I am totaly confused about what should I need to do. I request you to direct me in the right direction. I will highly obliged to you.

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 16:30
I took the GMAT twice in 2007 (530:620)
I then took it twice in 2009 (630:610)
I took it for again in January 2010 (630 - Q:47 V: 30) making that 5 times. I really scored below my practice tests but I figured that should be it for me. After speaking with a few MBA alums, I am tempted to take it again. I took the Knewton GMAT Diagnostic and scored a 680 after taking the 7 month break from it. Does it hurt me to take it for the 6th time eventhough my test dates are so spread out?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2010, 20:48
I took my paper this Friday and scored a 700 (Q: 50 and VA: 34). I am thinking of retaking it again as I wont be applying this spring. I have a year of work ex at the moment. Could some one help me on this....

Yogesh Agarwal
yogeshagarwala@gmail.com

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 09:19
Hi all,

Just took my GMAT and totally devastated.Have been scoring in mid 600 in all gmatprep and manhattan tests.And score in less than 600 in final GMAT. Please advise me some strategies to retake the test. As I have done all the OG material and Kaplan, I am not sure how to start my preparation again.This is really depressing. I have been preparing since March and studying diligently.Even though I got so nervous in exam and could not concentrate on the exam fully.Please advise what would be good preparation material to retake the test.

Cheers:(
Prac
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 10:13
prac wrote:
Hi all,

Just took my GMAT and totally devastated.Have been scoring in mid 600 in all gmatprep and manhattan tests.And score in less than 600 in final GMAT. Please advise me some strategies to retake the test. As I have done all the OG material and Kaplan, I am not sure how to start my preparation again.This is really depressing. I have been preparing since March and studying diligently.Even though I got so nervous in exam and could not concentrate on the exam fully.Please advise what would be good preparation material to retake the test.

Cheers:(
Prac

Don't lose heart. :) I've been there. My real GMAT was lower than practice tests - nerves do play a big part on the GMAT. It's easy to say to oneself not to be nervous, but that's easier said than done. What I'd suggest is go through the OG another time. OG 12 plus the verbal and the quant workbooks. Going through them again would give you an idea if you'll be able to get your previous wrong answers correctly. Would provide amazing feedback. Keep an error log (do a search for the templates) to keep track of these.

Also, determine what your area of weakness is. After that, I'd suggest MGMAT guides. Simply the best guides one can buy. Expensive for the set but worth it. Perfect course work for re-introduction to concepts.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 10:24
Hi RGM

I revised all the OG question before the exam and I was doing good in verbal.Scoring around 30 but in real GMAT I scored low 20's. I am not sure whether there is a scope of improvement or not. I never score in low 20s in ant preparation test even in KAPLAN :(.What to do now. Can you suggest some staregies to retake.

Prac
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 22:41
Can you guys please let me know some skills to manage My time

Thanks a lot
Prac

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 5

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 15:25
Thanks for the strategy here! I am new to both GMAT Club and GMAT/B-School. I am preparing a detailed strategy of what I need to get tru the first time and if at all I need to retake the gmat...This really clarified many things on my mind such as what is the valid score to consider a retake.

-DK
---------------------------------------------------------
If you like what you read then give a Kudos! :-)
Diagnostic Test: 620
The past is a guidepost, not a hitching post.
---------------------------------------------------------

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 05:03
Hi,

just took the GMAT .. scored 740 (Q50,V40) ... Although this is a good enough score,still,I was expecting 51 in quant and an overall score of 760 .. would it be a wise step to retake GMAT?
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 03:28
I took my GMAT 6 years ago (so now out of date unfortunately) and I got 710 the first time. I was trying for the best schools (e.g. HBS) so felt I probably needed a stronger score. But I was a bit foolish in deciding I'd try to re-sit, instead of focusing time on writing my admissions essays and preparing a strong application. When it came to my GMAT re-sit I was exhausted, bored of the GMAT questions and hadn't made any noticeable improvement on my practice tests. I ended up leaving the test half way through because I felt as though I'd already messed up the first batch of questions - and didn't want to score lower than my first 710 attempt! My advice: don't re-sit unless you REALLY need to...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 00:51
I spotted this post right in time as I am planning to retake the GMAT.

Thanks for the great post!
Stanford Thread Master
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 02:14
thanks a lot for the great post :).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 19:51
Nice thread !!thanks BB!

Welcome to my paintings website - Wholesale Art Mall.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 13:57
Hi BB,

Came to know about this forum and joined few days back. Briefly to tell you about myself, i have 10 years of experience in Sales and Marketing with brands like Yonex and Adidas. Very casually took GMAT in 2008 and scored measily 480 (Q42, V16). Though doing well in current organization in terms of profile, having pan india responsibility, want to make up the time wasted in past few years and climb up the ladder fast. Want to join 1 of these 3- NUS, ISB, INSEAD to prop up my career graph. That's why re-started preparation again since May'2010 and want to meet the 15th Sept deadline of R1 ISB.

Bit about my preparation books(in that order)-
1)Princeton Review
2)OG11
3) Kaplan Premier
4) Kaplan 800

Yesterday gave GMAT Prep 1 - score was 680 (q 47, v 37)

MY QUESTIONS -

1) I did 13 ques wrong in quant still why the score is 47
2) Out of 13, 6 were v. silly mistakes, 4 guessed in the end (which later was able to solve), 2 tough ques and 1 from Co-ordinate, which i have not covered
3) How to deal with these 6 silly mistakes, which i am regularly doing in quant, same thing happens when i give paper test (with time constraint) and happening for long now, do not know how to fix.
4) Probability, Co-ordinate and tough ques of P&C, i am not able to cover, how can this effect my score
5) RC - Was very poor few days back, but started doing atleast 3 (only tough) RC passages everyday and error rate has gone down and in yesterday test not a single RC ques was wrong, want to continue with this strategy till exam date
6) CR - Feel i am naturally good in this but recently through blogs came to know actual CR ques can really be killing. As far OG CR/Kaplan CR is concerned, i feel very comfortable. 3 ques wrong in yesterday Prep
7) SC - Had no clue about this section when started preparation but over a period of time through learning curve, prepared some notes and now can identify most of the errors. Error rate is only 20% in 1000SC material, but surprisingly did 8 SC ques wrong in yesterdays PREP, out of which 4 was really silly realized solving later.
8) Planning to take a date of 31st Aug, please comment on the situation.
9) Unless you really press hard to change the date, would not like to shift as i have worked hard since last 3 months and do not want my family and work to suffer any further. In case you think still the date can be best utilized, what should be my next course of action for next 1.5 week.
10) Next week i am planning to take off from work
11) My plan is to give 2 MGMAT, 2 PRINCETON, 2KAPLAN, 2 GMAT PREP and in that order in these 11 days along with notes and formula revision, kindly comment/suggest
12) 1 test everyday from tomorrow till test day will harm anyways?
13) How can i use this forum in the best possible manner till then,

Kindly reply, will wait anxiously for the revert and ASAP

Thanks and Regards,

a2b
Manager
Manager
Status: He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 01:31
Hello Seniors,

Today I gave my real GMAT and scored 470( Q36, V19). This score is far behind expected score of my dream college. I am targeting 700 + . considering the fact I am 100 % dedicated for my second attempt and can devote 100% time, can you please advise when should I retake the exam?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
PositiveSoul
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Technical support
WE 2: software testing

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 02:29
hi ppl ,

i have been trying to give the gmat for a while now......

my first attempt at gmat prep was 640 but after a month of study i got a 610 at gmat prep 2 so i am a little freaked out as my paper is on the 31st aug 2010 ..should i postpone my test......???? i need a 690

Cheers
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2010, 02:29