Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2284

Kudos [?]: 8887 [0], given: 3670

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 22:48
Expert's post
bseb wrote:
Hi all!

I took the GMAT yesterday and got 720. While my score is pretty good the split is not that great Q: 47 (77%) and V: 41 (92%). I know that it is recommended to have at least 80% in Q and V so I'm worried that my 77% may become a problem. Also, I scored 730 on GMAT prep 1 (Q:50) and 710 on GMAT prep 2 (Q:49).
Another problem is that the R2 deadlines are approaching and I need to start working on the essays. bb, I think you advised someone to retake the GMAT but to spend 95% of the time on applications and preparing for GMAT by only taking practice tests on weekends until the day of the test. Is that something you would recommend for me too?
One last question. When I took the GMAT yesterday I entered my 5 top schools that I want to apply to and that are going to receive my score. If I retake the GMAT but without entering any schools before I take the test, non of the 5 schools that I picked the first time are going to receive the second score unless I choose to send them a report, right?

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations!
I would send the report to the schools anyway, they won't care if you have 2 records and the last one is weaker than the first one.
Otherwise, you can only take gmat on the 17th of November, and you can't request additional score reports to be delivered until your AWA is graded, and then it is additional 2 weeks for them to be delivered, you can end up in a tough situation.

Retake is a tough thing - it may or may not pan out. You definitely fall into the 95/5 category.... perhaps spend some time on Quant (and full length tests - take 2, no need to do more), and mostly do quant during breaks between essays, etc.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 13:16
Thanks for your reply bb! You're right I didn't even realize that the deadlines are so close and that some schools may not even receive my score on time, that would be very unfortunate to say the least!!
A friend of mine who is a second year student at Wharton told me that second year students are required to read applications and give a recommendation about whether or not the applicant should be selected for an interview. She said that my score was good and sufficient.
I don't know, I think that my ego is bruised because I have a master's degree in mechanical engineering and that quant is my strength. Unfortunately, while I took many quant related classes in undergrad my GPA is not that great. This is why I took financial accounting and micro-econ at a local community college and got A's to try to compensate.

Anyways, thanks for your advises!

GMAT: 720 Q47 V41 / TOEFL iBT: 118

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 18:51
Decided to take the GMAT again...downloaded the GMAT Prep tests from MBA.com and got a 700 (Q:47,V39) in test 1 and 710 (Q48, V39) in test 2. I have the actual test tomorrow. Hope and pray that I don't screw up like last time...god bless!
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 18:56
bseb wrote:
Thanks for your reply bb! You're right I didn't even realize that the deadlines are so close and that some schools may not even receive my score on time, that would be very unfortunate to say the least!!
A friend of mine who is a second year student at Wharton told me that second year students are required to read applications and give a recommendation about whether or not the applicant should be selected for an interview. She said that my score was good and sufficient.
I don't know, I think that my ego is bruised because I have a master's degree in mechanical engineering and that quant is my strength. Unfortunately, while I took many quant related classes in undergrad my GPA is not that great. This is why I took financial accounting and micro-econ at a local community college and got A's to try to compensate.

Anyways, thanks for your advises!

yup, I think your score is good to go. No point letting your ego come in the way. You can always compensate for this slight variation with actual performance going forward as you have done earlier. Your score is very good. All the very best! Blast 'em essays now :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 21:27
In first Manhattan mock GMAT test i got a score of 250/800. To say 1 thing i am totally zero in quants. What are your inputs and suggestions to improve my scores. I am aiming for 700+. My job is based on shifts and no particular offs. Thinking to quit from the job and to concentrate on GMAT, my present goal is to achieve the best score in GMAT so your inputs and suggestions highly valuable for me.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 21:38
Expert's post
hash2u wrote:
Decided to take the GMAT again...downloaded the GMAT Prep tests from MBA.com and got a 700 (Q:47,V39) in test 1 and 710 (Q48, V39) in test 2. I have the actual test tomorrow. Hope and pray that I don't screw up like last time...god bless!

GOOD LUCK!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 20:35
Expert's post
Updated

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 00:51
bb wrote:
hash2u wrote:

GOOD LUCK!

Ok, returned after taking the GMAT. This time I was challenged heavily by verbal section. I was well aware I was running out of time even before the half way mark, but I still could not do much and in the end had to guess an entire RC section and part guess last 2 questions. Barring 1-2 questions, none of the verbal questions were straight forward so I had to really read, re-read and think, as a result didn't have enough time. Final Score was 680 (47q, 36v). Its not what I wanted but I can take two good things from this - a) It could have been a worse disaster 7 b) my verbal and quant percentiles now look very balanced percentiles (I have no idea if that helps)

I am upset because I still couldn't get the 700 + score I was consistently getting in the preps but I think I am done with the studying for now so don't think I will make any other attempt besides work is going to peak up in next few weeks, so studying is out of question. A 700+ official score would have given me a lot of confidence...but anyway, this becomes yet another story of partial achievement. It isn't bad but isn't what I aimed for.
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 08:47
Hi,

I took the GMAT today and to much of my frustration I screwed up big time. I score 660 (verbal 35 and Quant 47). I have been following gmatclub regularly but silently. Before taking GMAT, I took GMAT Prep test 1 score 710 and test 2 700. I have been also taken MGMAT online CAT and score from 670 t0 690. Could anyone assess whether I should retake GMAT?

I am aiming for LBS (Sloans Masters), EMBA from INSEAD, ISB and IIMA. I have a decent CV with 14 yrs of work experience.

Thank you for your help.
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 13:06
geekguru,

Have you looked at the average and median GMAT score for the programs that you want to apply to? Usually the GMAT requirement is lower in executive MBA programs because work experience is much more important at that level.

Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 13:07
hash2u,

I know how frustrating it can be when you score lower on the real test.
What schools are you going to apply to?

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 13:28
bseb,

I have looked into the average GMAT score for EMBA. It ranges from 640 and up for some schools(e.g. LBS) where as some school report average score in the range of 710 (IIMA, ISB).

Btw, I would appreciate your evaluation of Sloan Masters in Leadership and Strategy (LSB/MIT/Standford). How is this program rated vs EMBA and full time MBA.

Thanks a lot.
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 21:36
geekguru,

I would love to help you out but unfortunately I am not too familiar with EMBA programs. Hope you'll find someone who will be able to answer your questions.

Good luck!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 07:36
I took the GMAT the last day of August, and was pretty pleased with my score of 740. But now I'm reading that my breakdown might not make the cut. I got 47Q (77%) and 45V (98%).

How big a deal is it that I didn't break 80% for Q? While my good score in V pretty well compensates for my Q weakness in the overall GMAT scoring, does it compensate in the minds of the admission committees at the top schools?

Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Wharton, Yale, Chicago, and MIT are my targets. If you can tell which of these schools might see my breakdown more or less favorably, please enlighten!

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 15:53
MelloFellow,

I was (am?) in the same situation as you. I took the gmat last week and got 720 (Q47, 77% and V41, 92%). Most of the people I spoke to about retaking the gmat told me not to do it and advised me to focus on essays. What background do you have? Apparently if you have an engineering background, adcoms are more forgiving for a slightly lower quant score. At least, that's what I heard. Finally, if you are going to apply for round 2 it's almost already too late to retake gmat.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 11:31
--

Last edited by rockrock on 22 Jan 2011, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 06:46
Should I retake?
I got 750 Q51 V40
I aim to shoot for scholarships
I am an entrepreneur into consulting domain
I plan to enter school in 2012
I don't know if I can spend more time on preparation

GMAT: 750 Q51 V40
GMAT Prep1: 740 Q50 V40 ; GMAT Prep2: 760 Q49 V44; MGMAT1: 700 Q48 V37; Kaptest: 710 Q47 V41; GMAT Prep3: 760 Q50 V44
10-days-before-the-gmat-103450.html

Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 20:50
Rajadi,

Retaking would be a waste of time to me. A friend of mine got a full scholarship at Wharton and scored "only" 740. She had really a great profile though (WE, education, and EC's). If you were consistently scoring 780 on your practice tests then I might consider it but it seems that you were scoring around 750 so...

Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 21:00
Rockrock,

If you have timing issues I think you need to practice more until the strategies become a second nature. Also make sure you keep a log of all the wrong questions, the questions that took you more than 3 minutes to resolve, and all the questions you got right but that you know you did not use the right approach. Let a couple of weeks go by and try to redo all those questions.
I don't know if it's the kind of advice you were looking for but that's what I would do.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 01:01
Hi,
I took up GMAT yesterday and ended up with just 460(Q35,V19).I have planned to take up GMAT again.How should I go about it.I was too nervous on the test day and I think that demoralised me so much on 'D-day'.I didnot do enough of CR and RC.Although I participated in GMAT club forums and tried few questions and got it right,I think I was not thorough with the concepts.I did 1000SC's but still SC is a nightmare for me..In quants I got struck with a question and spent too much time on it,hence I didnot do the last 2 questions.I feel guilty because I prepared for 3 months but not able to make it..I am aiming above 650.Please let me know how to improve.
Thanks!
Aarthi
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2010, 01:01