Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 08:47
Hi,

I took the GMAT today and to much of my frustration I screwed up big time. I score 660 (verbal 35 and Quant 47). I have been following gmatclub regularly but silently. Before taking GMAT, I took GMAT Prep test 1 score 710 and test 2 700. I have been also taken MGMAT online CAT and score from 670 t0 690. Could anyone assess whether I should retake GMAT?

I am aiming for LBS (Sloans Masters), EMBA from INSEAD, ISB and IIMA. I have a decent CV with 14 yrs of work experience.

Thank you for your help.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 13:06
geekguru,

Have you looked at the average and median GMAT score for the programs that you want to apply to? Usually the GMAT requirement is lower in executive MBA programs because work experience is much more important at that level.

GMAT: 720 Q47 V41 / TOEFL iBT: 118

Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 13:07
hash2u,

I know how frustrating it can be when you score lower on the real test.
What schools are you going to apply to?

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 13:28
bseb,

I have looked into the average GMAT score for EMBA. It ranges from 640 and up for some schools(e.g. LBS) where as some school report average score in the range of 710 (IIMA, ISB).

Btw, I would appreciate your evaluation of Sloan Masters in Leadership and Strategy (LSB/MIT/Standford). How is this program rated vs EMBA and full time MBA.

Thanks a lot.
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 21:36
geekguru,

I would love to help you out but unfortunately I am not too familiar with EMBA programs. Hope you'll find someone who will be able to answer your questions.

Good luck!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 07:36
I took the GMAT the last day of August, and was pretty pleased with my score of 740. But now I'm reading that my breakdown might not make the cut. I got 47Q (77%) and 45V (98%).

How big a deal is it that I didn't break 80% for Q? While my good score in V pretty well compensates for my Q weakness in the overall GMAT scoring, does it compensate in the minds of the admission committees at the top schools?

Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Wharton, Yale, Chicago, and MIT are my targets. If you can tell which of these schools might see my breakdown more or less favorably, please enlighten!

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 15:53
MelloFellow,

I was (am?) in the same situation as you. I took the gmat last week and got 720 (Q47, 77% and V41, 92%). Most of the people I spoke to about retaking the gmat told me not to do it and advised me to focus on essays. What background do you have? Apparently if you have an engineering background, adcoms are more forgiving for a slightly lower quant score. At least, that's what I heard. Finally, if you are going to apply for round 2 it's almost already too late to retake gmat.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 11:31
--

Last edited by rockrock on 22 Jan 2011, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 06:46
Should I retake?
I got 750 Q51 V40
I aim to shoot for scholarships
I am an entrepreneur into consulting domain
I plan to enter school in 2012
I don't know if I can spend more time on preparation

GMAT: 750 Q51 V40
GMAT Prep1: 740 Q50 V40 ; GMAT Prep2: 760 Q49 V44; MGMAT1: 700 Q48 V37; Kaptest: 710 Q47 V41; GMAT Prep3: 760 Q50 V44
10-days-before-the-gmat-103450.html

Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 20:50
Rajadi,

Retaking would be a waste of time to me. A friend of mine got a full scholarship at Wharton and scored "only" 740. She had really a great profile though (WE, education, and EC's). If you were consistently scoring 780 on your practice tests then I might consider it but it seems that you were scoring around 750 so...

Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 21:00
Rockrock,

If you have timing issues I think you need to practice more until the strategies become a second nature. Also make sure you keep a log of all the wrong questions, the questions that took you more than 3 minutes to resolve, and all the questions you got right but that you know you did not use the right approach. Let a couple of weeks go by and try to redo all those questions.
I don't know if it's the kind of advice you were looking for but that's what I would do.

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 01:01
Hi,
I took up GMAT yesterday and ended up with just 460(Q35,V19).I have planned to take up GMAT again.How should I go about it.I was too nervous on the test day and I think that demoralised me so much on 'D-day'.I didnot do enough of CR and RC.Although I participated in GMAT club forums and tried few questions and got it right,I think I was not thorough with the concepts.I did 1000SC's but still SC is a nightmare for me..In quants I got struck with a question and spent too much time on it,hence I didnot do the last 2 questions.I feel guilty because I prepared for 3 months but not able to make it..I am aiming above 650.Please let me know how to improve.
Thanks!
Aarthi
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 23:28
Hi someone pls help me.I am planning to retake GMAT after a month.Please suggest me some strategies to pace up my prep(My score is 460 Q35,V19)
Thanks,
Aarthi
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 12:04
aarthis2 wrote:
I didnot do enough of CR and RC.Although I participated in GMAT club forums and tried few questions and got it right,I think I was not thorough with the concepts.I did 1000SC's but still SC is a nightmare for me..In quants I got struck with a question and spent too much time on it,hence I didnot do the last 2 questions.
Aarthi

I think you kind of answered your own question. For the timing issue practice until you can get the question right in less than 3 minutes. If it takes you longer write it down and come back to it later (whether you got it right or wrong). For SC questions, get the MGMAT SC book and study it until you know it inside out. For CR, practice recognizing the patterns, you will see that many questions are structured in a similar way. For RC, practice reading critically tough passages (you may want to spend more time on that if you're a non native speaker like me).

good luck!

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 19:24
Hey guys,

I'm curious what you all might recommend based on my epic fail this past Saturday.

Some background on me: BS in Computer Science working for almost two years. Took a PR classroom GMAT class. Baselined around 450 initially.

I did everything in the PR book, read *some* of the stuff in the MGMAT books. I did almost all of the practice problems in the OG 12 recommended by PR but no more. I would say I have dedicated roughly 10-14 hours a week for the past 7 weeks.

The following are my practice tests- (don't have the Q and V for the MBA ones unfortunately). They were taken in chronological order from when I began studying.

M V T
PR 1 28 25 450
PR 2 25 28 450
PR 3 31 32 530
PR 4 32 28 500
PR 5 32 37 570
MBA 1 640
MBA 2 500

I definitely feel like I have improved and was honestly not terribly nervous on test day. However, my Quant score was horrific. My final score was a measly 510- Q25 V36. I did feel like I was rushing my ass off during the math section, although I feel like I have control of my verbal timing.

And then I took a math section of MGMAT last night and scored a 36Q.. go figure.

So a couple of questions:
1. Should I retake (I'm assuming you're going to say a reaffirming yes) and how long should I study until I do (full time ~8-5 so I have my nights and my weekends).
2. Should I focus just on quant or both?
3. How much would a private tutor for quant help?
4. Bought the OG Quant supplement, planning on doing all of those
5. Any recommendations to get more comfortable with the Q timing?

Thanks guys, I know this is just a post in a forum, but being able to share this story with you all gives me the mental strength to keep at it and to give this thing another shot.
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 20:54
mrzebu
1. It depends what your target score and schools are but if you're targeting anything better than the University of Phoenix online MBA program I would retake it. Personally, I studied about 5 hours per week for 2 months and then 15-20 hours per week for a month and half.
2. Based on your score results track record, I would keep working on both, if I were you.
3. I think that private tutors are great if you're struggling with the math concepts but once you master the concepts you need to practice by yourself.
5. See my previous post.

Good luck to you!

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 21:27
bseb wrote:
aarthis2 wrote:
I didnot do enough of CR and RC.Although I participated in GMAT club forums and tried few questions and got it right,I think I was not thorough with the concepts.I did 1000SC's but still SC is a nightmare for me..In quants I got struck with a question and spent too much time on it,hence I didnot do the last 2 questions.
Aarthi

I think you kind of answered your own question. For the timing issue practice until you can get the question right in less than 3 minutes. If it takes you longer write it down and come back to it later (whether you got it right or wrong). For SC questions, get the MGMAT SC book and study it until you know it inside out. For CR, practice recognizing the patterns, you will see that many questions are structured in a similar way. For RC, practice reading critically tough passages (you may want to spend more time on that if you're a non native speaker like me).

good luck!

Thanks for your suggestions bseb.Which book should I follow for CR?Shall I use CR Bible?I want to practice as many CR sets as possible(excluding the OG CR sets)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 00:24
very useful
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 08:27
Thanks, this was VERY helpful

Go Blue!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 04:18
bb wrote:
let me know if you prefer the self-prep route, would be happy to recommend a few books...

Hi bb..
thanx for your great inputs on retaking methods.. id need some help myself.. i tuk the GMAT bout 2 months ago and scored a dismal 580 (Q42, V27).. am not really sure what went wrong as my scores in practice tests were above 600.. but leaving the past behind, (that took me 2 months to overcome) id want to finally start preparing again.. not that i have another choice..but could really use some guidance over how to REapproach.. its clear from the scores that verbal was my weak area but i can really pin point whether its RC/CR/SC.. similarly for quant.. i cant pinpoint on the topics that are weaK for me..except i KNOW that my DS is weak..

Could u suggest a plan that i follow to reach the 700 level? I plan to take the test sometime in Feb 2010 but plan to take the date only once ive scored 700+ atleast in 3 diff tests.. i wish to try the self prep route and below mentioned are the books i have..

1) OG 10TH, 11TH, 12TH EDITION
2) GMAT VERBAL REVIEW - 2ND ED
3) GMAT QUANT REVIEW - 2ND ED
4) MANHATTAN GMAT 8 GUIDES mix of old editions and new
5) KAPLAN ADVANCED
6) KAPLAN PREMIER 2010-2011 EDITION
7) KAPLAN GMAT MATH WORKBOOK
8) KAPLAN GMAT VERBAL WORKBOOK
9) KAPLAN PORTABLE GMAT
10) KAPLAN COMPREHENSIVE 2009
11) POWERSCORE LSAT LOGIC REASONING BIBLE

i believe i have more than i require! but am still lost over the study plan.. Could really use some help.. Thanks in advance!
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2010, 04:18